Carrying IWB??

Carrying IWB??

This is a discussion on Carrying IWB?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a little new to concealed carry, so please bear with me. For those who carry IWB, how do you do this somewhat comfortably -- ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying IWB??

Carrying IWB??

I'm a little new to concealed carry, so please bear with me. For those who carry IWB, how do you do this somewhat comfortably -- particularly when your dress is sort of "business casual?"

I just recently purchased a CTAC MTAC holster, but find it a little difficult (and a little uncomfortable) to get it placed properly -- and to wear it.

When carrying IWB, do you need to go up a pant size in order for this to work reasonably well?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    It depends on your build and how you wear your clothes. Carrying will never be as comfortable as wearing cashmere and silk. It is just something that you make as comfortable as possible and learn to live with it knowing you are safer for it.

Your holster will need a good month to properly break in. That is if you actually wear it every day. Longer if you don't. You have to figure out what spot on your waist is the "magic" spot for comfort. No one can tell you what that spot will be for you. You will also need to find that right "cant" position for your holster so that it is comfortable and hides the gun well.

Your clothes may or may not have to change sizes. If you are business casual you are obviously having to tuck your shirt. That makes it even more difficult as you have to have enough shirt tail to "billow" it out around the gun grip so as not to print. Your pant waist needs to fit so that your pants aren't too tight and you continually blow off snaps or buttons. You will want a good gun belt in "dress" styling. This will make a huge difference in your comfort as it will support the weight of the gun properly.

There is a lot to figure out at first but if you really want to carry every day you will figure it out.

I carried for over a year at one job, wearing a tucked polo shirt, and not one person ever noticed my huge XD45 Service model in my Mtac Minotaur IWB.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by oldglockfan View Post
    When carrying IWB, do you need to go up a pant size in order for this to work reasonably well?
    It sure helps. Your holster is adding about two inches to your waist measurement. Using one with the same size pants you wear without a gun crammed in there is unpleasant. IWB does take a little getting used to. I carried IWB for the first time in several months today. I didn't like it much for the first few hours.

I use the Crossbreed SUper Tuck and just started wearing with the shirt tucked instead of untucked. I wear a t-shirt under the shirt, makes it much more comfortable. I now tuck the shirt and the Glock 22 cannot be seen. I did buy a couple of pair of jeans from a company that has some with elastic on each hip area. Sure made a difference as now I can us the same jeans with iWB or without. The only thing I notice is the time required to unholster the Glock when the shirt is tucked in. Also, a good thick belt will do wonders for making the holster more comfortable and keep the gun from tugging the trouser down.

Before anyone asks, the place I bought the jeans was an old company that has been around for years but I never even thought of them until some suggested them. Blair.com I believe is the site and they have lots more clothes that help conceal.
    Glock G22 .40 Cal.
    SA 1911 A-1 .45 ACP

GM
    I carry IWB and I do not dress around the gun; I do not wear oversize clothes at all. What I do is to change holster and firearm depending of the attire. I always carry between 3:00 and 6:00.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I did not upsize, but the pants were on the big size before. The thing is, you can't plan on getting IWB, or any carry, to be unnoticeable right off. Maybe later down the road. But initially, it's uncomfortable at best. It may be mental comforting, but it's physically uncomfortable at times. If it's too bad, just buy one pair of pants bigger before you go redoing your wardrobe.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I carry IWB 95% of the time. I've never changed my attire in order to do so. 36x36. I'm a jeans and t-shirt type. I have outgrown a few pair of pants....but I think someone put them through the dryer on permanent press, and high heat. It is what it is.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I carry IWB and I do not dress around the gun; I do not wear oversize clothes at all. What I do is to change holster and firearm depending of the attire. I always carry between 3:00 and 6:00.
    Guess that is ok is you are able to own more than one firearm.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Also, moving the holster as little as a half inch can make a world of difference. Try starting out with the front clip about 3 o'clock and move it clockwise about 1/2 inch each day and see if you can find your sweet spot. You may also need to raise or lower the holster on the clips but first. find the most comfortable position on the clock and then start the up or down on the holster.

