Arkansas definition of concealed

This is a discussion on Arkansas definition of concealed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While waiting on my license to be processed I again went back over the Arkansas law on carry permits. I have always been curious how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas definition of concealed

Arkansas definition of concealed

While waiting on my license to be processed I again went back over the Arkansas law on carry permits. I have always been curious how the definition of 'concealed' was interpreted. Rule 1.2 (h) 'Concealed'- "means to cover from observation so as to prevent public view."I asked the chief deputy of our county sheriff's department what that meant to him and specifically what if someone was 'printing' through their clothing. He said locally law enforcement would not get excitement just because some one was 'printing'. To me it means that I purposely do not try to show my firearm and I guess some common sense plays a role in that I would not try to conceal an IWB firearm with a tucked Under Armour spandex white form fitting shirt. But I cannot see where 'printing' would be a problem at least around where I live. My plan is to conceal as best as possible, but I am not as overly concerned as I once was.
    What say you more experienced carry guys/gals?
    Mitch Rapp is my hero (reference to the Vince Flynn novels)

RIP Vince! Going to miss your novels! :(

2. Remove Ads

I try to conceal as well as possible. Are many people observant or would they notice, probably not, but I don't want the one person who does notice and gets hysterical and starts to scream "guys got a gun" or does something else to draw attention to me, to cause me trouble that could be avoided by doing a better job of concealing my weapon.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Location, Location, Location...

I don't worry about printing here in VA...I work VERY HARD not to, but since OC is permissible, if I slip, I'm not too worried...

I lived (and had a permit to CC) in Texas...we were taught in the class, and I've seen others post on this forum, that in Texas, if you print, you violate the law since OC is prohibited...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    Location, Location, Location...

I don't worry about printing here in VA...I work VERY HARD not to, but since OC is permissible, if I slip, I'm not too worried...

I lived (and had a permit to CC) in Texas...we were taught in the class, and I've seen others post on this forum, that in Texas, if you print, you violate the law since OC is prohibited...
    I will inquire further, but I don't think that is the case here.
    Mitch Rapp is my hero (reference to the Vince Flynn novels)

RIP Vince! Going to miss your novels! :(

I carry as concealed as I can... I prefer no one know I am carrying. I limit my choices of concealment to enabling one handed draw. I use a tuckable holster and tuck and/or wear a cover garment. Permitted, O.C. is legal, though frowned upon in Iowa.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

There is the legal or practical/hassle free reason for concealment and then there is the tactical reason. How well you try to conceal will be determined on how you view those reasons.

Senior Moderator
    What say you more experienced carry guys/gals?
    Not really an issue around here.

Cover it from plain view and call it good.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Not an issue in SC.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

GM
    No printing law in FL, but I always make sure that I do not print.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

In VA we can OC with/without permit. Can conceal with a permit. This means "if" we print, no big deal legally, however I always try to conceal best I can. If someone at a glance thinks you have nothing more than a cell phone under your shirt on your belt, I'd say you've concealed it good enough.
    If they glance and what they see draws even more of their attention because it caught their eye, then you are obviously printing more than "I" would be comfortable with.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by mattdillon View Post
    While waiting on my license to be processed I again went back over the Arkansas law on carry permits. I have always been curious how the definition of 'concealed' was interpreted. Rule 1.2 (h) 'Concealed'- "means to cover from observation so as to prevent public view."I asked the chief deputy of our county sheriff's department what that meant to him and specifically what if someone was 'printing' through their clothing. He said locally law enforcement would not get excitement just because some one was 'printing'. To me it means that I purposely do not try to show my firearm and I guess some common sense plays a role in that I would not try to conceal an IWB firearm with a tucked Under Armour spandex white form fitting shirt. But I cannot see where 'printing' would be a problem at least around where I live. My plan is to conceal as best as possible, but I am not as overly concerned as I once was.
    What say you more experienced carry guys/gals
    ?
    I guess I would have to ask the following: If you are committed to concealed carry for the purpose of protecting yourself and your loved ones, then why wouldn't you try to be as good at concealment as possible? Why wouldn't you dedicate yourself to doing your best NOT to print? Why wouldn't you do your best to follow the law in your locality? Why would anyone have such an apathetic attitude toward not worrying if they were concealed or not? Just sayin.......
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In FL, concealed weapons must be concealed "from ordinary view."

In all my lifetime, living in many places, not once have I ever heard anyone start screaming, "Oh my God, he's got a gun!" because someone's concealed firearm (or OC where legal) was detected. That means either no one was carrying (not likely) or no one noticed (likely) or no one cared (also likely). Lumps are lumps. The vast majority of people aren't looking that closely.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't worry about it here in FL anymore...sometimes there may be a slight bump...so be it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I don't worry about it too much. Try to be as concealed as possible but things happen sometimes.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I guess I would have to ask the following: If you are committed to concealed carry for the purpose of protecting yourself and your loved ones, then why wouldn't you try to be as good at concealment as possible? Why wouldn't you dedicate yourself to doing your best NOT to print? Why wouldn't you do your best to follow the law in your locality? Why would anyone have such an apathetic attitude toward not worrying if they were concealed or not? Just sayin.......
    I guess I would have to ask the following: What reason, other than laws in a few jurisdictions that prohibit letting it be seen, does one have for worrying about whether it is fully concealed or not? Why should a person have to worry about it? I fail to see how the fact that a person looking might perceive the gun as in any way interfering with the reasons one might have for carrying one.

I conceal, but I am in no way anal about it. If my cover shirt should be windblown or ride up as I go about my business, or if a close observer could make out that there is an object on my belt that looks like a gun (especially in a place where it is perfectly legal to wear no cover at all), I don't see it as a tragedy or that it in any way impairs it's effectiveness in protecting me or my family.

It seems to me it is a matter of personal preference that reflects neither well nor poorly on the armed individual.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links