Carry on Roadways through National Forests?

This is a discussion on Carry on Roadways through National Forests? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am driving on business through and around Franklin, NC, later this week. Much of the area in North Carolina is part of the Nantahala ...

Thread: Carry on Roadways through National Forests?

Carry on Roadways through National Forests?

I am driving on business through and around Franklin, NC, later this week. Much of the area in North Carolina is part of the Nantahala National Forest. I'm concerned about carry through the Forest on state roads and highways but not in right-of-way or clearly marked NFS roads. Do I need to be concerned/ leave my firearm in the safe? I spent about an hour searching for information and couldn't find anything about it other than in Florida. Little help?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Did you check handgunlaw.us or USACARRY? Those two sites are full of invaluable information. I do not have an answer to the question as I have not researched it.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I did check handgunlaw.us for North Carolina and Car/RV carry. They have information on the fact that NC has no carry in National and State Forests, which I already knew. My question is more to highways and other non- Forest Service roads.

The National Forests are not the same as National Parks. To my knowledge carry in National Forests will be under State jurisdiction. If your States allow ccw in their State Parks, I believe you are good to ccw in the National Forests which are within that State. Some States don't allow ccw in any of their parks and that would include a National Forest in that State.

I'll try and dig around for a more definite answer and update my post if I find something.

Update:

From the South Carolina SLED (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division) website:
    http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaw...x?MenuID=CWP#6

SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.
    (statutes A-L not included as they are not relevant to the question)

(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:

(1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;

(2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;

(3) courthouse or courtroom;

(4) polling place on election days;

(5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;

(6) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;

(7) daycare facility or pre school facility;

(8) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;

(9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body; or

(10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor’s office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.

A person who wilfully violates a provision of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than one year, or both, at the discretion of the court and have his permit revoked for five years.
    Nothing contained herein may be construed to alter or affect the provisions of Sections 10 11 320, 16 23 420, 16 23 430, 16 23 465, 44 23 1080, 44 52 165, 50 9 830, and 51 3 145.

I don't see anything mentioned about not carrying in Parks or National Forests.

Below is a .pdf document from handgunlaw.us of Frequently Asked Questions. Item #7 refers to carrying in National Forests.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/FAQ.pdf
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It is my understanding that you can carry on land owned my the Department of Interior, but I could be wrong.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Here's the deal. If you are hiking on NF land, which is likely Gamelands, in NC you have to carry a .22 pistol out of normal hunting seasons for game animals. Yeah, it's dumb. I've made a ruckus about it. In a car, I don't worry about it. I always have my G19 on me in the car and transition to the .22 when I start hiking or fishing.

If they are main roads, paved and well used, I would not worry about it. Honestly, I would not worry about the off the beaten path FS roads either. But that's me. The likelyhood of encountering a FS ranger on a well used paved road that happens to go through FS land is nearly zilch. In 20 yrs of beating the dirt back roads of NC on gamelands I have encountered 1 FS ranger, and a handful of gamewardens. The FS ranger I passed in my truck and waved at. Also, you are allowed to carry whatever you want, handgun, long gun, or shotgun, in a campsite. So how do they think you would get it there? In the car.

It's a beautiful area, enjoy the trip.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Campsites, huh? You by chance have the link to that anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by hEZE7had View Post
    Campsites, huh? You by chance have the link to that anywhere?
    Bear in mind that this may be different for improved campsites, ie official campgrounds with facilities. You may have to check with each campground. This applies to primitive road side sites that are on both NF and Gamelands. But to be honest, I cannot place any NF land in NC that is not gameland. I'm looking for this in a more official spot. But this email is what I have right now, see #5. I got this email as part of my raising a ruckus about having larger defensive side arms on gamelands.

Good Morning,

Thank you for the email. I have spoken with our Rules Biologist regarding your question. You are not the first to request information or a clear understanding. Please see below the explanation that was given. Please let me know if you need additional assistance.

Weapons on Game Lands

It is unlawful to possess a firearm or bow and arrow on a game land at any time except:
    1. During the open hunting seasons or hunting days for game birds (which are waterfowl, doves, woodcock; snipe, rails, gallinules, moorhens, coots, grouse, pheasant, quail and turkey) or game animals (which are deer, bear, rabbits, squirrels, wild boar, bobcats, opossum and raccoon) other than fox;
    2. Unless the device is cased or not immediately available for use;
    3. When possessed and used by persons participating in field trials on field trial areas;
    4. When possessed and used on target shooting areas designated by the landowner;
    5. When possessed in designated camping areas for defense of persons and property

However, .22 caliber pistols with barrels not greater than seven and one-half inches in length and shooting only short, long, or long rifle ammunition may be carried as side arms on game lands at any time other than by hunters during the special bow and arrow and muzzle‑loading firearms deer hunting seasons and by individuals training dogs during closed season without field trial authorization.

Furthermore, only shotguns with any size shot and bow and arrow may be possessed during the big game season for turkey.

Previously, you were limited to a shotgun shell no larger than no. 4 and rifle or pistol no larger than .22 rimfire when the big game seasons were closed. By adopting H29, the Commission is allowing hunters to possess more powerful weapons during small game and migratory bird seasons, in addition to their possession during big game seasons, with the exception of turkey season (no handguns and no rifles).

Visit www.ncwildlife.org
    to subscribe to Wildlife Email Updates.

Best Regards,
    Amy Willis
    NC Wildlife Resources Commission
    Division of Wildlife Management
    1722 Mail Service Center
    Raleigh, NC 27699-1722
    P: 919-707-0056
    F: 919-707-0067

No prohibition of firearms here in regards to developed recreation sites. USDA National Forest Service. Again, a call to the local ranger can't hurt.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...1999&TYPE=TEXT
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

http://www.ncwildlife.org/NewsReleas..._Questions.htm

This may answer your questions on NC.

Links