Need some verbal ammo from my fellow Alabamians!

This is a discussion on Need some verbal ammo from my fellow Alabamians! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In short I was told to go back and read the law. I CC at church and every where I go. I was told that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some verbal ammo from my fellow Alabamians!

In short I was told to go back and read the law. I CC at church and every where I go. I was told that CC at church is illegal. I can't find where it says that. where does it state that it is legal or illegal?
    tpG23

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

- G. K. Chesterton

I havent seen it writing one way or the other.I guess its up to the church.I think its like every other property owner if thay ask you to leave because you carry you have to. Just dont see them asking you to leave but you never know.Prob. dependes on the size of the church if the mist. can give you the ok or thay have a commity to vote on it. I would prob. just carry and not tell myself

Someone told you to "read the law", ok here's the Law. http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf

Church carry is NOT restricted in Alabama, the only codified section that someone may be thinking of is 13A-11-52 which states you cannot carry on property not your own. However section 13A-11-73, superceeds .52 and has similar language. However the .73 section specifies "No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefor as hereinafter provided.". The referenced section removes the prohibition of carrying on premises not your own, if you have a valid pistol permit.

Edit: You won't find anything under the statutes that says it's "legal" to carry in church, as laws aren't written that way. Laws specify what is illegal, anything not prohibited thusly is therefor "legal".

Tell your source of bad info that they need to read the law, as you've got it correct.

As always: IANAL
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Senior Moderator
    You can carry in your church and they can ask you to leave, if your chruch has a state regulated school, then you cannot carry in the school part of the chruch.

But otherwise church carry is not illegal if you have a pistol permit
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

The others have hit it, but I would add that local sherrifs are able to put additional restrictions on the permit. So, unless it says no churches on your permit, then you are good. If it's the church telling you not to carry there, then they can tell you to leave and put in a trespassing call.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

The OP doesn't say who told him that. Make sure you have the law correct, and let them know, but also make sure that there is nothing about CC in the church by laws as well. Make sure you talk to the Clergy, elders etc to make sure that there is no feeling like that. If the church is not against it, go for it. If the church is against it, maybe it is time to find another church.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

What about that scripture thing about beating plowshares into M4's or trading clothing for a glock or sumpin like that
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

As others have said, church carry is not, that I know of, prohibited in AL. I am sure there are many guns in almost every church service in AL.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    You can carry in your church and they can ask you to leave, if your chruch has a state regulated school, then you cannot carry in the school part of the chruch.

But otherwise church carry is not illegal if you have a pistol permit
    Not that I would advocate doing so, as it tends to get folks excited, but AL law appears to allow school carry for those with a permit.

From 13A-11-72. Certain persons forbidden to possess pistol. from the link above:

(e) Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol permits issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of subsection (c) of this section.

Yeah there's no state law that says you cannot carry onto school property in AL with a permit as long as you have no intent to do harm, federal law makes mention of it, but I believe it defers to state code. I haven't checked out the federal rules in detail.

On the subject of school carry though, I'll just say concealed means concealed..

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    What about that scripture thing about beating plowshares into M4's or trading clothing for a glock or sumpin like that
    Coffee blew out my nose.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm not from the heart of Dixie, but there like everywhere else, churches are private property. The person entrusted with the care and operation of the church certainly has the authority to prohibit the carrying of weapons there. While not technically illegal, the old trespassing ordnance would probably kick in if you're caught. One thing you might try is taking your minister out for an afternoon of casual plinking, during which you could explain that all mass shootings in churches have occured in churches where weapons are prohibited.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Edit: You won't find anything under the statutes that says it's "legal" to carry in church, as laws aren't written that way. Laws specify what is illegal, anything not prohibited thusly is therefor "legal".
    You beat me to it. I was going to make the same point. There is no law making things legal.

The law says you can't drive over 65. It doesn't say you can drive 60, 61, 62, 63, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    While not technically illegal, the old trespassing ordnance would probably kick in if you're caught.
    Unless it's posted "No Trespassing", which I doubt the church is, the only time you'd be trespassing is if you were asked to leave, and refused.

VIP Member
    One other quick comment. The reply mentioning state regulated schools is not correct in that law specifically states "public school" and then states that the public schools to which it refers are only those composed of grades K-12.

13A-11-72. Certain persons forbidden to possess pistol.
    c) Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly
    with intent to do bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a
    public school.
    (f) The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a school composed of
    grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Just wonderin', how did this topic come up? As for me (I'm an Alabamian), I keep my mouth shut to everybody in regards to what I'm carrying. 99% of the sheeple will never know you're armed to the teeth whether you're in church, at Wal-Mart, etc. Having said that, I would *NOT* open carry in Church.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links