Finally a member of the club (Erie County NY)

This is a discussion on Finally a member of the club (Erie County NY) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My permit finally came in the mail yesterday. It took about 5 months to come, which, sadly for my county is rather fast as of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally a member of the club (Erie County NY)

My permit finally came in the mail yesterday. It took about 5 months to come, which, sadly for my county is rather fast as of late. Went to the gun store today and purchased a S&W MP in 40 cal full size. Gotta go drop off the paperwork Friday or Monday, and anxiously await the printed permit to show up in the mail (I'm told 2 weeks) so I can go get my new toy. Guy I bought from was a bit of a crotchety old *******, but still happy with my purchase. I think he was trying to be funny, and was failing miserably.

After I bought, I started to think - all my guns are black. Solid black. Next trap gun or pistol has to add some color methinks. Anywho - can't wait and just wanted to give some hope to the poor people of NYS. After feeling like a 7 yr old waiting for my box top toy to come in the mail and diligently looking for it daily, it did eventually show up.

Welcome and Congrats be safe out there.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Distinguished Member
    Congrats! Restricted or Unrestricted?

I applied for "Target and hunting". I heard unrestricted is a pipe dream off the bat in this county unless you can make an ungodly good case for it (I can't). I'll start w/that, get a membership to a 24/7 range, and go from there. IN a year or 2 I'll apply to get it upgraded. Advice/tricks for the approval are welcomed. I went for what I did because I just wanted the damn thing.

GM
    Congrats and enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

You need to find a way to get down here to Chautauqua County. Permits come unrestricted from the start, they take about 4 to 6 weeks and you take the paperwork to the pistol permit office, get the gun added to your permit and pick up the new gun the same day.

I wish I could have/did do that. From what I gather, NYS law states that if you're a resident, since a state license you should be able to apply in any county. However, NYS sucks *****, especially erie county, and I didn't wanna deal with any potential complications that may arise from me playing those types of games. However, while I give a big (*)&)*^B to NYS and Hillary Clinton for coming here to boost her political visibility cuz the idiots in NYC would elect her, I must give props to the county permit dept. I must have called them at least 4-5 times to check on the status, and they were polite and professional every time.

congrats on the permit and welcome from Mesa, AZ! Stay armed, stay safe!
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

NB!!! :

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    I applied for "Target and hunting". I heard unrestricted is a pipe dream off the bat in this county unless you can make an ungodly good case for it (I can't). I'll start w/that, get a membership to a 24/7 range, and go from there. IN a year or 2 I'll apply to get it upgraded. Advice/tricks for the approval are welcomed. I went for what I did because I just wanted the damn thing.
    Not true. I had business-carry the first year, asked it be upgraded to unrestricted right after 1 yr mark - fairly standard reasons for personal protection which I knew wouldn't fly the first time. In two weeks in the mail I had the notice to come down and get permit printed "Unrestricted".. The Judge for Erie County permits is a hunter. After a year, use something reasonable for the reasons for personal protection - mine were age and medical conditions + an upswing in street-crime - then call up Pistol Permit Office of the County and ask how to apply. Then do it. The restrictions are just county ordinances, I'm not suggesting you violate them as you could lose your permit, but it's not felony State Gun Law you're talking about, and it's at the discretion of the Judge and his Permit Officer - a very nice man - to remove them. Which is the way some counties are to begin with. It's not a huge deal.

If you have a business, even a secondary one that would indicate need for a weapon (mine was second small career as photographer), get a Doing Business in Erie County Certificate at the County Bldg. You need nothing but a name for the business. It costs $30. With that, you change your application - in your case it would be new one I think (call and ask if this is relevant to you)- write up the business reason for CCW and enclose the DBA (Doing Business etc.) Certificate and you should be set. With Business Carry, you can usually have reason - handling cash, withdrawing money for business purposes etc. - that you likely could CCW all the time anyway.

Hope all this helps.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Congrats and stay safe!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Congrats! Enjoy!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Congrats and Welcome.

I Retired & moved upstate here in NYS 8 yrs ago & had an non restricted CCWP in NYC for the last 30+ yrs due to the nature of my Job there, but when I moved Upstate I had to turn in my NYC permit & re apply as a Resident in my new county & go before the Judge etc. he had all of my personnel data including my Military record etc. Unblemished etc. & he gave me a Non- Restricted CCWP for the amount of $5.00 for life here in NYS He said that because of my backround & Job etc. Nice Judge I have thanked him for the last few years by serving on his Re- Election Committe etc. ( BROWN NOSEING ) if you want to call it that, but he is a really nice guy, that carries 2 Glock's on him every day, He reminds me of the Judge from the Movie " AND JUSTICE FOR ALL " with Al Pacino. con grads on your CCWP.

Congrats.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Congrats and enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links