Concealed carry in Texas in the heat

This is a discussion on Concealed carry in Texas in the heat within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in Texas it has been in the 100s for the last couple of months. I carry IWB and the last couple of weeks have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry in Texas in the heat

Here in Texas it has been in the 100s for the last couple of months. I carry IWB and the last couple of weeks have been working outside and sweating pretty hard. I tend to not carry when I know I will be outside and working like this. My question is how bad is this on a 1911? Should I continue to disarm at these times or am I over-protective of my sidearm?

GM
    Humidity and salt kill firearms. I am in South FL, and it is very hot and humid here. After a short while it was rust on my stainless steel firearms because of the body’s perspiration. Since it was pit rust I had to repolish them. Now I use Eezox to clean my firearms, and I always clean my EDC every week. Moreover, every night I wipe it off with a soft cotton cloth and Eezox; the rust never came back again. You do not need to disarm, just make sure that you take care of your EDC very well.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Ok, first of all, it's a "gun" not something that needs to be cosseted and protected. The use of it will cause wear, cause the bluing to rub off, and the springs and other small parts to eventually need replacement. It's a gun and is designed to take some abuse.

However, if you wear it in the heat and sweat all over it, that's not something that you want to leave on the weapon. So, wipe it down daily and clean frequently. Especially under the grips.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    get a polymer framed pistol such as an LCP or LCR for use at work, and wait till you get home and off work to carry your 1911, sweat hurts plastic very little but can destroy a beautiful finish on a metal gun very quickly
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    get a polymer framed pistol such as an LCP or LCR for use at work, and wait till you get home and off work to carry your 1911, sweat hurts plastic very little but can destroy a beautiful finish on a metal gun very quickly
    That is a very good option … if you like to carry a poly DAO

Heat, and sweat is nothing to a Glock. That being said, keep your nice 1911 at home during these times. I sweat on my Glock daily, and it loves it.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    That is a very good option … if you like to carry a poly DAO
    Carry an XD and you have a poly single action.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

+1 to all of the above. If the gun you're carrying is something you're too emotionally invested in to *carry* (with all the wear & tear that that implies), then just accept the fact that you've got a 'safe queen' relationship with that particular firearm, and find a more utilitarian pistol for everyday carry. Once that won't hurt your feelings when it starts to show wear & tear.

That could be a poly gun, or it could be a less expensive 1911. Whatever works for you.

We live on a barrier island and get plenty of hot, humid, sweaty weather. I have found that a daily wipe down with a silicone cloth has keep mine rust-free. That takes care of the outside, and regular cleaning/lubing takes care of the guts.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Pocket carry in a good quality leather holster.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Pocket carry in a good quality leather holster.

Unfortunately it does not always help a lot; I pocket carried my BUG in a quality horsehide holster, but it still got rust on it.

There are IWB holsters available with what is refered to as a "sweat guard". Basically the leather on the body side of the holster is cut larger so there is no skin to steel contact. Or, another option is sending your pistol off to someone like Robar and getting something like NP3 put on it.
    Don't let anyone tell you that you have to carry tupperware. You do have a choice!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Unfortunately it does not always help a lot; I pocket carried my BUG in a quality horsehide holster, but it still got rust on it.
    Interesting. I use horsehide too, but didn't know it was considered better than cowhide for humid weather---or am I reading too much into your comment?

Horsehide IS better than cowhide for holsters. It's more supple while still retaining it's shape and form. It also wears better being somewhat more resistant to surface abrasion and breakdown of fibers due to flexing. I don't believe it's more resistant to moisture penetration and I understand it doesn't tool as well as cow but I've never had any opportunity to actually test that statement.

Wipe down, but even if u carry IWB how about a cotton T-shirt or something like underarmor? Either might keep some of the sweat off your firearm. I live in Oklahoma, so I experience the same kind of weather.
    Last edited by soonershoote; August 20th, 2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Add more
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links