Made while changing tire!

This is a discussion on Made while changing tire! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past friday I was coming from Waco to Waxahacie where I live when I had a blowout.I was carrying like always when I started ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This past friday I was coming from Waco to Waxahacie where I live when I had a blowout.I was carrying like always when I started getting the spare out of the trunk and the wind kept blowing my shirt over the gun,Well someone must have seen it and called the police.As I was pulling the bad tire off a state trooper pulled up right behind me.He said:Sir,are you carrying a gun,and do you have a permit?I said:Yes sir to both your questions.He then said:may I see your permit?I said yes,The gun is on my right hip and the permit is in my wallet in my back left pocket,he said thats ok.So I handed him the permit.Well,he looked it over and then said do you mind if I finish changing your tire for you?I said no,not at all.I should have said I'mm 66 and it was 105 degrees outside.This took me completely by surprise as I hadn't expected this at all.He said he had gotten a call about a man with a gun on the side of the road and had to check it out.It all ended great and I am thankful for the help on such a hot day.So,to the trooper that stopped,a big thanks and stay safe. sj

VIP Member
    That was nice of the person to call the nice Trooper to come and change Your tire. A good day to You Sir.

Well said. It has been my experience that most officers/troopers are just trying to get through the day like the rest of us...if you give respect you get respect. When I start to get a little irritated with one I try to remember its "my" bad day and making his or hers bad will only make mine worse.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Sounds like a great interaction with a police officer. There are some important things said in your post. Alot of us don't realize the job of a police officer. When someone reports a "Gun sighting" they have to check it out. They aren't just trying to get into your bussiness. They are obligated. The officer sounded courtious and professional. And above all compassionate. That's an officer that desearves a handshake, and pat on the back and a "job well done". He didn't question why you felt the need to be armed, didn't taze you, and was nice enough to change a tire for you. Here's the flip side. Had this been a bad encounter, there would be tons of people telling you to file a complaint. Have you thought about calling the police department and letting his superiors know about the pleasent encounter? Couldn't hurt!
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

GM
    That LEO was a very nice person!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

If you had really been 'observant', you would've noticed that the person who called the LEO's on you had passed you going about 45 MPH down the highway. It was probably that big boat of a car that was driven by a hat!
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

mkh
    That was a great LEO encounter.

It's liable to happen sooner or later when we least expect it. Thank God for people will cell phones and nothing better to do than talk on them while driving. At least you know someone was observant. That alone seems strange to me. I'd take the incident as a 50/50 ordeal. If you were hurt and laying beside the road, hopefully that same person would have come along and got you rescued through dialing 911. At least some folks are concerned with what's going on around them. I'll guess 20% of them do.....looking on the bright side.

I called the troopers office,said he had one very good officer that deserves a thank you at his next roll call.To my way of thinking he went out of his way to help me out. sj

Awesome ordeal! Most of our local state troopers deserve more than a thank you in my opinion. I'm more than willing to help any of them out when in need on the side of the road if things go wrong. I've always had good experiences with the state troopers.....even after getting a couple of tickets. Our state troopers are always the best.

After reading comments on this board I am surprised at the outcome.. Surely you should have been arrested for "brandishing"...

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Awesome ordeal! Most of our local state troopers deserve more than a thank you in my opinion. I'm more than willing to help any of them out when in need on the side of the road if things go wrong. I've always had good experiences with the state troopers.....even after getting a couple of tickets. Our state troopers are always the best.
    +1

Our local troopers seem to the be kind of guys that would go out of their way to help someone out. Our local Sheriffs on the other hand are the ones that will wave as they pass you while you are changing your flat.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I called the troopers office,said he had one very good officer that deserves a thank you at his next roll call.To my way of thinking he went out of his way to help me out. sj
    That's great. I'm sure they don't get recognized enough for all the good they do.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    great interaction
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    IMO you did the very right thing
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links