Defensive Carry banner

CCW In National Parks

3K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  popo22 
#1 ·
Almost two years ago (August 2004, to be exact) we had a thread going about a petition to the Secretary of the Interior to allow CCW with a valid state permit in National Parks. http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1125&highlight=CCW+National+Parks.

As we all know, this is a no-no under the current rules.

Since then, a new Secretary of the Interior has been appointed (Dirk Kempthorne, the former governor of Idaho).

Has anybody heard anything new about this? I searched the DOI web site http://www.doi.gov/ but couldn't find anything.

#4 ·
PackerfanXD said:
In AZ we can carry in all the national forests we want but the Grand Canyon (national park) is a no-no. What is the logic behind this I wonder?
The "logic" behind this apparent contradiction is the fact that the National Forests and the National Parks are run by two entirely different Federal agencies. The Forests allow firearms; the Parks do not.

The petition's purpose was to ask the Secretary of the Interior, who oversees the National Parks, to change the policy. The petition had nothing to do with the National Forests.

Since it's been almost two years and the National Parks are still gun-free zones, I'm guessing that the petition is pretty much a dead issue. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything new.

#5 ·
Many of the folks who are now the higher ups in the NPS are left over hippies from the 60s. They hate guns and would disarm the LE Ranger who protects you and your family in NPS Areas, if they thought they could get away with it. The mindset of many of the Nature Fakers and Fern Fondlers in the NPS is definately anti gun.

The way you get the attention of the NPS Elites is take away their government money until they do what you want.

Jungle Work

#6 ·
Coincidentally, a couple of weeks ago I had a woman in my car (a "slug"--for those familiar with NoVA/DC communting) who worked for one of the senior civilians at the NPS. Definite tree-hugger. We began discussing my summer plans and how I want to take my kids camping/hiking, etc in the National Parks.
She cautioned me to be careful where I go because there is a lot of crime in the parks that goes unreported in the press...but how (her rant /on) it's all of Bush's fault, they have to cut their budget...blah blah blah...cut personnel...cut resources...all to pay for an illegal war... (her rant /off) Mind you, I picked her up in front of the Pentagon and I was in uniform.
Anyway, I asked her about what kind of crime occurs (getting her on the hook). She talked about rapes, robberys, perverts (men exposing themselves), homeless/vagrants. So I played the whole, "Whoa, that's scary...I'm glad the rangers are armed!"...she said, yes, but they are not around all of the time (I got a live one!!)
Now I pulled hard on the line--"So why must I be disarmed when I go into a national forest? I have been licensed by the state of Virginia to carry a concealed firearm, and over the course of the last 12 years taken weeks of training, plus multiple deployments to Iraq responsible for the security of me and my men. Why should only the bad guys have weapons? Why can't I defend my family?"

Her: <silence>, then "More guns won't keep the park safe"

Me: You are right, but at the moment the bad guy or his friends are there, i don't care about the park, I care about my family

Her: (watch the deflection) Well, the parks are there to preserve cultural icons and natural resources...not for recreation (yes...she actually said this...I can't make this up)

Me: So who is supposed to go to these national parks that you need funding for?

Her: <silence> having guns in the national parks is illegal. People should go there to enjoy the scenery, not worry about getting shot.

Me: you are right again....that needs to be changed. However, you just said the parks are for preserving culture and natural resources, not recreation. Not to mention, I think it is negligent on the park service for not warning people of the threats you just mentioned. There is no e-mail, no cell phone...and by your statement, no park ranger right next to me. The only person that can defend me and my family is ME.

Her: <silence>

Then I turned on Bill O'Rielly and let her sit there and stew.

Mike in VA

#8 ·
:rofl:

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

#9 ·
I worked as a NPS LE Ranger and Criminal Investigator for about 17 years. Only a fool would go into a NPS Area unarmed. I worked National Recreation Areas and the ammount of crime was tenfold of the natural areas and most of it was alcohol/drug induced. I seen career criminals who operate in Federal Areas because most LE is nil to non existant. Many rangers who are LE have never made a physical arrest and believe that a citizen committing an unnatural act with a buffalo is worse that a citizens getting raped and murdered in a park. There are good LE in some parks, especially in the south and west, it just depends on whether the Chief Ranger has his stuff in one bag or not.

Jungle Work

#10 ·
i agree with the need to protect oneself in the parks. Here in TN not too long ago a woman got attacked by a bear! her child was killed and she was hospitalized. anyone wanna take a guess why she was alive? yep someone was carrying a gun when he shouldnt have been and fired a shot that scared the bear away. guess they need to think a lot about some of the dumb laws that they make. to be honest the bears are the least of my worries.

