My Personal Experiement on CC and Losing Weight

This is a discussion on My Personal Experiement on CC and Losing Weight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the common issues here on DC, seems to be the debate over who conceals easier, skinny people or not-so-skinny people. This is usually ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Personal Experiement on CC and Losing Weight

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar

My Personal Experiement on CC and Losing Weight

One of the common issues here on DC, seems to be the debate over who conceals easier, skinny people or not-so-skinny people. This is usually introduced by someone asking for advice on a carry method: "What holster is best for someone with 'the body of taut pre-teen swedish boy'?"
    I've dropped about 40 lbs so far this year (Wife went to Weight Watchers, I benefitted by learning to eat better) and I can happily report the following conclusions:

1) Concealment is easier when you're overweight--those love handles just absorb the gun better. Downside is that it's not very comfortable having the gun cutting into one's flabby sides.

2) Much more comfortable to carry, however, concealment is more challenging.

Just thought you'd like to know.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

2. Remove Ads

Pastor P, I too have more trouble concealing since coming down with "Muffinitis". It seems like my extra girth pushes the gun outward and causes more of a bulge.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I'm definitely not a skinny person these days, but when I originally started carrying 14 years ago I was a LOT skinnier.

Honestly, I'd disagree with you on this, I believe skinnier people have an easier time concealing. It's easier to find clothing in L or XL than it is 2 or 3X, it's a lot more comfortable to carry if you don't have a gun cutting into your side (as you mentioned), and I definitely had it easier when it came to printing. When you're lacking love handles, the grip sticks out less and hugs your body more.

Congratulations on the weight loss though. I recently lost 30 lbs. myself (unfortunately I've put 10 of it back on.)
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    I've dropped about 40 lbs so far this year (Wife went to Weight Watchers, I benefitted by learning to eat better) and I can happily report the following conclusions:
    Congratulations on your weight loss!!
    I have lost almost 30 pounds this year and several inches off of my “spare tire”.
    I carry a Glock 22 in a Supertuck. I have found that I can wear a smaller shirt and still conceal very easily.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

PM
    My biggest problem is that after an 80 lb lose so far is that I
    1) need new pants
    2) the gun fits different; rides on a bone or something. Moving it has helped
    but still having to attempt different position
    3) holsters do wierd things when not on the right size belt
    4) the gun does do less poking than 80 lbs back though!!

I also think those of us who are/were overweight (Obese) are in better position for a gun fight when and if it happens. I know my indurance is better. When I start seven days short of a year ago I could bearly walk two miles; I can now walk 5 to 6 without trouble. I can out walk my 10 year old; can any over you out there at a year shrot of 50 years old say that (Ok a 10 year old grandchild or a 10 year old kid in general --- I know I am a late bloomer!!). Yes, I would encourage any of you out there who have enough weight to share with or make a second person to start working on losing that second person; you will be better off for it. (I have stepped off my soapbox; for now!!)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    One of the common issues here on DC, seems to be the debate over who conceals easier, skinny people or not-so-skinny people. This is usually introduced by someone asking for advice on a carry method: "What holster is best for someone with 'the body of taut pre-teen swedish boy'?"

1) Concealment is easier when you're overweight--those love handles just absorb the gun better. Downside is that it's not very comfortable having the gun cutting into one's flabby sides.

2) Much more comfortable to carry, however, concealment is more challenging.

Just thought you'd like to know.
    I have found exactly the opposite. I used to weigh 325 pounds and I can tell you, when I was fat, I couldn't conceal easy at all. Now I weigh 180 and am in pretty good shape and getting better all the time, and I can conceal just about anything.

I would suggest lifting some weights. When your shoulders are wider than your waist, it is extremely easy to conceal just about any size gun.

Besides, being fat is no fun for so, so many reasons. Being in shape is sweeter than any cake or candy ever was.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Attachment 20905Attachment 2090614 months ago I weighed over 305 pounds. Then I had my gastric bypass surgery. In that time period I have lost 140 pounds and now I'm at exactly 165. I feel like a new man and look it too. I'm told I look like I'm in my mid 30's. Since I'm actually 53 that feels pretty good to me! Before I got married 22 years ago (yesterday was our anniversary) I was a pretty comfy 185. Still overweight but not gross. That came as I settled into married life and good home cookin' along with no exercise (thanks to a few service connected injuries). In that weight gain period and just before I was carrying a 1911. As I gained weight, it became more and more difficult to carry the larger caliber. I believe this is due to the fact that my body shape allowed my gun to drag my pants low making me either cinch up my belt to tourniquet levels or keep hitchin' up my pants. I was miserable. I began to segue away from the 1911 and found some light weight 9mms to carry instead. Now that I'm thin I can carry the 45 again and find it quite easy to carry my XD45 compact or a 1911 in a CROSSBREED IWB. That is why I'm saving for the new love of my gun-life in a Sig Sauer C3 45. My wife is paying for part of the gun as an anniversary present. The holster slips down into the natural hollow of my back at the 4:30 position and my belt cinches evenly and snugly around my waist and it rides just above my hipbones in comfortable fashion. There are no more "love handles" or in my case "Lifting Bars" to obstruct the draw and if I want it's even easy to carry cross draw or in a shoulder holster whereas before, when I was big, my poor arm wouldn't reach even halfway across my gut. The pix below are recent within the last month or so. You can't see as much of me in the second because of my pups. But I do love to show them off!
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Congratulations to all of you for getting fitter.

