Carrying full size 1911.

Carrying full size 1911.

This is a discussion on Carrying full size 1911. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys anyone here carrying a full size 1911? What is your setup? Any issues with concealing?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying full size 1911.

Carrying full size 1911.

Hey guys anyone here carrying a full size 1911? What is your setup? Any issues with concealing?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I'm about to try it with my Springfield in a High Noon Down Under IWB holster. I'll let you know how it goes.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

All the time, about 16 hours a day. Been carrying a Glock 17, M&P or a couple different Sigs this past month, but just because I'm shooting them a lot. 95% of the time it's a Nighthawk in a Milt Sparks VMII at the 3:30 position.

This is a Ed Brown Executive Carry in this pic, but I carry a full size often as well.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    I carry a full size TRP on occasion when I am home. A good belt and holster are the key. I use a Raven Concealment rig and a 5.11 Nylon reinforced belt.
    Last edited by tacman605; August 22nd, 2010 at 09:33 AM.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

When I carry a 1911 I'm currently using a Rosen ARG.

I tend to prefer the P35 over the 1911, and use a Milt Sparks Watch Six or a Kramer IWB #3. I've found both also work well for the 1911 too.

I have a short list of leather benders that I trust to make what I need. Sadly they all have wait times ranging from weeks to years. To get good quality, and that "little extra" that a handmade holster will give you, you will have to wait for it in most cases. I learned a long time ago that good leather is worth the price and the wait.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    In the past, yes. From the late 1980's to 1997, it was just on occasion, then from 1997 to 2002, I used full-sized 1911s full-time, every day, for duty and CC. For reasons I won't repeat here yet again, I had to stop using 1911s for duty in 2002, and went with Glocks temporarily, then SIG P229s. I choose to carry the same autopistol system on my own time as at work, so my 1911 carry is on hold for a while.

A 1911 is flatter than a double-stack, which is a factor in concealment. It is harder for me to hide a Glock or P229 on my skinny frame, than even a full-sized 1911. Moreover, the Glocks' blocky slides enclose the striker mechanism, so they poke out farther in that dimension. At my favored carry position, I can hide a full-sized 1911 easier than even a "baby" Glock, because even a "baby" Glock's slide is blocky and sticks out just as far as its bigger brothers' slides.

When I retire from peace officering, in the next one year and two months, to eight years or so, I may content myself with carrying SP101 snubby revolvers most days, or I may go back to daily 1911 carry.

Edited to add: I used a Galco Avenger most of the time. If wearing a short cover garment, I used a G. Wm. Davis Security, an IWB rig similar to the Milt Sparks Summer Special II. Mr. Davis is no longer making holsters. For my future 1911 carry, I recently acquired a pre-owned Bulman FDS, to match the FDS I now use to carry my duty/carry P229s. Bulman is VERY far behind, and I doubt he is taking orders, if you can even get his attention.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm about to switch from a S&W 3913 to a S&W 1911 Sc Commander. I just ordered a Del Fatti ISP-LP holster for it and some night sights from Brownells. I'm not used to a gun of such large dimensions for IWB, but from what I've heard it can be mastered. At one time I carried a full sized Kimber 1911 5", but it was in a shoulder holster.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I carried a Kimber 5" TLE RL2 all day yesterday in a HBE OS PRO holster. Very comfortable and pulls the gun very tight to your body so it hides well.

You can't do anything about the weight but make sure you have a good gun belt.

OD*
    I carry Government size, ether in a Bianchi Askins Avenger, basically the same holster as the Milt Sparks 55BN (the BN being Bruce Nelson, who also designed the Summer Special made famous by Sparks), a Sparks Watch-Six, or a G. Wm. Davis "Security" (Summer Special style). No issues concealing with any of them.

Occasionally I'll carry in a Galco 3000 (long out of production).

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I carry a full size Springfield loaded 1911 in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster iwb Very comfortable and concelebablehttp://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

This is an Andy Langlois rig, the holster and mag pouch are buffalo. Very comfortable and pulls the gun in nice and tight.

I carry my springfield in a don hume IWB it sits low enough that the entire gun besides the grip is well inside my waistband I just tip the grip forward and it practically disappears. I don't really notice the weight but I've always carried heavy guns. Between the 2:00-3:00 position is the best for me.

5 inch 1911 or a 4.25 1911 a lot of the time in a Executive Companion. I've used 5 Shot leather rigs before as well and have been very happy with them.
    I believe 1911s deserve leather.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

GI .45 in a Crossbreed SuperTuck at 3:00. My usual problem is the gun doesn sit as low as I'm used to so it prints a bit. The weight also tends to make the drawers a bit droopy. Ocassionally the long barrel makes a thump when I sit on a hard chair too.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

Interested how the trasistion from 3913 to 1911 goes and how they compare

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links