Long Distance Trip While CCW

This is a discussion on Long Distance Trip While CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the next month or so my wife and I who both carry will be driving back to the East Coast. Our trip will take ...

Thread: Long Distance Trip While CCW

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar

In the next month or so my wife and I who both carry will be driving back to the East Coast. Our trip will take us from Oregon thru Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Missisippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, andTennessee to North Carolina. Coming back we will also hit Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming then Idaho to home. We are licensed for all states except Illinois and Nebraska. Other than what is on packing.org and handgunlaw.us, what else do we need to be concerned about? I'm very concerned about Illinois and Nebraska but have a car safe. Any areas where speed traps are prevalant or where even though legal not gun friendly? Any info would be appreciated. We also have a copy of "Travelers Guide to the Firearms Law of the Fifty States". Any info, personal experiences, etc would be appreciated. Thanks

Don't forget Ohio....

In a holster, on your person, in plain sight (NOT clipped to the SEAT BELT!!!!), or, in a locked container, in plain sight, or, locked in the glove box.

BTW -- Plain sight is NOT defined in the law. That is up to the officer's discretion. (Taped to your forehead may not satisfy the law, for an otherwise good officer, having a bad day :( )

Try to avoid:

Oregon, Ohio (Possession of a firearm in public is unlawful, unless, you're at home, or at the range. CCW is OUT, unless you wanna be another 'test case' for the courts.)
    Columbus, Ohio (Strange 'assault weapons' laws)
    Toledo, Ohio (Odd SNS Laws)

I don't know how legal my car-carry setup is, but, I try to carry IWB, right hand side, while driving, and tuck my shirt behind the butt of my gun.

Some say that's sufficient, some don't. Again, it's officer's discretion.

Also, if you are stopped, IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE OFFICER THAT YOU ARE CARRYING A CONCEALED HANDGUN, AND ARE LICENSED TO DO SO!!!!!! Failure to do so, can result in a VERY bad day.

If the officer thinks you're making a motion anywhere near your handgun, you're in trouble, as well.

Long guns are not covered at all by CCW laws here. (I think I heard, that in some states they are) So, be sure to follow federal transit laws regarding those. Make sure any long gun mags are unloaded. (Again, Columbus has odd 'assault weapons' laws, so, things like pistol-grips, some mags, forward grips, and muzzle brakes, are gonna be a no-no there, iirc.)

And, some cities (I forget which) forbid mags loaded more than 10 deep.

Hope this helps! :)
    Last edited by PgSqlQuery; June 26th, 2006 at 05:28 AM.
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

I'm also taking a long trip, leaving Friday morning for New Mexico.
    Will be going through most but not all of the same states you will on my way out and back.
    Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and back a different way adding Tennesee, Kansas and one or two other states that I forget without looking at the map.

I have a nav system in the car so no big deal there but I would suggest AAA, they really give a detailed package free of charge to members. Maps, travel guides and even ring bound customized maps for the trip and return

It's a long drive, I did it a few years ago when I helped my son move to New Mexico and this time my wife wants to visit but wants to drive so she can see the Country.

I never knew people ate so much corn, see it all the way across the country.

Pennsylvania Is a pretty gun friendly State, especially outside the major cities and specifically Philadelphia. The laws are supposed to be the same statewide but Philly enforces it's laws as it sees fit and I'm not speaking from a legal standpoint but a personal standpoint, it was my hometown until about 3 years ago. You don't have PA listed but thought since you're going to be close you might consider visiting our nations birthplace.
    If you should decide on PA let me know and I'll gladly supply info.

Speed Traps 422, 61, 81, PA Turn Pike

Hope you and your wife have a great trip.
    Last edited by .45acp; June 26th, 2006 at 04:47 AM.

You won't have any problems through Idaho. We're a very gun friendly state. In fact Ada County (the county Boise is in) offers free CCW classes which qualify you for your license. The sheriff supports CCW 100%.

You should also be able to make up some time in Idaho being that the speed limit is 75.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Florida US 301. Starke, Lawdy and Waldo.
    All Speed traps with the Big Signs to prove it!!
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Wow, that is some road trip.

AFs
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

When coming through Missouri, make sure you stop and spend lots of money! Any Interstate area marked "Travel Safe Zone" is a speed trap. Tickets in this area cost more than the ones in unmarked areas. It's also State law that if LEO/Fire/EMS is roadside...you are to move over at least one lane. ESPECIALLY if you see 2 LEO's roadside with a car. The second officer might be waiting for you NOT to move over. Speed limit on interstates is 70mph. In Metro areas it is 60-65. Have a safe trip!
    Press the fight!

source

Honestly I'm surprised that Colorado doesn't honor your Oregon permit ... and after January 1st 2007 Kansas will likely honor your permit.

In Colorado, it is legal for ANYONE who can legally possess a firearm to CCW in their car without a permit (just avoid Denver 'cause they think they are above the state laws).

If you where to get a Utah or Florida non resident permit in adition to your Oregon Residents' permit you could carry in more places.

Kentucky is a very gun friendly (and CCW) state, so I wouldn't worry about any problems here. Not too much in the way of speed traps in the central/northern areas that I know of(at least on I-75) so that shouldn't be a huge deal.

If you're stopping to look at any sites, I highly recommend Natural Bridge/Red River Gorge. The Gorge is part of the Daniel Boone National Forest (unless I'm totally wrong, but I don't think so; I've carried there), so it should be carry safe, Natural Bridge is not though.

Wow, thats the info I am looking for especially the info on Ohio and the speed traps! We both have permits from Or, Wa, Fl, Ut, Pa and NH so we are very well covered in that regard. .45acp, I grew up in South Philly and am well aware of their way of enforcing the law. To whomever suggested AAA, we are members and have the tripkit, maps, etc. Now, I would like to hear from anyone in Illinois and Nebraska and also how are conditions now along I-10 from Texas to Florida? Should we avoid it or are things recovered from Katrina? Again, thanks to all you good folks and please keep the info coming. What sucks is that my family is in Jersey and some of my wife's are in New York but there is no way in hell we are going near there with handguns! I suppose we could get a motel in Pa and jump over to Jersey for a day but NY, forget it. Take care all and keep the comments coming!

Torrejon
    From South Philly myself, wtzup
    I suggested the AAA, they do a nice travel pack.
    You didn't say when your trip is but just in case it starts within the next several weeks keep your eyes open for a black Prius w 2 blondes and a bunch of luggage, not likely but traveling alot of the same states.

Enjoy your trip.

George

We probably won't leave till mid August at the earliest. I'm just trying to get all my facts together.

VIP Member
    Since nobody from Texas chimed in.......
    In Texas: you're covered with the permits you have, but just FYI--no open carry of handguns, you can have a concealed handgun while traveling (which you will meet the definition of)
    long guns: as long as its not full auto you're good to go

Definitely tell any LEO immediately that you are traveling, you have a concealed weapon permit, what firearms you have, and where they are. That will get you a long way showing respect to most of them.

tell me what route you're planning on going through Texas and I'm sure I can help....Like the Johnny Cash song....I've been everywhere
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Sponsored Links