Flying into Massachusetts

This is a discussion on Flying into Massachusetts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm guessing that I will NOT be able to take my firearm with me on vacation, but I figured I would run it passed you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying into Massachusetts

Flying into Massachusetts

I'm guessing that I will NOT be able to take my firearm with me on vacation, but I figured I would run it passed you guys first.

I have a Pennsylvania LTCF. We are flying to Boston (which does not honor my permit) staying a night in Boston, then spending a week in Vermont (in which I'm allowed to carry). I know the procedures for flying with a firearm checked in baggage. Upon landing in Boston could I leave the firearm in a locked case in the car trunk the entire time, following the Federal Regulations for Interstate Transportation, and then carry once in Vermont? Then do the same thing upon return to Massachusetts? Could I get in trouble at the airport in Boston when I declare the firearm?

Again I have resigned myself to not having a firearm with me. But I though maybe you guys would have some ideas.....

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrogers View Post
    We are flying to Boston (which does not honor my permit) staying a night in Boston...SNIP... Upon landing in Boston could I leave the firearm in a locked case in the car trunk the entire time, following the Federal Regulations for Interstate Transportation...SNIP.....
    Once you spend the night somewhere, you lose the protection of being a traveller. So, the only way you could be legal is to follow MA state law. Sorry, I'm not familiar with MA state law, but I'm sure somebody on the board is. However, your flight plans and plans to spend the night disqualify you for the federal travel law.
    Sorry,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    not true, once he arrives at the motel it falls into the same category as a dwelling and his firearm would be legal there. Firearm transport laws allow for travel to or from your domicile, work, and the range/gun shop. Once he is at the airport, transport it locked in the trunk, to the hotel, take it into the hotel lock and load and have it there, then clear it for travel the next day
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Are you talking about the Safe Passage Act or what MA law allows? If you are talking about the Safe Passage Act: It would be your contention that you could fly from Indy to Newark, NY with your firearm in baggage; leave the airport with your firearm (locked and unloaded in the trunk) and travel to a hotel in Newark, NJ; spend the night; and depart the next morning for your ultimate destination (let's say New Hampshire), all under the protection of the Safe Passage Act and without risk of being in violation of New Jersey state law?
    Respectfully,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    not true, once he arrives at the motel it falls into the same category as a dwelling and his firearm would be legal there. Firearm transport laws allow for travel to or from your domicile, work, and the range/gun shop. Once he is at the airport, transport it locked in the trunk, to the hotel, take it into the hotel lock and load and have it there, then clear it for travel the next day
    I lived in Mass, If you don't have a NON-Res LTC in that State (massachusetts) then YOU DON'T CARRY simple as that. mass has the bartly-Fox Law with a year in Jail no matter what. Word to the wise.....Leave the gun at home and don't chance it. Mass in NOT gun friendly.
    Where are you staying in VT? just curious as there are Plenty of gun shops in Nhalong your way. Too bad you didn't fly into Manchester Municipal as there's a public range "manchester Firing line on Brown Ave off Rt 293 North in manchester Nh.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    ok, just because he cannot carry there does not mean he cannot transport within federal law, there is a federal passage law in effect that allows for a person to transport a firearm in their vehicle as long as it is cased and the ammo and weapon are seperate. This means he could have his weapon in Mass, He was not asking about carry, he was asking could he put it in his vehicle still in his luggage and take it to the hotel, then pack it and go back to the airport, and the answer is yes. He does not have the ability to carry, but under federal law he has the right to transport
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Hotel stays and stops invalidate those protections. I have no desire to spend any time in jail. When I travel through, to, or stop in MA, IL, WI, CA, NY, NJ I leave my guns at home.

Even if I am going to Utah from NC, I'll not take the gun if I make a connection in Chicago. I could snag a weather delay, and be stuck with my gun on me illegally during a layover. Why risk it?

