I was asked to leave...

This is a discussion on I was asked to leave... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other day, I was asked to leave a bank because I was carrying. The manager of the bank said that it says on the ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I was asked to leave...

I was asked to leave...

The other day, I was asked to leave a bank because I was carrying. The manager of the bank said that it says on the front door that no firearms are allowed inside. I asked her to show me the sign as I had not seen it when I entered. It was at the bottom of the door and about the size of a fifty cent piece. It had a picture of a gun inside a circle, with a slash through it. My question is, when does an establishments rules override state law?

2. Remove Ads

I don't know about Georgia, but I was taught that here in Florida it is illegal to carry in a bank.
    On the rare occasion that I have to visit my bank, I use the drivethrough window.
    Armed, of course.

i would make it plain i would do as they wish and then take all my money else where

Lead Moderator
    Agree w/ Bud. Also check your state laws. most have sign size and placement rules. At any rate, I would spread the word to all my gun owning buddies about the bank too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabo2818
    The other day, I was asked to leave a bank because I was carrying. The manager of the bank said that it says on the front door that no firearms are allowed inside. I asked her to show me the sign as I had not seen it when I entered. It was at the bottom of the door and about the size of a fifty cent piece. It had a picture of a gun inside a circle, with a slash through it. My question is, when does an establishments rules override state law?
    Don't know about Georgia. In Alabama there is no provision in the law for posting no guns signs. Some states have included in the law a formula that must be used in the sign. Check with state AG. He will be your best source. I suspect that even if it is possible to post no gun signs the one the bank posted does not meet the states requirements. The rules in states that have them usually have the requirement that the sign be prominently placed. Some even have size requirements. I think Texas has the statement that must be on the sign and the statement includes the Code section listed in it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

How did she know you were carrying?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The sign at my bank just says no sunglasses or headgear

Don't they know people don't rob banks with guns - they rob banks with notes?! Man, around here the bank robbers have them trained so well you don't even have to write anything on the note - just walk in with a blank piece of paper and they start shoveling money into the bags.

You'd think they would have welcomed you . . . just in case someone had tried to steal one of those pens they keep chained up

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

VIP Member
    Most state laws provide an "out" for a business or private property. They can post a sign and or ask you to leave. If you fail to do so and the police are called you may be charged under whatever law is applicable in your area. In Virginia it is trespassing.

My local bank was acquired by one of those North Carolina banks that is buying everything in sight. They posted my bank. I wrote them a letter and got a snotty reply. I not only removed my money, but told everyone else I knew to remove theirs as well. They all followed me across the street to another local bank. I told the bank that lost my business and the bank that gained my business exactly why.

I also posted the snotty letter on the internet and let a lot of other pro-rights activists know about it. So the loss in deposits was probably much more significant in the end. Make them pay financially or they will all do it. I have since moved, but I doubt the bank changed its policy. Too many people not willing to have a small inconvenience to exercise their rights.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_db
    I don't know about Georgia, but I was taught that here in Florida it is illegal to carry in a bank.
    On the rare occasion that I have to visit my bank, I use the drivethrough window.
    Armed, of course.
    Banks are not on the prohibited list for Florida.

See Florida Firearms - Law, Use & Ownership, Sixth Ed, pp 67.

Matt

If the bank does not want your presence take your money and leave.

Assistant Administrator
    How did she know you were carrying?
    As Janq mentions - my question too!

In PA fortunately - at least in my locality - no problems with that. I know of no signage that is legally binding and if any sign shown then worst would be a request to leave.

I too would move to another bank if so treated.

Oddly - not too many weeks ago my own branch was held up by a guy with a gun - but he'd have gone in anyways wouldn't he - sign or no sign!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I wonder if the manager would point out the tiny sign to an armed robber during a hold-up too...

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson

Matt
    Thanks Matt!
    I was misinformed. My instructor told us that CCW was prohibited on Federal property and a bank is considered federal propery.
    Perhaps I misunderstood.

In Texas there are only two types of legal signs that prohibit carrying in firearms. On is strictly for the use of an establishment that makes 51% or more of its income from the sale of alcohol. The other sign must be posted in English and in Spanish and must follow certain guidelines. If they fail to follow the rules than the sign isn't legal and means nothing.

The signs of guns in a crossed out circle mean nothing in Texas. Oh and we can also carry in any state building and post office. I can meet with the Governor of Texas with my ccw on me. Just can't take into any federal building, like everywhere else. As for the Post Office, since the late 1970s (Ibelieve) the Post office has been a private interprise and not operated by the federal government.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson

Matt
    You beat me to it Matt but that is correct. It is also not on the list of banned places on the state website which is guarenteed accurate by the state! I carry in mine every time.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links