First time to CC, different than I expected.

This is a discussion on First time to CC, different than I expected. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well my holster came (crossbreed, I love it) and took the wife for Pizza Friday night. All the usual things, feels like gun is falling ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well my holster came (crossbreed, I love it) and took the wife for Pizza Friday night. All the usual things, feels like gun is falling off, sticking out, everyone can see. Sitting at the Pizza joint wife says you should have worn your gun. Answer I did. I realized that nobody notices. The other thing and the most interesting was that the "John Wayne, I can handle anything" feeling was not there. Instead it was, as best I can describe a "reverence" for the privilege and responsibility I now had because I was carrying a lethal weapon. I never expected, but am grateful for that change that happend once it was real. I learned really quick with a weapon comes a huge responsibility. I thought I knew what to expect. I hope and pray I never ever need it.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Nice post. My license is being processed as we speak. I guess you have to go through it to actually experience it.
    Mitch Rapp is my hero (reference to the Vince Flynn novels)

RIP Vince! Going to miss your novels! :(

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    It's nice to get that affirmation! Sounds like a good first carry.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    Good post.

Next step (if you are like I was) is to not only realize that there is not only no macho up-ramping but there is a tendency to avoid confrontations and try to de-escalate situations -- because you know you are armed and that brings greater responsibility.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Good post.

Next step (if you are like I was) is to not only realize that there is not only no macho up-ramping but there is a tendency to avoid confrontations and try to de-escalate situations -- because you know you are armed and that brings greater responsibility.
    I have not even carried yet, but I have that same attitude already.
    Mitch Rapp is my hero (reference to the Vince Flynn novels)

RIP Vince! Going to miss your novels! :(

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Excellent!

Be Safe!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    Well my holster came (crossbreed, I love it) and took the wife for Pizza Friday night. All the usual things, feels like gun is falling off, sticking out, everyone can see. Sitting at the Pizza joint wife says you should have worn your gun. Answer I did. I realized that nobody notices. The other thing and the most interesting was that the "John Wayne, I can handle anything" feeling was not there. Instead it was, as best I can describe a "reverence" for the privilege and responsibility I now had because I was carrying a lethal weapon. I never expected, but am grateful for that change that happend once it was real. I learned really quick with a weapon comes a huge responsibility. I thought I knew what to expect. I hope and pray I never ever need it.
    Well said and I concur. First time I cc'd I had the same feeling and have it still anytime I step out armed.

...and now whenever I can't carry I feel naked...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    Congrats on your first carry being a non-event. Carrying a weapon does give a different mind set. I can remember before I started carrying, I would stand around and watch all the excitement when somethimg started. Now I just want to get away from it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Everything is as it should be... nothing to see here!

Most everyone with a lick of sense feels the same way about their carrying... for some it happens sooner rather than later. I'm glad it came to you quickly...

Funny thing is, what with all the sane carrying folks out there de-escalating problems... maybe all the problems will eventually all go away? Nah, probably not... but the crime rate is dropping... and a lot of folk attribute it to an armed society being a polite one. There just might be something to that!

Congratulations on an event free "maiden voyage!" I hope they all go as well for you!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Welcome to the club, be safe and be armed
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Congratulations on the new-found responsibility. Yes, there are lots of questions that a person needs to come to grips with, and a bit of understanding one needs to have of the pros/cons and responsibility involved.

Anytime. Anywhere.

Keep your wits about you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Like Peter Parker's Uncle said, "with great power, comes great responsibility" except we don't play the superhero or shoot webs.
    Springfield Armory Sub Compact 9mm in a Crossbreed Supertuck

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    Congratulations!!! Your perspective is very mature and is greatly appreciated by everyone here. Your continued reading and contributing to this forum will build on your already solid foundation. I'm proud to be your co-member on DC. To strengthen your base, research case law in your state regarding use of lethal force (justified and not). The State Police or Attorney General's office can point you in the right direction. This helped me immensly.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Great post, should be required reading for anyone looking to carry.

I carry all day every day and have for a long time. Since the first day I wore a gun I haven't looked at any situation the same as when I didn't. A gun has the potential to change EVERYTHING (in every possible sense), carrying one is not a responsibility to be taken lightly.

Great post, thank you for sharing! Although I've had my permits for a couple of months, (living in Illinois) my first CC will be next week. I look forward to sharing my first experience also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links