this year's vacation/CCW experience

This is a discussion on this year's vacation/CCW experience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently went on a week long vacation and thought I'd share the experience....Grady style. No traffic stops for me....flew most of the way, rented ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this year's vacation/CCW experience

VIP Member

this year's vacation/CCW experience

I recently went on a week long vacation and thought I'd share the experience....Grady style.
    No traffic stops for me....flew most of the way, rented car locally in Galveston.

Started off getting stuff ready for the trip: Glock 30, 2 spare 13 round mags, Keltec P11, 1 spare mag for me (gotta have options); Glock 26 with 2 spare 17 round mags and taser for the wife. Got it all in the locked case except taser (in her suitcase), weighed it all....6 pounds including case so I'm well under the 11 pound limit of Southwest. Printed out TSA and Southwest regs, in back pocket.
    Get to airport early Sunday morning, check baggage, tell the lady I got firearms to check, she tapes the signed card to the outside of my case and says to leave it unlocked. TSA gets the bag, scan it, then pull it aside to check by hand. They tell me that I should lock it next time. Told 'em she just said to leave it unlocked and they roll their eyes and tell me to just lock it next time and tell the counter people the TSA said so.
    Carry on stuff is ok'd: my badge, wallet, 7 in screwdriver-flat tip...you know...in case something needs fixing on the plane, approved by TSA...check it, its on their site.

Land in Houston, get the rental and wife is driving while I'm arming up...this is Houston.
    aaahhhh....the beach, beach front hotel, play around in ocean, get some sun, and eat a BUNCH of seafood Sunday night and all day Monday. No oil on the beaches, its all good. Carrying Keltec in my swim suit zipper pocket inside a double "zip" ziplock bag....worked like a charm.

Go to NASA all day on Tuesday, see a big sign out front showing different features and a no weapons sign with some USC code on it, which I was not familiar with. It didn't look like the one at the post offices. I wish I had taken a picture of it.
    I go back to car and put the glock in the trunk. Figured my luck I'd get busted and ruin the trip and my career. Still have my knife and spare mags in the pocket. We go through the visitor center stuff. Finally time comes to get on the tram and take the ride over to mission control and the rocket display (my son had been waiting for this for weeks). NASA police officers working security in the tram lines, with metal detectors. I get close and take off my badge, get spare mag pouch out of pocket, get knife off and put it all in the camera bag. When it comes my turn, I open bag so he can see the badge and I tell the guy searching the bags that I'm a cop and I got my knife and spare mag..[interrupts me] "just carry it through with you", and he points to his badge and yells at the other cops working the metal detector tapping his badge with his finger. I get to detector and he just smiles and waves me on through with the thing buzzing and beeping like crazy. DANG I could have brought my gun with me...but I didn't know what that USC code was all about.

Next day...off to Houston for an Astros vs Cubs game. Awesome facility. I'm carrying but not the wife since its a professional sporting event Saw some interesting 'characters' around the parking lots. SA was on high. Good game and had fun.

Next day...Moody Gardens...awesome place on Galveston Island. Great for kids as well as adults. No signage for weapons...on the building. They have an old paddle wheel boat they give rides on, and when we get to the dock there is a huge sign saying something about 'MARSEC security in place, all persons entering are subject to search and security requirements, anyone refusing to comply with this requirement will be removed from the facility'
    Now this was only on the dock leading to get on the boat. No code given, no Texas CHL signage/wording, no gunbuster sign, nothing specifically saying what the heck MARSEC is
    We go up to gate and they let us on, no search, no wand, no detectors. Had a great time watching pelicans dive bomb fish in the water. I thought my son was going to bust his ribs laughing so much. His abs had to be sore the day after. Really great time overall. I highly recommend Moody Gardens if you're going to be in the Houston area.

