Beach Carry?

This is a discussion on Beach Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Read about carrying a pocket pistol in a ziploc then put in a zipped up pocket in your trunks. Any input on this? Want something ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beach Carry?

Beach Carry?

Read about carrying a pocket pistol in a ziploc then put in a zipped up pocket in your trunks. Any input on this? Want something I could swim with. Seems like it will still be possible to shoot through the baggy if needed and will keep it dry

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    Read about carrying a pocket pistol in a Ziploc then put in a zipped up pocket in your trunks. Any input on this? Want something I could swim with. Seems like it will still be possible to shoot through the baggy if needed and will keep it dry
    I think pulling the trigger through a Ziploc will prove rather difficult and unwieldy
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Do an internet search for waterproof pistol bags, there are several types and brands. Not a good idea to try and shoot through a baggie. Once you get a grip on the pistol, you will have to "punch" your finger into and through the trigger guard, which could cause an unintentional discharge.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

ankle holster!

okay, maybe not... Salt water? if not, just clean the gun when you're home afterwards. If salt water, baggie won't hurt and you should be able to push booger hook through the baggie to use it. Thorough cleaning afterwards etiher way... and dry the boolits.

If:
    Once you get a grip on the pistol, you will have to "punch" your finger into and through the trigger guard, which could cause an unintentional discharge.
    the discharge won't be accidental... It would be intentional... a finger never goes into the trigger guard without intending to destroy what is downrange...

oh and going into fresh water has worked for me... it may not work for you... less to worry aobut witha polymer framed pistol BTW
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Having spent quite a bit of time on boats in salt water, I wouldn't even consider carrying while in the water, especially with just a ziplok protecting it. Saltwater is highly corrosive and ziplok bags, in my opinion, do not provide enough protection. If you do decide to do it however, I wouldn't do it with a gun you care much about, and I would meticulously clean it immediately afterwards. It might even be a good idea to rinse it down with freshwater, then dry it completely, before you clean it.

3D
    Speargun maybe????
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I think pulling the trigger through a Ziploc will prove rather difficult and unwieldy
    Not to mention you better make your one shot count cause that's all you will probably have due to a sure malfunction caused by the ziploc bag not allowing for proper slide travel and function.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Strap it to your head with a big rubber band. Kind of like this: http://rtv6blogs.com/rtv6_gm/files/2...ubber-band.jpg

Come to think of it, you could easily use the same rig around town, etc. (bonus!! )

Chicks would want you. Guys would want to be you.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    WHY OH WHY OH WHY? Who or what in the world are you "what iffing"?

Sure, carry if you are out beach walking after dark or fishing in a secluded location, but do you really need that pistol if you are swimming at a beach with other people around during the daylight hours? I live at the beach, and we have had one person killed by a shark and numerous drowning in the last decade, but I know of no case where having a handgun would have been useful.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Sure, carry if you are out beach walking after dark or fishing in a secluded location, but do you really need that pistol if you are swimming at a beach with other people around during the daylight hours? I live at the beach, and we have had one person killed by a shark and numerous drowning in the last decade, but I know of no case where having a handgun would have been useful.
    Well, if the shark was coming at you and it had an oxygen tank stuck in its mouth....

I see no reason why criminals wouldn't commit a crime on the beach. Seems like a pretty vulnerable place if you ask me.

Ziploc bag would be a one-shot deal (bag would likely cause the gun to fail to return to battery).

I'm still trying to find a beach solution as well.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Criminals can and do commit evil on beaches, but there are disadvantages to making a living doing crimes on a public beach in broad daylight. Nobody has much money or jewelry with them, and their fancy electronics are limited to small and relatively cheap stuff. No 42" TVs or high-end stereos. A ski mask won't hide your identity when all your tattoos are showing. There are too many witnesses, and they have cameras and cell phones. There are often life guards, with radios that can immediately reach the cops. Ever try to make a quick getaway in soft sand?

An armed robber would be reported and generate a big and fast police response, and a strong-arm robber could easily find that the people outnumber him and are a lot stronger. Bring your gang of thugs along, and you will be up to your ears in cops in a matter of minutes.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links