First encounter with a police officer while carrying not so good.

This is a discussion on First encounter with a police officer while carrying not so good. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had my first interaction with a police officer where me being armed came up today. I was on my way to return a core ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First encounter with a police officer while carrying not so good.

First encounter with a police officer while carrying not so good.

I had my first interaction with a police officer where me being armed came up today. I was on my way to return a core to a parts store and do some shopping when I passed an oncoming state patrol car. He pulled a u turn and proceeded to pull me over. I didn't have an inspection sticker as I had just recently registered my car and was within the 15 day period to get inspected so I knew why he was pulling me over.

He comes up to the passenger window and asked for the usual. I had it ready for him and handed it over. He didn't mention why he pulled me over so I asked if it was because of my inspection and he say yes and you don't have a front plate. I told him my car didn't have a place to put a front plate (which it doesn't) to which he said "Then what's your plan of attack, you can't get inspected without a front plate." (First clue this wasn't going to go so well.) I told him I'd have to get a bracket on there somehow. Before he goes back to his car he asks if there's anything in the car he needs to know about, drugs, knifes, firearms, etc. Here we go... I tell him I have my 1911 on me.

officer: Where is it?
    me: On my right side's back, sir.
    officer: Why are you carrying a loaded firearm?
    me: I'm just exercising my 2A right, sir.
    officer: Why do you think you need to carry a loaded firearm, do you think your going to need it?
    me: No, sir. (at this point he's asking more questions before I can even answer and basically cutting me off as I answer)
    officer: Then why are you carrying, is that the cool thing to do, is that what the cool kids do now? (I was quite surprised by this statement)
    me: No, sir.
    officer: Have you had any training other then what you've done yourself?
    me: I'm in the military and have been to the range plenty of times, sir.
    officer: Alright, keep your hands on the steering wheel, I'll be back.

Well I'm thinking to myself, this isn't going well... This guy definitely doesn't like citizens being armed. He comes back to the car with a warning stating our interaction.

officer: What branch of the military are you in?
    me: Army Reserves
    officer: Who's your CO?
    me: Captain A****
    officer: Does your CO know you carry a loaded weapon?
    me: I couldn't tell you whether he did or didn't, sir. (not that that is his business)
    officer: Do you think your CO would approve you carrying a loaded weapon?
    me: I don't see why he wouldn't. (again not his business, or would it matter)

The officer then told me to have a good day and be careful pulling back into traffic.

I spent the drive home thinking about how I could be better prepared next time something like this happens as the officer caught me off guard with his mini interrogation. I've come up with using an analogy to my seat belt. I put it on every time I'm in the car, not because I think I will get in an accident every time I drive but because in case I need it, it will be there. It bothers me quite a bit that this officer was so negative toward a citizen being armed as I am pursuing a career in law enforcement. I'm not sure this would have gone any differently if I wasn't 23, but I have a feeling it didn't help me. Apartently being young and taking your safety seriously means your a wannabe gangster.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry about the negative vibes.
    If you are within the law, I don't see that what he thinks is important.

Quote Originally Posted by GotCBOB View Post
    officer: Why do you think you need to carry a loaded firearm, do you think your going to need it?
    me: No, sir.
    Fortunately, I wasn't part of this encounter, or I would have said, "Well, Barney, would you prefer I tote an unloaded gun around? Would that make you feel better?"

Cop sounds like a tool.

Same reason I wear a seat belt officer, you just never know what's going to happen.

Should have just asked him why he carries one!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Hiram,
    You never know , these days, he may have said, "Because I have to."

Administrator
    You did just fine through that little ordeal soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Hiram,
    You never know , these days, he may have said, "Because I have to."
    I think you've got that right. I don't understand, I never even had a desire to give anyone a hard time while I was LEO? There were times when you didn't have a choice, but for the most part I throughly enjoyed the job and hope I helped most of the people I came in contact with, sometimes a ticket was the help they needed at the time, but I didn't add insult to injury by being ignorant about it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

That is unusual for the officer to ask if you have anything to declare. I have never had that asked of me.

Mas Ayoob said in his book, "Concealed Carry" that you should hand your CC permit over with the other stuff you give the officer. That way they are not alarmed by you declaring you have a gun. Some officers could take that statement as a threat.

Could have gone better, and could have gone worse.

Get the license plate on and the inspection and you should save yourself some trouble in the future.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I hate to hear that. I would have yold him it was none of his business, does HIS commander know how he interrogates people, and to either charge me with something, or save the questioning for someone else. I would have got his name and filed a formal complaint with his agency, AND write a letter to the newspaper to be posted about this incident to put further heat on him. Negative public response to an officers actions do wonders for correcting this type of behavior. He was out of line , and you need to address this.

Sounds like you did the best you could. I would not be surprised if he contacts your CO.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Above all else, you need to remain calm and POLITE. However, you need not answer all those unnecessary questions about your personal training, your CO, etc. This 'heavy handed' cop was way over the line.
    A simple, "Am I free to go now?" would replace answers to 'dumb questions' in my book.
    Sounds like you survived the 'bully' encounter pretty well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't know if his attitude would have been different if you informed from the very beginning but this is why I prefer to. Granted you did nothing wrong I want them to know right up front that I am armed. The worse thing they can do is disarm me during the stop. I have been stopped three times while armed and I have always informed right away.

Was he an older or younger Trooper?

Sorry your first encounter was a bad one.

Guy sounds like a jerk, maybe he was just having a bad day. Sorry he gave you a tough time. Sounds like you did well though.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links