CCW Course Prep

CCW Course Prep

This is a discussion on CCW Course Prep within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my CCW class scheduled finally. I may not be able to afford to go to the range before the course. Are there any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Course Prep

CCW Course Prep

I got my CCW class scheduled finally. I may not be able to afford to go to the range before the course. Are there any exercises I can do at home to keep my skills sharpened?

Dry fire drills

Administrator
    Dry fire and practice holster/reholstering safely.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Muzzle control and loading and clearing.

Distinguished Member
    My advice would be to bring a smallish caliber and/or soft shooting gun if you have not done a lot of practice lately. Some people in mine have qualified with a 22 which is sort of like cheating but gets the job done. It does not say anywhere on your permit what gun you used.

Along with the target 22's there were people with large pistols who had never fired them, and some older folks who were having real trigger problems due to hand issues. And also those who did not practice indexing (until the instructor changed that).

Good luck and have fun.

GM
    Like other members said, dry fire; learn the trigger of the firearm you will use during the course. And practice holster and reholstering too.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Dry fire and practice holster/reholstering safely.
    They actually do range qual from a holster in Ohio? Cool.
    In Texas it's done from the low ready.

I agree dry fire is good practice, but add raising your gun and getting the sights on target quickly. If qual is done from a holster, just do the following over and over with an unloaded gun.

Draw, get sights on target, smooth trigger press, click. Draw, get sights on target, smooth trigger press, click.

As far as trigger press, try the technique of balancing a penny on the top of the gun when dry firing. The goal is for the penny not to fall when you pull the trigger.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Some people in mine have qualified with a 22 which is sort of like cheating but gets the job done. It does not say anywhere on your permit what gun you used.
    That depends on the state. In Texas it MUST be a .32 or higher caliber and if you qual with a revolver you can ONLY carry a revolver (it does say on your license). If you qual with a semi-auto you can carry either.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the info on that. I've got three and they were all different in requirements so that was a bad assumption on my part.

Good tip on the penny.

Well, I used a borrowed .22 semi auto target pistol and out of 50 shots got 6 shots in the nine ring and the balance 10 ring. This was 3 to 7 yards. Here in Oklahoma, if you use a semi auto, any caliber, to qualify with, you are able to carry semi auto, revolver, and derringer. If you use a revolver, you're only authorized for revolver and derringer. Use the most accurate semi auto you have or can borrow to qualify with. (Your state may be different.)
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

If its anything like my class, bring plenty of coffee or coke so you can stay awake during the lectures.
    Hopefully they are interesting & relevant.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I've been going to the range almost weekly for about two months. I plan on trying to get out, once in the next three weeks before i take the test, and dry fire around the house. I think dry fire with that penny is a good idea.

My only issue is i don't know how the test will go. One place has you fire six shots at 50ft. 4 have to land on the paper. I'm assuming the one i go to will a different set up.

I plan on using my 226 9mm for the test.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I've been going to the range almost weekly for about two months. I plan on trying to get out, once in the next three weeks before i take the test, and dry fire around the house. I think dry fire with that penny is a good idea.

My only issue is i don't know how the test will go. One place has you fire six shots at 50ft. 4 have to land on the paper. I'm assuming the one i go to will a different set up.

I plan on using my 226 9mm for the test.
    With that kind of practice - assuming you weren't just cranking off rounds to smell the gunsmoke - you should be in better form than 3/4 of the people taking the class.

I've been to two CCW classes in different states, and the only one out of about 50 I saw who was in any danger of not passing the shooting part of the test was a mid-50's gal who was new to shooting and who had - guess what - a J-frame snub. The instructor found her a 4" K frame .38 and she repeated the shooting segment just fine.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    With that kind of practice - assuming you weren't just cranking off rounds to smell the gunsmoke - you should be in better form than 3/4 of the people taking the class.

I've been to two CCW classes in different states, and the only one out of about 50 I saw who was in any danger of not passing the shooting part of the test was a mid-50's gal who was new to shooting and who had - guess what - a J-frame snub. The instructor found her a 4" K frame .38 and she repeated the shooting segment just fine.
    A couple were just firing off rounds. Most were practice. A lot with the P22 and 226. Some where trying out .45's for when I get my permit. But If a serious trip every other week puts me in good shape that's good to hear.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Have an open mind. I don't know how many old men have walked into my classroom, realized that I'm 23 years old and have learned nothing due to their belief that a young man can't teach an old man anything. I've also had students that have been shooting for a long time, but have an open mind and become better shooters in the few hours that they are with me.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links