We live in the 'Nice' part of Town - Why I Carry

This is a discussion on We live in the 'Nice' part of Town - Why I Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live where I can see this shopping center from my window. For those of you not familiar with the area, Ashburn is a vary ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We live in the 'Nice' part of Town - Why I Carry

We live in the 'Nice' part of Town - Why I Carry

I live where I can see this shopping center from my window. For those of you not familiar with the area, Ashburn is a vary Yuppie town high growth upper to upper-middle class town in northern Virginia. Growing up here everyones parents work for three letter organizations.

The wife and I take walks around this area all the time. Just keeps reminding me why I carry. Even in a town like this things can still happen.

I just simply can't get over how close to home (literally) this is to me. I feel confident now that I carry, but obviously i never hope to use it.

(http://www.broadlandshoa.org/hoaforu...d.php?p=141056)

LCSO Investigators Release Video of Suspect in Armed Robbery at Broadlands Shopping Center

Loudoun County, VA: Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Investigators released video of a suspect involved in the armed robbery of a Subway restaurant located in Ashburn, Virginia. (Please view video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ETnG36HA8M)

Around 11 a.m. on August 20, 2010 Sheriff’s Deputies were called to the 43100 block of Broadlands Center Plaza. An unknown suspect entered the store, displayed a firearm, and demanded cash. The suspect was last seen on foot.

The suspect was described as a Black male with a thin build and short cropped hair. The suspect appears to have some scaring on his right arm. He was further described as being in his early to mid-20’s, approximately 6’ tall, and was last seen wearing a baggy white t-shirt and dark blue pants. The suspect appears to be wearing an unknown brand of shoes with white around the soles and on the toes. In the video the suspect is seen wearing a baseball style hat with an unknown white emblem or writing on the front.

Following the robbery the Sheriff’s Office received several reports from residents of a possible suspect on foot in the area. A ground and aerial search was conducted by members of the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Field Operations Division, K9 Unit and the Fairfax County Police Department helicopter. No suspect was located.

If anyone has any information regarding the identity of the suspect, you are asked to contact Investigator M. Halley of the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division at 703-777-0475. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they are asked to contact Loudoun Crime Solvers at 703-777-1919. If the information provided to Loudoun Crime Solvers leads to an arrest and indictment, the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.

2. Remove Ads

Any time any where.

stay safe

Crime is on the rise everywhere it seems, and you can never be to careful. Just the other morning there was a armed car jacking less than 1 mile up the road where the victim was shot in the leg. Not to mention at least two or three shootings/armed robberies somewhere here in the county each week.

Point is, my roommate sometimes still questions my need to carry depending on where we are going. He is by no means against it, in fact he is planning on getting his permit. He just hasn't gotten to the understanding that events as the one near your house happen more and more frequently regardless of where you are. I remind him, it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Stay safe.

Distinguished Member
    "Why do you rob banks? Cause it's where the money is"

I like this saying and I think it has a lot of applications. Living in a nice neighborhood makes you more of a target.

VIP Member
    There is no such place as a safe area anymore. Anyplace is subject to bad things happening at any time. That's why I carry even when working. My boss knows and doesn't have a problem with it. Of course when I get sent to MD for a job, I'm forced to leave my gun behind. Thankfully my boss knows how I feel about sitting foot in MD and usually sends someone else.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    Any time any where anybody
    Fixed.

So called 'nice people' and living among 'nice' places very often think/assume that they are either immune or will be treated kindly if not outright left alone, because they are 'nice people' among 'nice' places.

*.Earth = Potential criminal victimization site

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

"Nice people" wish there were less bad guys.
    Bad guys wish there were more "nice people".

GM
    There are not "safe" areas anymore; BG’s know how to drive.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    The youtube video was 6 seconds long showing a guy walking in what looks like a Starbucks.

You sure you have the right one?
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by WhatGun View Post
    I just simply can't get over how close to home (literally) this is to me. I feel confident now that I carry, but obviously i never hope to use it.

(http://www.broadlandshoa.org/hoaforu...d.php?p=141056)
    This and everything before it was my "Post" if you will. Everything after that was the news release by the LCSO (loudoun county sheriffs office).

I thought the same thing, but the text in the youtube link describes this case. The Subway is next to a Starbucks (next door or 2 doors down) Rumor is he was casing the starbucks.

sorry for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1988 View Post
    Crime is on the rise everywhere it seems, and you can never be to careful. Just the other morning there was a armed car jacking less than 1 mile up the road where the victim was shot in the leg. Not to mention at least two or three shootings/armed robberies somewhere here in the county each week.

Point is, my roommate sometimes still questions my need to carry depending on where we are going. He is by no means against it, in fact he is planning on getting his permit. He just hasn't gotten to the understanding that events as the one near your house happen more and more frequently regardless of where you are. I remind him, it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Stay safe.
    If you're in WPB, you need to carry. Preferably 2 guns. With extra mags. And keep a long gun in the trunk.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I used to hunt and target shoot before Asburn was buit. Nova sure has changed. I always carry when I come back for a visit.
    Stay safe.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1988 View Post
    Crime is on the rise everywhere it seems...
    It may seem that way but according to Department of Justice statistics crime has dropped substantially nation-wide from 1993 to 2008.

50 million more people and 440,000 fewer violent crimes. http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/dataonline/...atebyState.cfm

That doesn't mean you don't need to remain vigilant, but crime is down. We just hear about it more. The Internet is a double-edged sword.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Most of the nice stuff is on the good side of town.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Based upon your comments, it's sad to see a Federal Agent stoop to armed robbery. Times must be hard across the river.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links