Defensive Carry banner

Flying into Massachusetts

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  southchatham 
#1 ·
I'm guessing that I will NOT be able to take my firearm with me on vacation, but I figured I would run it passed you guys first.

I have a Pennsylvania LTCF. We are flying to Boston (which does not honor my permit) staying a night in Boston, then spending a week in Vermont (in which I'm allowed to carry). I know the procedures for flying with a firearm checked in baggage. Upon landing in Boston could I leave the firearm in a locked case in the car trunk the entire time, following the Federal Regulations for Interstate Transportation, and then carry once in Vermont? Then do the same thing upon return to Massachusetts? Could I get in trouble at the airport in Boston when I declare the firearm?

Again I have resigned myself to not having a firearm with me. But I though maybe you guys would have some ideas.....

#2 ·
We are flying to Boston (which does not honor my permit) staying a night in Boston...SNIP... Upon landing in Boston could I leave the firearm in a locked case in the car trunk the entire time, following the Federal Regulations for Interstate Transportation...SNIP.....
Once you spend the night somewhere, you lose the protection of being a traveller. So, the only way you could be legal is to follow MA state law. Sorry, I'm not familiar with MA state law, but I'm sure somebody on the board is. However, your flight plans and plans to spend the night disqualify you for the federal travel law.
Sorry,
Gonzo

#3 ·
not true, once he arrives at the motel it falls into the same category as a dwelling and his firearm would be legal there. Firearm transport laws allow for travel to or from your domicile, work, and the range/gun shop. Once he is at the airport, transport it locked in the trunk, to the hotel, take it into the hotel lock and load and have it there, then clear it for travel the next day

#5 ·
I lived in Mass, If you don't have a NON-Res LTC in that State (massachusetts) then YOU DON'T CARRY simple as that. mass has the bartly-Fox Law with a year in Jail no matter what. Word to the wise.....Leave the gun at home and don't chance it. Mass in NOT gun friendly.
Where are you staying in VT? just curious as there are Plenty of gun shops in Nhalong your way. Too bad you didn't fly into Manchester Municipal as there's a public range "manchester Firing line on Brown Ave off Rt 293 North in manchester Nh.

#4 ·
Are you talking about the Safe Passage Act or what MA law allows? If you are talking about the Safe Passage Act: It would be your contention that you could fly from Indy to Newark, NY with your firearm in baggage; leave the airport with your firearm (locked and unloaded in the trunk) and travel to a hotel in Newark, NJ; spend the night; and depart the next morning for your ultimate destination (let's say New Hampshire), all under the protection of the Safe Passage Act and without risk of being in violation of New Jersey state law?
Respectfully,
Gonzo

#6 ·
ok, just because he cannot carry there does not mean he cannot transport within federal law, there is a federal passage law in effect that allows for a person to transport a firearm in their vehicle as long as it is cased and the ammo and weapon are seperate. This means he could have his weapon in Mass, He was not asking about carry, he was asking could he put it in his vehicle still in his luggage and take it to the hotel, then pack it and go back to the airport, and the answer is yes. He does not have the ability to carry, but under federal law he has the right to transport

#14 ·
Chris
I run into this all the time at the shop I work at, which happens to be in Maine, and we get a LOT of people <vacationers/tourists> who ask the VERY SAME question as what the OP asked. . First, if the OP was TRAVELING THROUGH the State of Mass, AND NOT STOPPING OVERNIGHT, then YES, He CAN travel with the weapon, PROVIDING the guns are SECURED in a LOCKED case, and NO ammunition is with the guns. My suggestion <and it's only my suggestion> is for the OP and his Family, to get off the plane, get the luggage, get their rental vehicle, and get the HECK OUT of Massachusetts and STAY in NH somewhere <it's 50 miles north of Boston, on his route to VT> Massachusetts sees NO HUMOR in people who ignore their gun laws. Just carrying AMMUNITION without a LTC, FID, or CCW license from their own State will place you with a hefty fine, Court appearence, and/ or in the pokey, and your ammo confiscated as evidence.
I lived there most of my life, was a FFL there also, but people will do as they wish, and either abide by the laws, or take their chances. The choice is up to them.

#7 · (Edited)
Hotel stays and stops invalidate those protections. I have no desire to spend any time in jail. When I travel through, to, or stop in MA, IL, WI, CA, NY, NJ I leave my guns at home.

Even if I am going to Utah from NC, I'll not take the gun if I make a connection in Chicago. I could snag a weather delay, and be stuck with my gun on me illegally during a layover. Why risk it?

I was in a Boston hotel room earlier this week. My gun was safe down in NC. I had Happy Hour at the hotel, ate at a restaurant two blocks away, and walked back. I did have a folder on me, but I'm not risking jail time. YMMV.

IANAL.

#19 ·
Hotel stays and stops invalidate those protections.
That was my point. However, INccwchris seemed very insistent that is not the case. I have always been taught that any overnight (or even lengthy same day) stop invalidates the Safe Passage protection, but for all I know, INccwchris is an Attorney who specializes in gun law, so I thought I had better hear him out. :smile:

#8 ·
I could be wrong about this but I used to live in Mass and I don't believe it is legal to process a handgun there,in any manner if you stay there over night.

I'm no lawyer but I believe that an over night stop isn't covered by the FAOPA federal transport law. I'm 99% sure a non resident LTC is needed to have a handgun even in a dwelling if you are staying overnight you've detained yourself within the state.

Go to new england shooters forums and go to the sub forum for Mass laws,there is a list of layers there who specialize in firearms laws for that state. They will know I'm sure,hope this helps you out man.

#9 ·
Watch the folder in Mass too, if its blade is over 2 1/2 inches its illegal too.
Id leave the gun at home just havin ammo without a permit in Mass is against the law.
Everything is illegal in Mass

#10 ·
A little late for this trip, but Mass does issue non resident permits. As they recognize no other states permits you may want to look into one if Mass is going to be a regular stop for you.

You've probably already been here, but just in case............

http://handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf

#17 ·
From handgunlaw............

You can not carry a loaded firearm of any type inside any vehicle in Massachusetts without a class A permit
issued by the state of Massachusetts.

Mass is bad news, keep the gun at home.

Chapter 140: Section 131G. Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

#18 ·
Why not fly to Boston, rent a car drive to VT right away carry your whole trip, then find an FFL mail the gun back to your local FFL just before you leave to head back to Boston. While the laws suck there's a ton excellent history there. If you own more than one gun then you'll be armed by the time you hit the door at your house after the trip.

You might even be able to cut the FFLs out of the process
Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-usps

So just mail it to yourself before you leave VT, and travel in accordance with Federal firearm travel laws, making your stay in Boston later on the itinerary.

#23 ·
I'm from MA also. Do not bring your gun into MA via logan. The state police will be waiting for you. You will be arrested when you try to pick up your gun. Also remember no magazines over 10 rounds or it's a felony and you'll never have a gun anywhere again. If you were driving through safe passage would work. Although they would still seize your gun and you can spend $$$ to get it back. If you must fly in Manchester NH is actually a breeze compared to logan. I would never go to Boston unarmed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.