Kroger Has Posted - Or At Least Tried To

This is a discussion on Kroger Has Posted - Or At Least Tried To within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My local Kroger in Cincinnati has put up the signs shown it the attached video. I don't think they have actually managed to effectively post ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kroger Has Posted - Or At Least Tried To

VIP Member

Kroger Has Posted - Or At Least Tried To

My local Kroger in Cincinnati has put up the signs shown it the attached video. I don't think they have actually managed to effectively post and certainly misquote the law, but here it is.

After reading the signs in the video, and stashing my piece in the truck, I asked the manager, politely, where in the store they were serving alcohol. I was informed that they were not. She simply mentioned that it is their right, in Ohio, to post the premesis. She is right, of course, but I also informed her it is my right, in Ohio, to shop elsewhere. We parted amicably, but I am done with Kroger.
    Last edited by ksholder; August 22nd, 2010 at 03:24 PM.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Interesting. I notice that both of the signs say you may be committing a felony. No where do I see it saying that it is illegal. What kind of legal notice is that?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Bizarre...in Georgia, Kroger is a sponsor of georgiacarry.org...

so they don't sell alcohol for on-site consumption but they're reminding you that its illegal? I wouldn't shop there just because its obviously ran by morons.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Interesting. I notice that both of the signs say you may be committing a felony. No where do I see it saying that it is illegal. What kind of legal notice is that?
    I agree, hence the title of the thread. I don't think they have legally posted, but I don't see any point in pushing the issue. Given that I have alternatives that are more friendly, I will use them.
    Last edited by ksholder; August 21st, 2010 at 08:56 PM.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

GM
    After reading the signs and and what she answered when you asked her about it I wonder if that manager plays with a full deck
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Before I ruled out Kroger's completely, I'd check with their corporate office and see what the official policy is. It is possible the manager has taken it on his/herself to try and implement a policy that the corporation does not support.
    I have shopped in Kroger stores all over the country and never seen one posted.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Before I ruled out Kroger's completely, I'd check with their corporate office and see what the official policy is. It is possible the manager has taken it on his/herself to try and implement a policy that the corporation does not support.
    I have shopped in Kroger stores all over the country and never seen one posted.
    +1.

I'm almost positive Kroger corporate has said they follow local law.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Those signs are from the Ohio Dept. of Liquor Control and their verbiage predates the existence of licensed concealed carry in Ohio. The ODLC refuses to change the wording. If you have a CHL the signs do not directly affect you, providing you stay out of any wine tasting or such that the store may be holding. (Those who open carry without a CHL are likely affected to a greater degree.)

We just had a long thread on Kroger's in Ohio on this forum a month or two ago. For reasons only the honchos downtown seem to know the stores have been directed to make those ODLC signs more prominent. Please read that earlier thread, we covered a LOT of ground with Kroger's including a BUNCH of complaints their way. You can then decide if the company has backed off their position from then, which was starting to become pretty dang anti-carry.

If Ohio is like Texas, the carrying of a firearm by an unlicensed individual in any place that sells alcohol (whether for on-site or off-site consumption) is a felony. Hence the sign reading, "if you're carrying a firearm... you may be guilty of a felony." We have these signs on gas stations, grocery stores, and liquor stores all over Texas.

It doesn't pertain to those with a CHL.

EDIT: Apparently it is the same as Texas. ^^^^^^^See Above^^^^^^^
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Been fighting this fight over on XDTalk for months now. It matters to me because there are Kroger stores in my old home town and when I travel I also see them along my route.

The email I got was that this was only policy for certain stores in certain places and that Krioger would follow local laws.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Well, I haven't seen any posting at all at the Kroger stores I have been to in Indiana. And In Tennessee the Kroger where we lived was very, very friendly to carry. I open carried there all the time and the manager liked to talk guns and carry with me. I would bet this is limited to either that store because the manager is an anti gun type or, to the stores in Ohio for some reason. But I agree, I would not give them a single penny with that kind of crap hanging in the store.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    We just had a long thread on Kroger's in Ohio on this forum a month or two ago. For reasons only the honchos downtown seem to know the stores have been directed to make those ODLC signs more prominent. Please read that earlier thread, we covered a LOT of ground with Kroger's including a BUNCH of complaints their way. You can then decide if the company has backed off their position from then, which was starting to become pretty dang anti-carry.
    I participated in that thread. The letters I got from Kroger indicated that they would abide by local laws. While the signs posted may legally allow concealed carry, the manager I spoke with clearly thought that they prohibit carry in her store. I would rather not run the hassle of having such a discussion with store management and or the resident cop. I consider that they are just telling us that they would prefer we go elsewhere and I will oblige.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I participated in that thread.
    + 1 letters, calls, emails.

Last I remember, they said they were backing down.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I also participated in that recent thread about Kroger and their supposed anti stance and even sent an email voicing concern over their policy.

I was at our local Kroger today buying all kinds of stuff, including wine and there are no signs prohibiting firearms on the premises. In WV if they don't post a sign and it isn't one of the places prohibited by law then we can carry with our permit.

I have carried in that store quite a few times so it must depend on the city and state where the laws are different for each store.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links