I was in a Boston hotel room earlier this week. My gun was safe down in NC. I had Happy Hour at the hotel, ate at a restaurant two blocks away, and walked back. I did have a folder on me, but I'm not risking jail time. YMMV.

IANAL.
    Last edited by MadMac; August 25th, 2010 at 09:49 AM.

I could be wrong about this but I used to live in Mass and I don't believe it is legal to process a handgun there,in any manner if you stay there over night.

I'm no lawyer but I believe that an over night stop isn't covered by the FAOPA federal transport law. I'm 99% sure a non resident LTC is needed to have a handgun even in a dwelling if you are staying overnight you've detained yourself within the state.

Go to new england shooters forums and go to the sub forum for Mass laws,there is a list of layers there who specialize in firearms laws for that state. They will know I'm sure,hope this helps you out man.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Watch the folder in Mass too, if its blade is over 2 1/2 inches its illegal too.
    Id leave the gun at home just havin ammo without a permit in Mass is against the law.
    Everything is illegal in Mass

VIP Member
    A little late for this trip, but Mass does issue non resident permits. As they recognize no other states permits you may want to look into one if Mass is going to be a regular stop for you.

You've probably already been here, but just in case............

http://handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm going to play it safe and leave it at home, I like mass. but I don't want to spend a year locked up there.....

If you can fly into another state, like VT, I presume that you would be well suited.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you can fly into another state, like VT, I presume that you would be well suited.

Biker
    I looked into it, but the flights to VT were way over double the price than the direct flight to Boston , plus my wife really wants to spend a day in Boston seeing the historic sights.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    ok, just because he cannot carry there does not mean he cannot transport within federal law, there is a federal passage law in effect that allows for a person to transport a firearm in their vehicle as long as it is cased and the ammo and weapon are seperate. This means he could have his weapon in Mass, He was not asking about carry, he was asking could he put it in his vehicle still in his luggage and take it to the hotel, then pack it and go back to the airport, and the answer is yes. He does not have the ability to carry, but under federal law he has the right to transport
    Chris
    I run into this all the time at the shop I work at, which happens to be in Maine, and we get a LOT of people <vacationers/tourists> who ask the VERY SAME question as what the OP asked. . First, if the OP was TRAVELING THROUGH the State of Mass, AND NOT STOPPING OVERNIGHT, then YES, He CAN travel with the weapon, PROVIDING the guns are SECURED in a LOCKED case, and NO ammunition is with the guns. My suggestion <and it's only my suggestion> is for the OP and his Family, to get off the plane, get the luggage, get their rental vehicle, and get the HECK OUT of Massachusetts and STAY in NH somewhere <it's 50 miles north of Boston, on his route to VT> Massachusetts sees NO HUMOR in people who ignore their gun laws. Just carrying AMMUNITION without a LTC, FID, or CCW license from their own State will place you with a hefty fine, Court appearence, and/ or in the pokey, and your ammo confiscated as evidence.
    I lived there most of my life, was a FFL there also, but people will do as they wish, and either abide by the laws, or take their chances. The choice is up to them.

Quote Originally Posted by mtrogers View Post
    I looked into it, but the flights to VT were way over double the price than the direct flight to Boston , plus my wife really wants to spend a day in Boston seeing the historic sights.
    Try Manchester/ Boston Airport in manchester Nh. Flights MIGHT be slightly higher, BUT it's closer to VT, AND 50 miles north of Boston. Rentals will be cheaper, and you may very well be able to carry what you want. NH is VERY GUN FREINDLY, not to mention a stop at Manchester Firing line (you'll go right by it if you fly into manchester) It depends on what airline you're flying. I know Southwest, United US Air, Continental, as a couple other fly into manchester. You may want to check it out.
    Her's a link to the airport for more info about location.
    http://www.flymanchester.com/
    another one is Pease Tradeport in Portsmouth Nh
    http://www.peasedev.org/index/index.asp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links