Conceal permit and TSA

This is a discussion on Conceal permit and TSA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone use their CWP to pass through security at the airport? I was told by the TSA in Utah that the Utah CWP is no ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Conceal permit and TSA

Conceal permit and TSA

Anyone use their CWP to pass through security at the airport? I was told by the TSA in Utah that the Utah CWP is no good and that they needed a Driver's license or something like that.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    Anyone use their CWP to pass through security at the airport? I was told by the TSA in Utah that the Utah CWP is no good and that they needed a Driver's license or something like that.
    Double check on their web site, but I think all they really want is a state issued PHOTO ID. OTOH, why not use your DL? Or use a State ID, or a Passport. No point to showing your CWP around.

For domestic travel, no passport involved, I like to use a state issued ID. That way I reduce the chance of leaving/losing either my DL or my CHL. A lost state ID is no big deal. A lost DL is a big problem A lost CWP or CHL can (all depending on the state) really cause you headaches.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    In Tennessee out HCP looks just like our DL only printed vertically where our DL is printed horizontally. I keep mine under my DL in my wallet and in a hurry at the airport one day I pulled it out and handed it to TSA agent when checking in for a flight. He looked at it and asked me if I was armed. I replied no. There was no issue because it is a state issued ID.
    Proud NRA member

It may be that your CWP does not have the authentication that a DL has that shows up under blue light/IR or whatever. They always hit my license with their special flashlight.

The concealed carry permit is just that; a license to carry a concealed weapon. It is not a source of ID.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    The concealed carry permit is just that; a license to carry a concealed weapon. It is not a source of ID.
    in some places....in Texas it can serve as your legal ID also....BUT that does not count for fed stuff hence the TSA saying no...gotta have ID or DL card
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Beg to differ with you, but the TN HCP is as legal a state issued ID as the TN DL.
    Proud NRA member

Here's the list of what TSA accepts - short, sweet, and specific.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Depends on what state it is issued from. In Florida ours is a state issued license, not a law enforcement issued permit. They can be used as ID but not all places will accept them.

TSA site says they accept the following as Identification:

- Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent) that meets REAL ID benchmarks (All states are currently in compliance)
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Why use your CWP as an ID? use you ID as an ID!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

According t that list the Kansas CHL would qualify, as it is issued through the DMV and is printed exactly on a DL blank. It only different in that it says Conceal Handgun License versus Driver license. I still wouldn't show it intentionally but it should work otherwise.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    If you have a drivers permit, why would you even do that?? It's sure NOT going to get you any points from the TSA.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    My picture on my DL is old -- Florida does not require a new DL card, just renewal, and sometimes that by mail, so you can go as many as 13, 14 years between new DL cards. But my permit is relatively new, so the pic on DL doesn't really look like me that much anymore, but the pic on my permit is very good. I've had people question that, in fact my last purchase the guy wanted to see both and he took some time reviewing the DL -- it really is that much different.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    My picture on my DL is old -- Florida does not require a new DL card, just renewal, and sometimes that by mail, so you can go as many as 13, 14 years between new DL cards. But my permit is relatively new, so the pic on DL doesn't really look like me that much anymore, but the pic on my permit is very good. I've had people question that, in fact my last purchase the guy wanted to see both and he took some time reviewing the DL -- it really is that much different.
    Well, fix it. I know it is a pain, but go on down to DMV and get one with a new pic and get a state issued ID too.

Of course, none of this would have been necessary until relatively recently. For you younger folks, we used to get paper tickets--no ID required to get on board. You could get on board saying your name was Mr. Mouse. We have lost some of our freedom due to our fear.

Walking around flashing your CHP isn't a good idea IMO. Get your DL updated and use that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links