Friday....gotta leave, gotta be back on patrol Saturday.
    Get to Hobby, everything packed up properly again. Tell the lady I got firearms, she looks in the case and asks "are all of those full of ammunition?" I say "the pistols are empty, I can show you if you want". She says, "no...those...those things do they all have ammunition?" I point to the mag pouches containing loaded mags (per SW and TSA website I'm good). She says, "I think those will be ok, I thought we were going to need to check those for being over the limit". Now I don't know if she was meaning weight limit or if she thought there was a limit on the number of mags or ammo you could have, etc. I didn't ask, just shut the case. This lady has me put the card inside the case and lock it. No problems after that, no issues with TSA.

Get back home in one piece, tired, but well worth it. No major issues.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like fun and smooth sailing. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

I get a kick out of the airline regs. If you look a t the various sites they state you can carry (depending on airline) about 11 pounds of ammunition in your luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    I get a kick out of the airline regs. If you look a t the various sites they state you can carry (depending on airline) about 11 pounds of ammunition in your luggage.
    Yep, by the time I use up 11 pounds of ammo, I'd better be well out of range, or the threat has been eliminated!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

alas...i'm on vacation next month in the cape....I do not have an MA permit..I will be naked for the first time :(
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

GM
    Sounds like you had a good time. Glad you enjoyed your vacation.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

You didn't state your occupation, but since you mentioned "patrol" I assume your a LEO. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now with TSA, you followed procedures.

However, in regards to all others, you should have carried everywhere with your credentials. NASA I can understand the stand down, but everywhere else, carry.

Or maybe it's too early in the morning and you did and I just missed it??

GO figure......where's the coffee?

Thanks for posting...a very enjoyable read.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Glad you enjoyed the Gulf Coast! You saw the 'Stros and thought it was a good game?! I love watchin' the games, but it'd be nice if we won one... Glad the vacation went well both for CC and for quality family time. Y'all come back now.
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself in "my neck of the woods."

Did your son get to "land" the shuttle simulator at Space Center Houston?

Great story, well told. The TSA and airline people are a hoot, each and every time is unique with them. Fed law does prohibit firearms at NASA and you did the right thing, but Professional courtesy would prevail.

Ken

Glad you had a good vacation, and well deserved too I bet.

Good read, enjoyed it!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    yeah, thats why I weighed it all....was 6 pounds gross....mags, ammo, pouches, all

Quote Originally Posted by profiler999 View Post
    You didn't state your occupation, but since you mentioned "patrol" I assume your a LEO. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now with TSA, you followed procedures.

However, in regards to all others, you should have carried everywhere with your credentials. NASA I can understand the stand down, but everywhere else, carry.

Or maybe it's too early in the morning and you did and I just missed it??

GO figure......where's the coffee?
    must be the missing coffee....I thought it was pretty clear
    "Carry on stuff is ok'd: my badge"

"NASA police officers working security.....I get close and take off my badge.... and I tell the guy searching the bags that I'm a cop"

Next day...off to Houston for an Astros vs Cubs game.....I'm carrying but not the wife since its a professional sporting event

and last but not least....my signature: LEO/CHL
    enjoy the coffee.....I need some myself

Quote Originally Posted by TXcougar8000
    Glad you enjoyed the Gulf Coast! You saw the 'Stros and thought it was a good game?! I love watchin' the games, but it'd be nice if we won one...
    It was a good game....and the 'stros won

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Writer
    Did your son get to "land" the shuttle simulator at Space Center Houston?
    we both did, he also enjoyed building the virtual rockets and seeing how high you could get the payload to go...broke the record for height on that particular machine
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    Great story, well told. The TSA and airline people are a hoot, each and every time is unique with them. Fed law does prohibit firearms at NASA and you did the right thing, but Professional courtesy would prevail.

Ken
    maybe for non-LEOs....but from the way I was handled, as a cop I could have carried

not saying thats the way it should be, but thats the way it was handled
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    It was a good game....and the 'stros won
    This much I know - I'm more referring to our record as a whole. Regardless, glad you made it and enjoyed our attractions.
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links