North Haven, CT

This is a discussion on North Haven, CT within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, The job market being what it is, I'm considering a job in North Haven, CT and would like some general info on the ...

Thread: North Haven, CT

North Haven, CT

Hi All,

The job market being what it is, I'm considering a job in North Haven, CT and would like some general info on the area as well as info on the gun climate in CT, ease of getting a CCW, etc... What areas around North Haven are good places to live, what's the commute like, etc...

Any and all info appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTFatBa*d View Post
    Hi All,

The job market being what it is, I'm considering a job in North Haven, CT and would like some general info on the area as well as info on the gun climate in CT, ease of getting a CCW, etc... What areas around North Haven are good places to live, what's the commute like, etc...

Any and all info appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    I'm not real familiar with North Haven, and maybe there are great spots right there or right near there. If it were me, my personal preferences would have me thinking about living East or North East of there, maybe near Chester/Deep River Haddam, maybe Durham. I'm making that comment of course in isolation. I've no clue what the real estate values are presently like in those places and I have no idea what your tolerance is for a 20-30 minute commute.

Getting a pistol permit in CT is fairly simple, we don't have CCW basically its a permit to carry handguns and revolvers technically you can open carry but if you do you may be getting a visit from the boys in blue. You have to take a class for a few hours runs about $100-150 with some classroom and a little live fire at a range, you apply to the local police department with the class certificate. They take fingerprints and you just have to play the waiting game for a few weeks/months than go to the department of public safety and have your photo taken. There's a few fee's that you pay to DPS and the PD totals probably another $150 if I remember correctly.

North Haven isn't a bad area, you're about 15 minutes away from Wallingford which would be my pick for a place to live (there's a range in Wallingford too!) stay away from New Haven its a higher crime area. North Haven is off interstate 91 the commute isn't too bad getting to the surrounding areas because the main highways can be avoided if there's traffic, plenty of back roads. Going north towards Wallingford there's hardly any traffic and going south it only gets bad once you get into New Haven.

I lived in CT for 35 years before moving to AZ, and I'm still closely connected through family and friends. As LoadedPipes said, a CT pistol permit is not difficult to get, as long as you have a clean record. Technically, CT is a "MAY" issue state, but I know of very few people - even some friends with minor scrapes from their youth on their record (low-level misdemeanor stuff like minor consumption, caught with a joint, etc.) were not denied.

Surprisingly, just under 10% of the CT adult population has a CCW, but we have no way to tell how many actually carry. You definitely DO want to keep your sidearm concealed; the only time I've carried openly is when exploring in the woods, looking for good deer stands, etc.

Quality of life and commuting issues are very much a function of where you live. I-95 is a zoo and frequently a parking lot from south of Bridgeport to a few miles north (east, at that point) of New Haven. The "Q" bridge (Quinnipiac) is a bottleneck. I-91 isn't bad until you're within a couple of miles of the I-95 junction. In addition to Wallingford, you might just nose around Woodbridge (pricey) and Shelton to the west, and Northford to the east. If you're coming from VT you might appreciate the smaller towns like Woodbridge and Northford.

Good luck on your move!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Good luck on your move!
    Thanks, but I haven't received an offer yet, just checking into things just in case.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

Apply for your permit while you still live out-of-state

Until recently, North Haven was the only town I knew of which was home to two major firearms manufacturers: both Marlin and Mossberg were located there -- within walking distance of each other. But Marlin was sold to Remington and is relocating to upstate New York. Mossberg is stil there.

I'd characterize the place as middle-class. Definitely a "driving" town. There's not a real area where you can walk to coffee shops and the like. The town is cut in two by the Quinnipiac River, and the two sides are really quite separate since there are only two bridges.

Years ago, the schools had a really good reputation. I don't know what the current story is.

The fastest way to get a Connecticut permit is to apply directly to the State Police while you still live out of state. You can bypass the application to the local police that way, and simply change your address after you move here. Either way, though, the "may issue" designation is a formality. We're "shall issue" in practice.

Links