Stay focused and God Bless.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have found exactly the opposite. I used to weigh 325 pounds and I can tell you, when I was fat, I couldn't conceal easy at all. Now I weigh 180 and am in pretty good shape and getting better all the time, and I can conceal just about anything.

I would suggest lifting some weights. When your shoulders are wider than your waist, it is extremely easy to conceal just about any size gun.

Besides, being fat is no fun for so, so many reasons. Being in shape is sweeter than any cake or candy ever was.
    +1 on ALL of that! The biggest downside to my weight loss was going thru five different and complete changes of wardrobe and getting used to the fact that in my waist I'm no longer a 50+ but now about a 34 and my shirt size has gone from XXXL to just large or in some cases a MEDIUM. Another downside as I noted tonight when we went out to eat BBQ (I ate just 4 oz of my pulled port sandwich and brought the rest home) that sitting on a hard wood bench is downright PAINFUL with a skinny and now more bony butt. No more padding.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    When I used to be a Navy Recruiter in SW VA, I had gained about an extra 2 inches on my waist (went from a 33 to a 37) as a result of job related stress (didn't even worked out until the fitness test was around the corner) and the sedentary nature of the job itself. When summer CC came around, I could barely do an IWB CC even with a 36" size trouser when off-duty in my own civilian clothes. And it became downright uncomfortable.
    Now that I don't recruit anymore and now assigned to a staff position, I am now back to becoming a workout fanatic (I even added kettlebells to my weight training now for the first time too and discarded dumbells) . As a result of my consistency and intensity of my workouts, my waist size have went down from a 37 now to a 34. It won't be long before I go back down to a svelte 33 and as a result, I am now able to do IWB CC very easily and comfortably with a 36" pant size. I'll say I have come a long way and back to the way I was, fighting fit.

I am bounceing around on weight. I prefer me at a slimmer size. I have fairly broad shoulders so when my waiste is small it is still easy to conceal. When I am heavy it restricts what position I can draw from. When heavy I can forget about drawing with my weak hand while strong side carrying.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    +1 on ALL of that! The biggest downside to my weight loss was going thru five different and complete changes of wardrobe and getting used to the fact that in my waist I'm no longer a 50+ but now about a 34 and my shirt size has gone from XXXL to just large or in some cases a MEDIUM. Another downside as I noted tonight when we went out to eat BBQ (I ate just 4 oz of my pulled port sandwich and brought the rest home) that sitting on a hard wood bench is downright PAINFUL with a skinny and now more bony butt. No more padding.
    Ex, I have found exactly that same thing! Sitting on a hard chair, or the floor hurts after just a few minutes. Too much bone, not enough butt to sit comfortably on a hard surface.

Since the move to Indiana I have not been able to find a decent gym. None that are even 1/4 as nice and well equipped as the one in Tennessee I was a member of. The search continues but I have to do something soon. My mid section is a tad softer than it was and I want to put the kibosh on that right now!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Great dialogue--I appreciate hearing the different perspectives on carrying at higher vs. lower weight.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Its not the holstered gun that reminds me to lose weight, its the pain in the middle of my chest. :(

And I'm only 38.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

TN Mike, I haven't been to a gym in years except to take a martial arts class and that usually happens in a dojo anyway. I was able to get back in Aikido for awhile but shortly discovered that I can no longer roll very well. Actually I roll like dice, not a ball. My injuries from active duty are no longer encased in shock absorbing fat so I stopped active participation until I can put on some muscle mass again.

As to that: I have become a big believer in Body by BOWFLEX: http://www.bowflex.com/bowflex_home_gyms_us/bowflex.jsp I have one of their original machines and find it really works me out. I have a number of health and safety concerns to worry about when it comes to weight or resistance training and I find the BOWFLEX is simply the safest machine with which to address and overcome these concerns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links