Beach Carry?

This is a discussion on Beach Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Now that's what you might call 'open carry'!!!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beach Carry?

3D
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Now that's what you might call 'open carry'!!!
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Sure, carry if you are out beach walking after dark or fishing in a secluded location, but do you really need that pistol if you are swimming at a beach with other people around during the daylight hours? I live at the beach, and we have had one person killed by a shark and numerous drowning in the last decade, but I know of no case where having a handgun would have been useful.
    Or maybe someone having a gun prevented a crime and was never reported (as happens in the majority of cases where guns are drawn)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    Read about carrying a pocket pistol in a ziploc then put in a zipped up pocket in your trunks. Any input on this? Want something I could swim with. Seems like it will still be possible to shoot through the baggy if needed and will keep it dry
    What threat do you think you might realistically encounter that you will need a gun in the water?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Not in the water. But at the beach, going to/from, around bathhouses. If i bring it to the beach I will want to swim and will not leave it alone on the beach

I know of no case where having a handgun would have been useful.
    Same here. Beaches are very low crime areas. Need for a handgun is pretty much zero.

It's different, of course, if you're talking about the entertainment and drinking areas, usually after dark. But then, you'll be dressed and can carry easily. The trip from the car to the beach, and the trip back are not danger times. Nobody's carrying anything except a book, some sandy towels, a beach chair, sunscreen.

Where I live, the beach scene is a big part of the economy and almost all crime in the area is late at night, usually some drunk dude, the occasional sex offender. You might consider carrying a folding blade, but I've never bothered.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Make sure you put it in the FRONT of your swim trunks...That way no one will question your carry package...only admire it!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I usually carry a SOG Seal Pup (fixed 5") in the beach bag. Just in case, it's better than fists.

Quote Originally Posted by RickN View Post
    Well, if the shark was coming at you and it had an oxygen tank stuck in its mouth....
    If that happened, I would try to be a good witness.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Same here. Beaches are very low crime areas. Need for a handgun is pretty much zero.

It's different, of course, if you're talking about the entertainment and drinking areas, usually after dark. But then, you'll be dressed and can carry easily. The trip from the car to the beach, and the trip back are not danger times. Nobody's carrying anything except a book, some sandy towels, a beach chair, sunscreen.

Where I live, the beach scene is a big part of the economy and almost all crime in the area is late at night, usually some drunk dude, the occasional sex offender. You might consider carrying a folding blade, but I've never bothered.
    Most of the statistics I've seen show beach areas to be very high in crime. Just not violent crime. It's more of the kind like you went out to swim so I wondered over to your beach towel and took all your stuff. You can do that with out gathering too much attention and have a girls purse and money, ipod, cellphone, and other such goodies. I hear the stories every week at my job.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Most of the statistics I've seen show beach areas to be very high in crime. Just not violent crime. It's more of the kind like you went out to swim so I wondered over to your beach towel and took all your stuff.
    Bingo. You're right on the money. Either casual theft like that, or your car gets broken into. Just as people don't tend to take valuables to the beach, they do tend to stash them in the car. So I keep anything of value in the trunk, and the inside of the car free of anything tempting. While on the beach, I'm either camped out doing my thing, or out in the water in the surf, and I try to stay in front of my beach spot and keep an eye out. We've got pretty frequent and effective beach patrols, which keep problems of any kind down to a minimum.

As a scuba diver, I can attest that if a shark wants to get you, it will get you and do whatever it pleases long before you could get a firearm into play. Your bigger danger would be stepping on a stingray, sea urchin, or similar. Other extreme dangers are sunburn and drowning. Oddly enough, while I'll probably never carry on the beach, going to a Subway Sandwich shop is the kind of activity where I really feel better with a sidearm.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Bingo. You're right on the money. Either casual theft like that, or your car gets broken into. Just as people don't tend to take valuables to the beach, they do tend to stash them in the car. So I keep anything of value in the trunk, and the inside of the car free of anything tempting. While on the beach, I'm either camped out doing my thing, or out in the water in the surf, and I try to stay in front of my beach spot and keep an eye out. We've got pretty frequent and effective beach patrols, which keep problems of any kind down to a minimum.

As a scuba diver, I can attest that if a shark wants to get you, it will get you and do whatever it pleases long before you could get a firearm into play. Your bigger danger would be stepping on a stingray, sea urchin, or similar. Other extreme dangers are sunburn and drowning. Oddly enough, while I'll probably never carry on the beach, going to a Subway Sandwich shop is the kind of activity where I really feel better with a sidearm.
    Yup you are absolutely right. Also be aware of the bathrooms in some areas as some unsavory creatures hang out there for lewd and lacivious activity. My time around the water is spent on a boat so weapon storage is not a problem.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

About the pic

Now that is disturbing. TMI TMI
    “For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.”

I think there are certain times when you just don't carry your gun or don't go to those places that present you with such a dilemma. Personally I would go and enjoy the beach and leave to gun locked up in a car safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links