Flying into Massachusetts

This is a discussion on Flying into Massachusetts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by madplmber Watch the folder in Mass too, if its blade is over 2 1/2 inches its illegal too. - Did you see ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying into Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by madplmber View Post
    Watch the folder in Mass too, if its blade is over 2 1/2 inches its illegal too.
    - Did you see that law somewhere? I did a few searches on MA knife laws and couldn't find anything concrete.

2. Remove Ads

From handgunlaw............

You can not carry a loaded firearm of any type inside any vehicle in Massachusetts without a class A permit
    issued by the state of Massachusetts.

Mass is bad news, keep the gun at home.

Chapter 140: Section 131G. Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

Why not fly to Boston, rent a car drive to VT right away carry your whole trip, then find an FFL mail the gun back to your local FFL just before you leave to head back to Boston. While the laws suck there's a ton excellent history there. If you own more than one gun then you'll be armed by the time you hit the door at your house after the trip.

You might even be able to cut the FFLs out of the process
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...-firearms-usps

So just mail it to yourself before you leave VT, and travel in accordance with Federal firearm travel laws, making your stay in Boston later on the itinerary.

Glock Certified Armorer

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Hotel stays and stops invalidate those protections.
    That was my point. However, INccwchris seemed very insistent that is not the case. I have always been taught that any overnight (or even lengthy same day) stop invalidates the Safe Passage protection, but for all I know, INccwchris is an Attorney who specializes in gun law, so I thought I had better hear him out.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Did you see that law somewhere? I did a few searches on MA knife laws and couldn't find anything concrete.
    and you probably WON'T find it either. Anything over 2.5 inch blade length could land you with a Felony in Masschusetts
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    That was my point. However, INccwchris seemed very insistent that is not the case. I have always been taught that any overnight (or even lengthy same day) stop invalidates the Safe Passage protection, but for all I know, INccwchris is an Attorney who specializes in gun law, so I thought I had better hear him out.
    I agree with the above post. I too, can appreciate Chris' input, but I LIVED in Massachusetts most of my life and had a Ma Class A LTC and License to Possess a Machinegun in that state until 1993, when i moved north to Nh. I was a FFL for almost 15 yrs in Mass and now find people, via my Shooting Sports position at Kittery trading Post, who intend to travel into Mass, and are faced with the same problem. IF the OP was going to stay in Mass for a couple days, MY suggestion, is to find Lodging in Southern NH and store the gun in a LOCKED safe at the Lodging, until they traveled north to their destination. I'm not trying to tick anybody off here, but I think i have a litle bit more inside knowledge pertaining to this, and NOT trying to be the "star of the show" here. I'd hate to see a Forum member get busted for something like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    So just mail it to yourself before you leave VT, and travel in accordance with Federal firearm travel laws, making your stay in Boston later on the itinerary.
    That sounds like a pretty good idea, thanks!!! I may also look into flying into Manchester as well, you guys are FULL of great ideas

I'm from MA also. Do not bring your gun into MA via logan. The state police will be waiting for you. You will be arrested when you try to pick up your gun. Also remember no magazines over 10 rounds or it's a felony and you'll never have a gun anywhere again. If you were driving through safe passage would work. Although they would still seize your gun and you can spend $$$ to get it back. If you must fly in Manchester NH is actually a breeze compared to logan. I would never go to Boston unarmed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links