Traffic Stop Tonight - GOOD!

This is a discussion on Traffic Stop Tonight - GOOD! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I got off of work pretty late tonight, so after coming home and getting out of the monkey suit, I was pretty hungry. My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, I got off of work pretty late tonight, so after coming home and getting out of the monkey suit, I was pretty hungry. My kitchen is completely out of commission for the next several months, so I geared up and ran out for a late-night bite to eat.

Not far from home, a cruiser pulled up fast behind me and lit me up. I pulled over to the side, set the brake, turned on the overhead lights, and placed my hands on the steering wheel in plain view.

After about 2 minutes, the officer walked up to my vehicle, and introduced himself. I immediately replied with "Good evening, Sir. I have to advise you that I have a concealed handgun license, and I'm armed tonight".

He said, "OK - is it on your side?". I said, "Yes, Sir".

He answered, "OK. Do you have any idea why we [his partner had just walked up to my passenger side] pulled you over?". I answered that I did not, and he informed me that my passenger-side headlight was out. I told him that I didn't realize that, and he told me to sit tight and he'd be right back.

He went back to his cruiser (presumably to run my license), and was back in less than a minute. He told me that he wasn't giving me a ticket or anything, to get my headlight fixed, and winked and told me that they were pretty much trying to keep the drunk drivers off the road. He then asked me what I did in the Marine Corps (I have Armed Forces Veteran plates), and after I replied, we swapped a few infantry stories, and he sent me on my way.

All in all, a great encounter. I've not had any problems with Columbus Police officers with regards to carrying, and this highly-professional officer was no exception! Kudos to him!

Not I've gotta go pick up a set of headlights tomorrow.
    Last edited by av8er; August 26th, 2010 at 10:35 AM.

He didn't empty your gun, break it down, and put it in the trunk like a few cops have done?

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You should put in "the good word" for him to his boss. Good police officers should be recognized for their professionalism.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

VIP Member
    Sounds like. Routine stop with no extra fanfare for the CCW. All in all, a good deal.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    You should put in "the good word" for him to his boss. Good police officers should be recognized for their professionalism.
    I frequently do this written form. I'm told the letter goes on file and can be useful on a 'rainy day' for the officer. That way we keep the good guys in play.

GM
    That was very nice.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Glad that your traffic stop worked out for the good. The majority of LEO's are pro firearm and carry (with permit of course) so you seldom have anything to worry with.

That being said, there is always that one out of the bunch that gets uptight when we the people excercise our right to bear arms. Those are the ones who seem to get our attention the most. A letter or phone call to the officer's superiors to commend him on a job well done would be nice.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Good deal. As it should be. Cop did a good job.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I frequently do this written form. I'm told the letter goes on file and can be useful on a 'rainy day' for the officer. That way we keep the good guys in play.
    That is incorrect. It is very nice of you to do, but incorrect. An officer can have 1,000 letters of appreciation and 150 awards for his/her performance on duty but once they make a mistake they are hung out to dry.

Thanks anyway.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    That is incorrect. It is very nice of you to do, but incorrect. An officer can have 1,000 letters of appreciation and 150 awards for his/her performance on duty but once they make a mistake they are hung out to dry.

Thanks anyway.
    Wow. That stinks. No matter, I'll keep writing letters of appreciation when appropriate anyway. Illegitimi non carborundum!

Thank you for your service.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post

Thanks anyway.
    Depends on the situation and department; I get good boy letters every so often and a bad one once in a while too. Its always nice to have a pile of good letters to show the boss that you are not always a "jerk". My complaint letters usually just get tossed, largely because of my reputation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As happens in the military, 100 "attaboys" can be wiped out by one "aw crap." Still both the officer and supervisor appreciate a kind word from teh geberal public.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sounds like all of my stops over the years. I have a high respect for the officers trying to keep drunks off the street. I make that statement as a person who has been t-boned by a drunk driver when my family was in the car with me. Everyone was just fine but it really shows you the damage one of the morons can do. The fuzz can legitimately pull me over any day. Respect them and they (almost) always respect you. Good job.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Glad it turned out well !!
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Had a similar incident last year happen to me, did the same thing you did except it was full day light out, didn't give me any grief or anything in Albion, real friendly guy.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links