Conceal carry on a motorcycle question?

This is a discussion on Conceal carry on a motorcycle question? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a new member with a Non residence Utah permit. I am planning a cross country ride with a friend. Leaving from Balto. and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conceal carry on a motorcycle question?

I am a new member with a Non residence Utah permit.

I am planning a cross country ride with a friend. Leaving from Balto. and heading to Washington state and than traveling south. About three weeks on the road.

Question: What is the best way to carry on this trip? Pack the gun on the bike or inside the belt holster? Shirt or jacket could be flying around exposing the gun.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks

Shoulder holster under a jacket...
    IWB holster...
    OWB holster...
    SOB holster...I used this a lot, never had the wind lift my shirt because I tucked the shirt under my butt.
    Fanny Pack...probably a good idea in windy conditions, and it's still on your body.

I did all of the above on my Harley...long gone now...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Check the laws of the states you will be traveling through for transportation, conceiled carry, and open carry laws first thing to be sure to be in compliance. As for where to carry, I have it on me when I ride: 1911 at 3:00 in a SuperTuck. If I go off the bike in less than ideal conditions I want the gun on me, even if it breaks my hip when I hit pavement.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

I ride with my 1911 in an OWB pancake holster at 9 o'clock (lefty) and I've never had my shirt blow up over my pistol. The only time my clothes flap around is if I don't button my vest or jacket. Sometimes I'll wear my Glock 23 in an IWB holster, but it isn't nearly as comfortable as carrying the thinner 1911 OWB.

Since I live close to SC and they don't honor my permit, I will stop for gas or whatever at the state line, secure my pistol in a saddlebag and then ride on. That being said, I don't go to SC much or other states that don't recognize my permit.

VIP Member
    Carrying on the bike is still a work in progress for me. This summer has been IWB @ 4:30 with an over-sized T-shirt and/or LCP in rear pocket holster. Previous winters have been a snubbie zipped up in a jacket pocket. I'm going to experiment with a verticle shoulder holster this winter.

Carrying packed away on the bike would be a last resort for states that I couldn't carry in. I solve this problem by not going through those states (fortunately, there aren't many between SC resident and PA non-resident permits).

VIP Member
    Well depends on a couple of things. What type bike are you riding and what type weapon are you carrying? I ride and carry all the time. I ride a Glide so I am in a normal upright sitting position, many times I appendix carried my Para carry 9.
    If I wore something bigger with an OWB holster, or wore the Para in an IWB Galco I simply made sure the cover shirt was pulled down or I wore a light vest over it. On a sportbike or something without a fairing the wind will play a factor in blowing clothes around or being anywhere near comfortable with your carry position. Take a couple of short trips carrying different ways and see what works best for you and then practice to make sure you know where the weapon is when you need it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I ride lefty 9 oclock 1911,I've had the wind blow my t-shirt up and fred gets to see whats going on,If I tuck the back of my shirt in my pants then fred doesn't get to peek out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I ride a sportbike. My shirt is long enough that it will sit under my behind while riding and not blow around. I usually also carry a BUG on my ankle. Don't have problems with the pants riding up and exposing. I frequently visit Maryland for the motorcycle drag races. With the laws you have, I have to really be on top of things. Maryland doesn't honor my permit. I do the speed limit to the exact mile per hour to avoid any problems with the law.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

IWB at 5:00, motorcycle or car. Never had a problem.

I also would reccomend carefully researching CCW laws by state. Colorado will not honor your non-resident permit, regardless of the state it is issued by. Have a great trip!
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

On both my motorcycles (KLX400 and ST1100), my shirt will blow up if not tucked in. I prefer to always wear my leather jacket though which does not blow up and solves the problem most days.

So on days below 95 degrees when I have my leather on, I have my Kahr CW45 IWB at 4:00 oclock in a Desantis Cozy partner. When it is just too damn hot and I want to ride in only a t-shirt, I change to my Ruger LCP 380 appendix carry in a High Noon tuckable holster (can tuck my shirt in).

I'd be careful about SOB carry on a bike. Always consider the possibility of a fall, and a lump of steel could do a lot of damage to your spine.
    I'd suggest one of the concealment vests available.
    Motorcycle jackets usually have some zip pockets you can use.

You do wear protective clothing, don't you?
    If you ride with a t-shirt and shorts, why carry a gun? You have a death wish anyway.

I have three bikes including a Harley, and with the looney drivers out there, I wouldn't leave the house without a helmet and jacket.

Thank you all for responding to my question.

I will be riding a Harley Classic across the US. I have a Glock 32 and a crossbreed holster. I plan to wear a mesh jacket for hot weather and depending on location more or less clothing.
    There are states were I will have to pack the gun in my bags. In Md, we have to have the gun unloaded and a different location for the ammo. I believe this will be legal in most non-carry states.
    You guys, did a great job in helping me decide how to carry on a bike. This will be my first time carrying on a bike. Any other suggestions?

there are also "carry vests and jackets" ..... and you wouldn't know them if you saw them, belly belts, carry shirts, and all types of options.

Many snubbies will fit into and lock right up in the left hand side panel.

Have a place to leave and lock it if you need to.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I will be carrying a Glock 23 not a 32.
    We will be riding some long hours. We will be looking for the most comfortable holster set-up.
    Again, thanks guys.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    If you are wearing a jacket, I find the a shoulder rig the best set up. My seat has a several inch back lip up to the passenger seat, I find that a IWB or OWB presses against it which can become uncomfortabble aftr a while. Essentially the same as in a car seat.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links