Incident at gas station saturday.

This is a discussion on Incident at gas station saturday. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at a kangaroo/exxon at the corner of a major 6lane and 4lane road intersection. its was about 6pm on a nice afternoon. Its ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Incident at gas station saturday.

I was at a kangaroo/exxon at the corner of a major 6lane and 4lane road intersection. its was about 6pm on a nice afternoon. Its a college town with over 30,000 students alone so most consider it a "safe" area (i was well aware that NOWHERE is safe anymore beforehand btw) also i am by no means a small guy at about 6'3" 225... as i pull up my SA is already alerted by the 2 males mulling around the next row of pumps to my left. my sierra was parked with the pump on my left, the next row and suspicious males were also to my left. my truck is to my right and my door was open with keys in my pocket. so my phone was sitting on the center console and my reminder alarm went off, so i turned around and grabbed it, as i turn back around i notice the 2 males walking towards my truck and me. I immediately get my back to the v shaped opening made by the door. one male approaches from straight ahead from the rear of my truck and the other approached from between my door and the pump. I was completely cornered other than jumping into my truck and trying to get the door shut before they both could grab it. so i try not to look panicy as the one closest to my asks me random questions about "are you that guy who um that guy who who ah..." and i just kept saying no that isnt me man and the other one then says "hey man you got a dollar?" and i say nope, i have no cash and then they both just kinda turn around and walk away and i was lucky enough to walk away completely unharmed.

And heres the kicker of the whole story: i was unarmed due to the 7 day waiting period in order to receive my concealed weapons permit. i have since been granted my permit by the county but now i have to get the OK from the university i attend because i am currently a student.

Now for the questions...
    Would you have acted differently?
    What about unarmed/armed in this scenario?
    Would your SA have been on red as mine was?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Oh that could have gone so bad so quick, I would have at least been carrying OC spray if need be, if nothing else works or u have nothing else, grab that gas nozzle and if they get close, spray em with gas
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

You didn't say if you were actually gassing up.
    I always gas up manually, then I have a 5000 gal mace sprayer in my hand, should events get untidy.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    if he was not gassing up, he should have driven away, just my two cents
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Glad things turned out ok for you. Stay safe as you cc
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I am glad that situation didn't escalate for you. I have a friend that was approached in a similar manner, then got a sucker punch in the face before the POS took off with his wallet. He tells anyone pulling that kind of BS to back off when he sees them approaching. He has even caught guys trying to sneak up on him while he is pumping gas. Usually it goes something like this:

My friend: Stop right there.
    POS: I just wanna ask you something, man.
    My friend: Ask me from right there.
    POS: Okay, okay, man, I just wanna ASK you something, man.
    My friend: Stay where you are, and ask me.
    POS: Well, uhh....you got any change?

I am glad that you, as a student, are not one of those kids that think that college is just a safe haven. Another friend of mine was beaten on his way back from the library to his dorm
    (in the evening), and he lived on a very nice campus, outside of Hartford, CT. The two POS's took his jacket, his wallet, and his shoes, leaving him with a broken nose lying face down in the snow. On campus, it is so commonplace for groups of people to approach you, that your SA doesn't always alert you. Young thugs go onto college campuses and blend in.

I don't attend college, but I have been thinking of getting a Ka-Bar personal defense knife that if in too close proximity to one or more attackers, it might be more of a fluid motion to grab your knife rather then your primary weapon. At the very least, it may delay the attack and allow you to get at your gun with them at a better distance.

GM
    Glad that nothing happened.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

You did fine - there was no need to pull a gun as they left. That's fortunate.

As a follow-up, you should alert the gas station manager/attendant to what transpired, and perhaps call the non-emergency number for the police and give them a description of the "beggars" and say you felt they may be up to no good. It's very likely the gas station has video surveillance for reporting people who pump and drive off. Your follow-up may protect someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    You didn't say if you were actually gassing up.
    I always gas up manually, then I have a 5000 gal mace sprayer in my hand, should events get untidy.
    i was in the process of manually pumping (for the exact reasons stated) and they approached as my phone went off, AS SOON AS I TURNED MY BACK

Quote Originally Posted by KTCameraman View Post
    I am glad that situation didn't escalate for you. I have a friend that was approached in a similar manner, then got a sucker punch in the face before the POS took off with his wallet. He tells anyone pulling that kind of BS to back off when he sees them approaching. He has even caught guys trying to sneak up on him while he is pumping gas. Usually it goes something like this:

My friend: Stop right there.
    POS: I just wanna ask you something, man.
    My friend: Ask me from right there.
    POS: Okay, okay, man, I just wanna ASK you something, man.
    My friend: Stay where you are, and ask me.
    POS: Well, uhh....you got any change?

I am glad that you, as a student, are not one of those kids that think that college is just a safe haven. Another friend of mine was beaten on his way back from the library to his dorm
    (in the evening), and he lived on a very nice campus, outside of Hartford, CT. The two POS's took his jacket, his wallet, and his shoes, leaving him with a broken nose lying face down in the snow. On campus, it is so commonplace for groups of people to approach you, that your SA doesn't always alert you. Young thugs go onto college campuses and blend in.

I don't attend college, but I have been thinking of getting a Ka-Bar personal defense knife that if in too close proximity to one or more attackers, it might be more of a fluid motion to grab your knife rather then your primary weapon. At the very least, it may delay the attack and allow you to get at your gun with them at a better distance.
    and yes i know that college campuses are not safe, a close friend of mine was robbed at gunpoint not 50yds from the busiest street on campus. and i have been told of numerous people including firsthand accounts of friends getting jumped and beaten up at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You did fine - there was no need to pull a gun as they left. That's fortunate.
    I was unarmed due to reasons cited in original post

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide13 View Post
    I was unarmed due to reasons cited in original post
    Sorry - I meant to post that you WOULDN'T have had to draw your weapon in that situation. Glad you are safe.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I had something like that happen to me about 2 or 3 years ago.... before I could carry a gun. I was at a fast food place in my car waiting in line, a guy walked from his car behind me and started to walk up to my car. That was when I loudly told him to back away from my car right now in a very load tone. He did and that was the end of that. If I was armed, I don't know if I would have changed anything.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Does your college allow you to carry on campus?

If something is tripping your SA I'd suggest you ignore your phone or anything else that would take your attention off the bogie

Being a smoker, I always carry a Zippo in my off side front pocket.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    if things get ugly, douse 'em with gasoline and then reach into your pocket and ask them if they'd like a light (even if you don't carry a lighter) bet they don't stick around.............
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links