"Oh MY God! He has a GUN!!"

This is a discussion on "Oh MY God! He has a GUN!!" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have you every contemplated how you would respond if you were carrying concealed in a public place and someone made you and over-reacted, yelling "Oh ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Oh MY God! He has a GUN!!"

"Oh MY God! He has a GUN!!"

Have you every contemplated how you would respond if you were carrying concealed in a public place and someone made you and over-reacted, yelling "Oh my God, he has a gun!" and started to back away in irrational fear? With many other bystanders shrinking away in fear as well? Further questions of "why did you bring a gun *here*?"

I've thought about this and I don't have a good response. I've been carrying for less than a year (pocket carry in a pocket holster). I carry everywhere because you cannot predict where you 'might' need protection. If I think I might need a gun to go a particular place I avoid said place.

I was wondering if some of you folks who have been doing this longer than me might have some good ideas and/or may have experienced the above and handled it a certain way that defused the situation effectively.

Thanks,
    ThumperACC

2. Remove Ads

Don't look or act like a scumbag. If you present yourself in a respectable and professional manner, it will help. If the gun is in a holster, that could help the perception of it too. But really most people are so oblivious that they wouldn't notice if you had a pistol being OC'ed on your belt.

Just don't freak out, and make sure to wish them a nice day.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'd hold my permit in my hand and say, "Chill out folks, legally permitted." Not likely to happen where I live because VA is a open carry state. I open carry on occasion and I've never had anyone freak out. I had a cashier one night in a convenience store ask me why I carry a gun and I told her it was easier than carrying a cop. She laughed and I went on my way.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

i'd hope some mall ninja doesn't get the wrong idea and shoot me thinking he's saving the world

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Not likely to happen where I live because VA is a open carry state.
    Yeah, NH is an open carry state too. But last year in NH, some guy was CC IWB under a coat/vest. He got out of his car in a K-Mart parking lot, took off his coat (winter time but warm day) and while he was reaching into the car, his vest rode up revealing the grip of his semiauto. Some local woman freaked out and called the cops. He had a concealed carry license but was led off in cuffs by the local cops. He was never charged and was released with his weapon returned, but shame on the cops. They missed an opportunity to educate the lady on the laws of NH and they strengthened the idea that anyone with a gun is a bad guy intent on going on a homocidal rampage.

I wear it because crime is on the rise everywhere and the police can't be there to protect you all the time,just like I have a spare in my trunk and a fire extinguisher in my house. sj

I would simply continue to go about my business. I'm not obligated to answer the questions of random people I bump into and if they are 'backing away in irrational fear' then I doubt there's much of a chance to educate them. So I wouldn't waste my time trying.

Brian

I'd probably start screaming "OH MY GOD! WHERE? EVERYBODY RUN!"

But then again, I'm a little SA like that. (And I don't mean Situational Awareness there.)

No, in all seriousness, I've been made before and gotten some wierd looks, primarily when I should have just been open carrying to begin with (I.E. I was printing badly), and I just smiled at the person and didn't say a word. Generally, if you don't make a big deal out of it, other people won't as well. Unfortunately, that doesn't always work I've heard, but it's the advice I generally hear on the subject.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Just smile and go about your business. If someone calls the cops just be pleasant and cooperative. If anyone seeks to engage you in rational conversation, by all means have a chat.
    If asked why I carry a weapon, I answer the same reason I have a spare tire, fire extinguisher, and first aid kit in my truck. I don't have a crystal ball so I don't know when I may be in need of any of them, but I do know that if the situation arises where I will need any of them, I am not going to have time to run home and get them. Hopefully I will be able to get through life without having to use any of them, but not everyone is that fortunate. If they ask why I don't just call 9-1-1, I explain that I worked 9-1-1 for fifteen years. It could literally take the rest of your life for someone to answer the phone. Tell them that three minutes is a "good" response time for emergency services. Have them look at their watch for three minutes while they describe their "worst case" scenario.

If their fear is fire, which would protect them better that cell phone or a fire extinguisher? If they have severe bleeding would they rather have their phone, or a first aid kit? If they fell off a boat would they rather have a phone or a flotation device? If some whack job started shooting up the theater there at the mall and was between them and the exit, what would they rather have?

If they ask why you think you need a gun there ask them when and where the next mass shooting is going to be. If they say "not here" ask them to tell you specifically where it will be. Ask them how they know that. Ask if they are willing to sign over their car if they are wrong. If they just admit they don't know, I tell them I don't know either. But I would much rather have my weapon and not need it than need it and not have it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    The only CC rig I would have to worry about is the horizontal shoulder holster. I would have to make sure that the wind does not blow the jacket aside thereby exposing the gun in public view. Other than that, most of rigs are very well hidden. As far as fannypacks as being one of my carry rigs, no one even notices as most of them are oblivious. For the ones knowledgeable about them, it is no big deal. But again, it does have it disadvantages so I wear it very rarely. If someone sees it and they freak out, I'd say, "Chill out/down. I have a license. Been doing it for a long time and been legally allowed to." Regardless there are idiots out there who can be quick to report you and make up stuff so it behooves me to always make a conscious effort to avoid getting the gun exposed. Also, do not make it obvious that you carry, like for example, constantly feeling the pistol to make sure it is there. That is a no-no. If you want to do that, make it look like to others that your back is hurting and you are grabbing your back to ease the pain.

More likely they would say "Are you a cop?"

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Just smile and go about your business. .
    Yup, you can't control the world or how people react.

Just stay cool and it should play out just fine.....you are legally carrying.

I've OC'ed a few times and nobody has freaked out. I've seen some eyes get a lot bigger but that is about it but I'm also a clean cut white male that dresses fairly nice. As for someone making me while I'm CC'ing if nobody in Walmart has freaked out yet from the times I've bent over I doubt it is going to happen anytime soon. I don't worry about the little bit of printing that can happen now and then.

As others have said most people lack a clue to begin with.

VIP Member
    I OC and CC both. While I have had some comments, 99% of them were just curious inquiries. Several favorable comments and 1 woman who said she didn't know if she wanted to be at the restaurant, since I was there OC'ing (before VA changed the law on restaurant carry). I think with most people, if you act confident (not to be confused with cocky), they figure your LE. If that's what they want to think fine. If they ask if I'm LE I tell them the truth. How they handle it is their business.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    i'd hope some mall ninja doesn't get the wrong idea and shoot me thinking he's saving the world

That's the BIG problem with open carry. If a guy goes in to rob a store and spots you with a weapon guess who gets shot first, AND looses their weapon? I NEVER open carry. Lots can go wrong, can't think of any advantage.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links