#12 ·
Efforts to Obtain CCW in National Parks

The Virginia Citizen's Defense League (www.VCDL.ORG) submitted a Petition for Rule Making to the NPS some time back. The NPS hasn't been responsive to the petition and recently VCDL requested members to contact our Senator George Allen to see if he could check into the matter for us.

VCDL has a few paragraphs about the petitiion on their website, along with a list of other organizations that supported and signed the petition.

Rick

#13 ·
Has anybody heard anything new about this?
Finally, somebody answered my question. Thank you, Woodstock!:congrats:

Thanks for the link.

#16 ·
PaulG,

Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it, as well as the VCDL web site.

#17 ·
If you want to get the US NPS and Department of the Interior's attention, get your US Congressman/woman to support your activities for CCW in NPS Areas. The NPS will stone wall any attempt to allow CCW in its areas. Seveal years ago the NPS attempted to stop all hunting in NPS Areas, including the National Recreation Areas inwich hunting is one of the primary reasons for their being.

In dealing with NPS folks you have to remember you're dealing with folks who hate guns and gun owners. Its like going to PETA, the ACLU, the Brady Bunch and the DemoMarxist Party for the right to own a firearm. Ani't gonna happen if they can prevent it.

The Managers in the NPS have one iron clad rule, follow the money and who ever dishes it out. If the House of Reps want CCW in National Parks, there will be CCW in National Parks.

Jungle Work

#18 ·
palmgopher said:
Here in TN not too long ago a woman got attacked by a bear! her child was killed and she was hospitalized. anyone wanna take a guess why she was alive? yep someone was carrying a gun when he shouldnt have been and fired a shot that scared the bear away.
Don't tell me they arrested the guy with the gun and the bunny huggers protested that he disturbed a bear in it's natural environment.

#23 ·
Jungle Work said:
I worked as a NPS LE Ranger and Criminal Investigator for about 17 years. Only a fool would go into a NPS Area unarmed. I worked National Recreation Areas and the ammount of crime was tenfold of the natural areas and most of it was alcohol/drug induced. I seen career criminals who operate in Federal Areas because most LE is nil to non existant.
Are there any statistics or reports available to the general public about crime in Natl / State / County Parks? If we are going to raise awareness or change legislator's minds, it would be good to have some hard facts.

The county I live in has rules that you can't take a firearm into a county park either, including the rail-trail bike paths and even the very remote rural areas such as abandoned mills, mines, forges, etc. that are designated as parks but are basically just several acres of overgrown fields & woods, with no facilities or attendants. During the week when I would like to go, there is nobody else there. I like the solitude but hate the vulnerability. I'd like to get the rules changed so I could feel safe.

LibertyGal

#24 ·
LibertyGal...
If it is a remote rural area...will anyone see your firearm? (just a thought)....kinda like if a tree falls in a forest, and no one is there, does it make a sound?

Mike in VA

#25 ·
I am an armed liberal. Democrat. I know those are supposed to be conflicting ideas, but that's the way I was raised. I would like to know why a federal government, completely run by Republicans, is so afraid of an armend citizenry?

Why hasn't Bush and Company pushed for a national CCW right for all non-felon adults, without having to get a permit from a local sheriff? When I camp in the national forests my spouse and I are both armed, always. We NEVER carry into Yosemite though, and last year a black bear walked across the trail I was on just ten feet away. To say I was nervous is an understatement. I am adding Alaska Bear Spray to my Yosemite kit since a gun would definitely get me in more trouble than it would be worth. I have never understood the anti-gun crowd, on either side of the political spectrum.

I would love a CCW, but here in CA they are nearly impossible to obtain unless you are "connected" to the Sheriff. If liberals really want to change the world for the better, they'd better begin by being liberal with their understanding of the Second Amendment. Asking the conservatives to uphold the 2nd is a waste of time. They're scared someone who just had his job sent to China may take it out on the CEO of the company.

#26 ·
Carry in Parks

I do not work in a park, but have spoke with some of the "Park Rangers" about the increasing problem with the "Methamphetamine" cooker's. They say that many of the "cooker's" are setting up in the woods and forrest to avoid detection. I know from personal experience that these "cooker's/dealers" are pretty paranoid and frequently carry guns. These guy's alone (without even considering the rest of the criminal categories) would keep me from going into the parks unarmed.
Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.