You should end up with the front clip somewhere between 3 and 4. Don't place the clips directly over a belt loop either, go forward or back to clear it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldglockfan View Post
    I'm a little new to concealed carry, so please bear with me. For those who carry IWB, how do you do this somewhat comfortably -- particularly when your dress is sort of "business casual?"

I just recently purchased a CTAC MTAC holster, but find it a little difficult (and a little uncomfortable) to get it placed properly -- and to wear it.

There's a saying....carrying a gun is comforting, not comfortable. I carry a G23 in a MTAC alot of the time. It is the most comfortable IWB holster I own. Now, I'm 5'9" and trying to get under the 185 lbs. I'm packing around. My MTAC rides just behind my right hip for the most part, and I started buying/wearing britches a size bigger to help accomadate having that much hardware with me. Casual dress or just casual, shirt tucked or not, you have one of the best holsters around IMO. Everybody's diffrent though and 'maybe' something else might be better for you?

Also think about playing around with the adjustment clips/screws to get your holster in a diffrent position. It might help.

A quality gun belt (Comp-Tac sells 'em) is PARAMOUNT. If you don't own one or two of 'em, invest in a couple now. They ARE worth it! If you don't own one then I'd wager that's a big part of your problem. A quick search here on gun belts will turn up a bunch of threads on this specific subject.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have gone back and forth between IWB and OWB...both can be comfortable WHEN...you find that 'just right' spot. You have to experiment a little (actually, a lot!).
    What works for one, will not work for another. Carrying a concealed weapon is ALL experimentation. That is why they make so many different guns, there are hundreds of holster makers with many, many designs, and finally...so many carry spots.
    People who have found those 'best' guns, 'best' holsters, and 'best' carry spots all chime in and claim that this is the gun, this is the holster, and here's the best way to carry. Why do so many of us have holster boxes?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I carry IWB 95% of the time. I've never changed my attire in order to do so. 36x36. I'm a jeans and t-shirt type. I have outgrown a few pair of pants....but I think someone put them through the dryer on permanent press, and high heat. It is what it is.
    ive been complaining to my wife for years about shrinking my clothes...

i tend to wear my clothes on the loose side to begin with...so fit wasnt an issue....a gun belt of some sort is a key and comfort will come with time... a lot of people are going to tell you you wont even know the gun is there...if you are aware of anything around you its hard not to feel 2 pounds hanging from your waist...but you get so acustomed to it that it becomes comfortable and part of your dress...

IMHO :

First thing you need is a heavy duty belt to support the IWB. There are a lot of "dressy looking" tactical belts.
    Second is pants with elastic in the waistband, maybe 1" larger than before you started carrying.
    I now buy tall men's length shirts.
    After doing the rotation method mentioned above, my "sweet spot" turned out to be "appendix carry" with t-shirt in and dress shirt either out or tucked.
    I agree with the statement "A holster is much better after break-in." Mine is. I believe in quality made leather holsters for comfort and durability. Once they have conformed to the gun and your body, most problems go away.

When I first started to CC I was self conscious about having the weapon on me. Now, I actually do forget it's there and have never been "made" by anyone that I know of. I feel undressed without it. It's like your wallet. You forget it's there most of the time, but do protect it from others if needed. When I eat out, by habit I now sit with the "gun side in" at the table or booth.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

I always place mine about 9:30 (left handed) with a hefty forward cant, in order to prevent the grip from messing
    up the bolster on my car (sport searts).
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Go the holster section on the forum and click the thread "how do you carry" (it's a sticky) this will give you an idea where to start.

I carry a 3" .357 magnum at about 430-5 O' clock in a crossbreed super tuck. Took me a long time to get used to it and to figure out how to wear it so the handle didn't stick out a foot when I bent over or sat down. The sp101 is not a huge gun but it's not a small light one either. After the holster was broken in and I found a way to carry it I forget it's there sometimes. I recently bought a custom holster from a guy on the forum that can be worn IWB or OWB and so far it's a little stiff but I'm loving it and just need to break it in. It takles the right holster and the right spot, trust me most of us have a drawer full of holsters we ordered and just don't work for us.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links