Rite of passage post: First time pulled over since CPL....non-event

This is a discussion on Rite of passage post: First time pulled over since CPL....non-event within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since alot of people seem to post this kind of thread, I thought I'd add mine. Happily it lived up to my expectations...a non-event. Got ...

Thread: Rite of passage post: First time pulled over since CPL....non-event

Since alot of people seem to post this kind of thread, I thought I'd add mine. Happily it lived up to my expectations...a non-event.

Got pulled over tonite for the first time since I got my cc permit. Apparently I have a headlight out. I was not carrying.

I pulled over immediately, and put my hands on the steering wheel in view...just as I've always done, pre-cc.

Polite cop...asks if I know about headlight? "No sir."

Takes my documentation and goes back to his car.

Back soon after...and my hands are back on steering wheel...and says he's giving me a warning for the light, have a nice evening. And "thanks very much, I appreciate the courtesy of your hands on the steering wheel."

I dont know if he said it because he saw I had the permit when he ran my license and appreciated it, or just appreciated it in general. I do know I've been doing it for at least 25 yrs and no cop ever mentioned it before. OTOH, it's not like being stopped is that common for me either.

So...non-event for me.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Well, good for you on the outcome. As far as considering the whole ordeal as a "non-event".....I don't know. I'd say good experience and an opportunity to learn. No matter what you think in general nor your misconceptions, most cops are pretty cool. Granted......I've experienced better since I got my CC license.......or is it just a sign of the times? "Right of passage". Call it what you will. Your second lesson starts tomorrow.

Well the reason I always have put my hands in view on the steering wheel is because I used to make car stops as a park ranger. So I generally dont have a poor view of LE and only want to make their jobs easy.

And thank you

(My 2nd lesson may start tomorrow...I dont have time to buy and put in a new headlight tomorrow before work and will be coming home in the dark...... )
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Just had a good chuckle. Your story reminded me of the only traffic stop I've had in ten years. Burnt out headlamp at 23:30 heading back to the shop after a late/rush job. I had done a light check an hour and a half before I was stopped. The officer was polite and professional and I joked with him that they must have sensors on my car because it JUST went out (I had noticed it when I made my delivery) within the last hour! He laughed and said it wasn't sensors, it was satellites! Just big brother watching! We both laughed and went on our separate ways.

As Ram Rod said, learn from even the "non-events". Even if it is just confirmation of the correct procedures.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Driving at night and you weren't CCW?Now go get that firearm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm glad you had and uneventful traffic stop! In a way it doesn't surprise me because you were courteous and the officer was professional. A little respect on both ends goes a long ways.

I, like you, have had limited experiences with law enforcement (due in part to my hard work and clean living ). One incident that's always worth sharing is when I was rear ended while driving in Seattle a few years ago.

I was in downtown Seattle when I was rear ended by a guy while I was stopped in traffic. My car in turn hit the lady's car in front of me. She sustained some pretty significant injuries so SPD was called. While sorting through all the stuff, one of the officers asked me "whats that shiny thing on your belt?". I had just picked up a 'quick draw' sheath for my Buck 110 from the Monroe Gun Show. My first thought was that he was a pretty ovservant bloke considering I had a vest on at the time. I told him it was a knife and a Buck 110 specifically. He then asked if I had any other weapons on me. I sad "yes, a Glock pistol". Next came "Do you have a concealed weapons permit ?". Long story short... after I passed muster he told me that guys that carry knives like that usually know how to use them. He asked if I wanted to become a "test case for Seattle law"? My reply was "huh?". I got a quick lecture on blade length and his last words to me were "That knife will get you into way more trouble with the law than your pistol ever will. Throw it in the trunk & have a nice day".

I hope the lady who went to Harborview recovered from her injuries! I'm also indebted to the officer who could have busted my chops but didn't.
    I now carry a gentleman's folder. Doggone it, I still like Buck 110 knives though!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Driving at night and you weren't CCW?Now go get that firearm.
    Ya ya no kidding. I went somewhere I'd never been before over in E. WA and didnt know if it would be legal in the places I was going. I had my OC and my knife tho. (Poster after you reminded me of that.)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS8541 View Post
    I had just picked up a 'quick draw' sheath for my Buck 110 from the Monroe Gun Show. !
    Ah, good ol Monroe Gun show....this week is the Evergreen State Fair...have to stop in next week.
    Fortune favors the bold.

GM
    Good that everything ended well.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

LOL

Well, I got pulled over again this am...again for that headlight out. Again a non-event, even more so than the last one.

Very professional and impersonal cop, told me light was out and asked for my license. My hands were on steering wheel at all times. Only asked for drivers license, ran it, came back and sent me on my way. Nothing else, not even a warning.

OK! So I replaced the headlight this evening!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    ... and put my hands on the steering wheel in view...just as I've always done, pre-cc.
    Seems a common-sense consideration, to me. Just as locking the door on the house helps keep temptation off the table for most folks, keeping hands in full vew helps reduce the stress level by eliminating one of the big questions during a stop of an unknown motorist. (Of course, he/she is unknown to me as well, but there's not much I can do about that.)

I, too, have had a comment about it previously. It's not as though I get pulled over often, either, but the officer that day was appreciative of the consideration. I'm sure it helped things go as they did.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hands on the wheel does three things. It shows courtesy, it relieves tensions as your hands can be seen and it gives him an edge in weapons accessability.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Ya ya no kidding. I went somewhere I'd never been before over in E. WA and didnt know if it would be legal in the places I was going. I had my OC and my knife tho. (Poster after you reminded me of that.)
    Remember our preemption law :)

Actually, I've lived on the Sound, and in E WA (most of my life on the redneck side of the state) and 90% of the people here are very pro-gun, even the ones that vote left :)

Sponsored Links