Robber fatally shot; grand jury to review

This is a discussion on Robber fatally shot; grand jury to review within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Robbery fatally shot; grand jury to review. Let this be clear to everybody here: if you shoot, even in self-defense , you WILL go through ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robber fatally shot; grand jury to review

Robber fatally shot; grand jury to review

Robbery fatally shot; grand jury to review.

Let this be clear to everybody here: if you shoot, even in self-defense, you WILL go through tons of legal drama involving the local district attorney and grand jury. This will cost you several thousands of dollars in defense attorney costs and will unduly burden your life for the next several weeks/months.

To me this was a clear cut self-defense shooting, but the grand jury is getting involved nonetheless.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I can understand why the bad guy hasn't been identified. Shot in the head with a .45 would make it difficult, as well as messy!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like AL. Is'nt too gun freindly or Politics. JMO
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Sounds Like SD, but shooting in the head could be a problem..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Sounds Like SD, but shooting in the head could be a problem..
    Should he have shot him in the leg instead?

Obvious over reaction to the situation, there should be no need for a grand jury to investigate this, there are far too many other cases that need their attention than this piddling matter. The guy was in the office with a drawn weapon, refused to back off or drop it and was rewarded by being shot. End of matter.

As always the amount of legal and financial inconvenience you undergo after an SD shooting will vary greatly and depend considerably on the legal and political machinery and climate in the area invovled.

GM
    It sounds to me like a SD situation; I do not understand why a grand jury has to get involved. BTW, did you notice that that about the .45 caliber automatic pistol? : “Another employee came from the back room with a .45 caliber automatic pistol …
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The fact that they mentioned caliber means nothing. If it was a one shot kill with a sling shot, it still appears as self-defense.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanLite View Post
    Let this be clear to everybody here: if you shoot, even in self-defense, you WILL go through tons of legal drama involving the local district attorney and grand jury. This will cost you several thousands of dollars in defense attorney costs and will unduly burden your life for the next several weeks/months.
    Maybe, maybe not, to the grand jury. Maybe, maybe not cost you.

It's a State-by-State thing and sometimes within a State it's a local jurisdiction-by-jurisdiction thing.

Some places the grand jury is SOP, others not so.

I know of a number of SD shootings here where the shooter were never arrested, never taken before the Magistrate, the issue was never questioned/reviewed past the local Commonwealth's Attorney's Office and the shooters' attorneys (if they even had one) never had to do a thing.

OTOH, I have known folk who had to run the entire gamut to get off the hook.

No one "you will" fits all sizes, IMHO.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nino Brown View Post
    The fact that they mentioned caliber means nothing. If it was a one shot kill with a sling shot, it still appears as self-defense.
    Obviously you did not notice it; it is not about the caliber, it is about the "automatic" part, a .45 caliber AUTOMATIC pistol. Journalists ...
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Anytime there is a SD shooting it goes before a grand jury,most of the time it's just a formalityIf It's a legit shoot,the Grand Jury no bills and you skip off into the sunset
    I didn't read where anybody was arrested and charged with a crime,If the facts are as presented a Grand Jury will look at the evidence and no bill under SD.Wonder if the guy was using fang face ammo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    As always the amount of legal and financial inconvenience you undergo after an SD shooting will vary greatly and depend considerably on the legal and political machinery and climate in the area invovled.
    Thank you. I can point you to several in NC over the last year, no arrest, no grand jury, no trial. I can point you to one where after 2-3 days the DA came out and complimented the shooter on defending himself in the news. It's too much of a local issue to say that you anything will happen after every shoot. Some places in the south, "He needed killin." may still be a valid defense.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I live in Mobile County, Alabama. From what I read I'd say the GJ is a formality and I wouldn't expect anything to be brought against the victim's. Alabama (at least the parts I live in and frequent) is very pro-victim & gun rights.
    For God, Family and Country!

In Tx every Self Defense homicide goes before a grand Jury
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links