Joined my Church's "Safety & Security" team this week...........very impressed.

This is a discussion on Joined my Church's "Safety & Security" team this week...........very impressed. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it's that time of year at church when they have a "day of training" where church members are asked to go to some brief ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Joined my Church's "Safety & Security" team this week...........very impressed.

Well, it's that time of year at church when they have a "day of training" where church members are asked to go to some brief classes about a ministry in the church they are interested in serving in (Music worship, communion, greeters, nursery workers, etc.). I saw "Safety & Security Team" so I promptly signed up and attended the meeting. Before this interaction my only knowledge of "Security" during church was the county sheriff they hire to linger in the parking lot and direct traffic during services, and of course my PF9 that is always on me. I was impressed as I waited for the meeting to start when I saw other members I knew were LEO's come walking in. The passed out the current year's calendar with who was assigned to which of the various posts during each of the two Sunday services. They outlined the duties of each post, reviewed the security guidelines and procedures, training dates, recent radio upgrades, etc.. I introduced myself and two of the guys I know well vouched for me and I was welcomed onto the team. The leader somehow already knew I had federal LE training and asked me about that. Kind of freaky he already knew about me, but kind of comforting at the same time.

The topic of concealed carry came up and this was the dialogue:

TEAM COORDINATOR: "Do you have a CCW permit?"
    ME: "Yes."
    TEAM COORDINATOR: "Good. Please carry when you are working a post and use it if you have to. Our minister has granted this team the power to act on behalf of the church when handling a security situation."
    ME: "Sounds good."

That was it. I left the meeting very comforted by having such a team at our church, even though it's not a huge church (about 800 members per week). I have attended this church for about one year and several issues that I believed were security issues, for instance in the nursery area, were already being addressed by this team. I also didn't realize how many people I knew who were on the security team and carry each Sunday! I've never "made" someone at our church so apparently we have some folks very good at concealing! I can't wait to go through the training and start working a post.
    bgusty likes this.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Very cool! That sounds like the kind of church I would attend!
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Sounds like a very positive meeting.

I think it's sad that we need security teams in our churches, but that is the state of the world we live in.

Now, I've got to start planning our next Church Safety Team meeting.
    darbo and mano3 like this.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Does your state require that security personel be licensed.

If so, the church and the individuals providing the "security" could be opening themselves up to some problems in the future.
    OldVet likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I am an Elder at my church and this very topic has come up between me and a few of our congregation members. We currently do not have a security team and I would like to try and come with a proposal to our Session (the leaders). I do have a LE background and currently work in the field, but there seems to not be a lot of information within our LE community about this subject. Does your church have written policies and are they (you) willing to share this information with another church? Thanks for any help.

You know, crazy as it sounds, these days it is probably a really good idea to have a policy manual that discusses safety procedures along with many of the questions that Gavin de Becker raises in his book, The Gift of Fear
    For instance, have background checks been done on the people who handle the nursery and Sunday School program? Are all employees screened (teachers, janitors, security personnel, part time employees)? Is there a procedure for emergencies? Who can pick up a child from Sunday School? How does the church handle custody disputes?? Is there a regular briefing of teachers, etc. to discuss safety and security issues? Are there emergency drills - fire, earthquake, etc?

Sounds like a safe place to worship for sure. May I ask what denomination?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    You know, crazy as it sounds, these days it is probably a really good idea to have a policy manual that discusses safety procedures along with many of the questions that Gavin de Becker raises in his book, The Gift of Fear
    For instance, have background checks been done on the people who handle the nursery and Sunday School program? Are all employees screened (teachers, janitors, security personnel, part time employees)? Is there a procedure for emergencies? Who can pick up a child from Sunday School? How does the church handle custody disputes?? Is there a regular briefing of teachers, etc. to discuss safety and security issues? Are there emergency drills - fire, earthquake, etc?
    Bingo, Dr. Bob! We spend a lot of time discussing the 'what-ifs' of active shooters in churches, while the most likely scenarios are tornadoes, non-custodial parent kidnaping, etc.

Safety and Security includes far more than guys with guns in the balcony. How many of your churches do a background check on EVERY person who spends time with youth and children? Any idea how many lives are ruined each year because of that fact alone?

Running background checks on figuring out fire exits are not sexy or 'manly.' But they are the most important thing you can do for the people who worship at your church or temple.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    Just ordered that book.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Sounds awesome..... We have two guys that sit in a pick-up truck that roves around the parking lot.... I don't know if they carry... I would guess no...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by bwollard View Post
    I am an Elder at my church and this very topic has come up between me and a few of our congregation members. We currently do not have a security team and I would like to try and come with a proposal to our Session (the leaders). I do have a LE background and currently work in the field, but there seems to not be a lot of information within our LE community about this subject. Does your church have written policies and are they (you) willing to share this information with another church? Thanks for any help.
    Personally, I'd opt for a don't ask, don't tell policy. It's one thing to have trained, off-duty LEOs armed on church grounds. It's another set of problems if a well-meaning yet untrained congregant on your security team draws down by mistake on an innocent bystander, or inadvertantly shoots a child during an exchange of gunfire.

I'd be really careful.

My church has it's first training session for our team tomorrow night. It has been in the works for some time, working out the details and the legalities of it all is what takes a lot of time.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

GM
    Sounds good. Keep working on it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'm going to start working security at our church as well, after spending a few months teaching 4 and 5 year old kiddos (I needed something less stressful!). The subject of CC has come up and the general consensus is to simply let it be for now. Kind of a don't ask, don't tell situation. If you do, it's certainly not illegal, you're just acting as an individual citizen. Whether that would hold up in court or not, I have no idea. I would expect a policy from our church any day now. I'm really not sure how to approach this once I start working security. I carry when I sit in the service, but I didn't carry when I was teaching. I really thought about it, but I'm relatively new to carry and I just had too many kids crawling all over me, too much jumping and playing with them to comfortably carry while I was teaching.

And we do background checks on all volunteers.

Hats off to your church leadership for being proactive in this area. As a Pastor I'm curious to know how many people are working security in a given service?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links