CCW and Scoliosis - Anybody out there with both?

This is a discussion on CCW and Scoliosis - Anybody out there with both? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife was diagnosed with scoliosis as as child, went through a lot getting it straightened out (literally), and is now mostly fine except for ...

Thread: CCW and Scoliosis - Anybody out there with both?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

My wife was diagnosed with scoliosis as as child, went through a lot getting it straightened out (literally), and is now mostly fine except for the occassional tight back muscles. Her spine is still not perfectly straight, but it doesn't interfere at all with her range of motion or daily life.

However, now that she's started to CC on-body, she's been experiencing back pain and considerable discomfort while wearing her gun. She carries a Walther PPS 9mm in a snug-fitting OWB leather holster from High Noon Holsters. The whole setup is pretty lightweight compared to my USPC, but she can't wear it for more than a few hours at a time before it gets too uncomfortable.

Is there anyone here with scoliosis who CC's on a regular basis? Any tips about how and where to carry?

I've been considering a SOB holster for her. Is this out of the question or would it possibly distribute the weight more evenly?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

One thing that may help would be a good gun belt with internal stiffener. That will help distribute the weight around the waist better.

It's not scoliosis, but I do have other back issues that prevent me from comfortably wearing an IWB, or a heavier (1911, etc) OWB...what I have found is I tolerate appendix carry much better. I am currently working with one of the other members here (who makes holsters) on fabbing up a crossdraw for me (being a lefty, my selections are limited)....it might be something to try in addition to the stiffer belt suggested above.
    If I knew I'd live this long, I would've taken better care of myself!

Smart Carry or other appendix carry might be an option... Does she carry a purse? does she carry opposite the purse or same side?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I have this (had as a child) and while my two brothers had to have their spines partially fused, I was more active (swimming, surfing, tennis etc.) and the faster spinal growth stopped before it became an issue.

I also have a weak lower back (too much steak and not enough exercise... ) but I am working on fixing that.

Anyway, I have both IWB and OWB dep. on the CCW at that time and it can get uncomfortable. Some of that I attribute to my leather holsters still breaking in a bit but I have found that around 4:00-4:30 SS for the holster and 7:30-8:00 WS for the mags work the best with my XD9sc. My MK9 Elite rides in a custom IWB/OWB pancake SS with the mag in front and it doesn't bother me at all at 4:00-4:30.

I love my TT Gunleather gear and the double layer TT gun belt works much better at supporting the gear than my cheaper 511 stiffened gun belts.

I would therefore suggest a high quality gun belt and leather holster as they make the carry almost effortless.

As a side note and FWIW, I don't understand those that say "it is so comfortable that I forget I am wearing it" as that sounds a bit irresponsible to me. When I am armed, I NEVER forget that fact. Comfort is important but forgetting? I don't think so.

Here are some shots of my carry gear.

Now where did I put my glasses...?

Thanks for the suggestions. She does carry a purse, usually on her weak side, opposite the gun. She hasn't tried appendix carry - might be an option.

quikduk - thanks for the suggestions. A good stiff belt is definitely on the "buy" list. I've been very happy with my BeltMan double bullhide, and he offers one with an integral plastic stiffener for extra support. I notice your XD carry gear looks very balanced - gun and holster at 4:00 and double mags at 8:00, and I would estimate that the two mags weigh approximately as much as the gun. Do you think this is helpful or not a factor comfort-wise?

You can put me in the "I've forgetten I'm wearing it" camp. One time I was late for an early meeting at work and forgot to disarm before going inside. Luckily it was winter and I still had my jacket on, but I didn't realize I had forgotten until my elbow happened to bump the slide through my jacket - talk about an "oh crap!" moment! Thankfully, nobody noticed, and I went back out to my truck right after the meeting. For me, it's kind of like sitting on my wallet - yeah, I can feel it, but I'm so used to it being there, it's easy to "forget it's there" until I need it.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

The XD/holster combo is a bit more than the dbl mags/leather combo but the effect is that I am more evenly distributed weight wise (wallet on weak side too...but no money as wife and kids took it earlier...).

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    dont u just hate it when that happens
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I just found out that I have scoliosis. It doesn't bother me too much and I carry IWB everyday.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I posted some advice on back pain and CCW on another forum a little while ago, so here goes again,in a nutshell. I hope this helps.

I have my entire lumbar spine fused (L1-S1) from two back operations and I am left with a lot of pain. What works for me ( and I have tried most everything ) is IWB appendix carry. The gun is easily accessible with no twisty gyrations to get to it.

And the best holster hands down: Dale Fricke ArchAngel. After a lot of "I really don't need another holster", I finally broke down a couple of weeks ago and got me one, and I am just amazed with the comfort.

Oh, and I would like to add this. I have found that thin, single layer nylon belts work best. I have some beautiful leather gun belts that I can not wear due to discomfort from their excessive stiffness.

Bob The Great, in your wife's case, I would not recommend small of back as this might make things worse. But definitely give a thin belt with appendix IWB a try.
    Last edited by brizbane; September 2nd, 2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    .... I notice your XD carry gear looks very balanced - gun and holster at 4:00 and double mags at 8:00, and I would estimate that the two mags weigh approximately as much as the gun. Do you think this is helpful or not a factor comfort-wise?
    I don't know about quikduk but I have found that a double mag carrier on the offside helps alot. My back will start to hurt after 5-6 hours with a 5" 1911 at 3:00 when I'm not carrying my mag pouch but my back will last alot longer when I am. YMMV

I agree with most of the posts here and their options. I've found that a good stiff gun belt and good holster go a long ways. I do have some back problems and from time to time my back will go out to the point i can barely walk. For those times I keep a smart carry style holster around(and times when I'm not wearing pants). It to me is the least back problem inducing holster style and I think it's because the weight is in the front, and it distributes it rather evenly with elastic. It's not my chosen carry method in most cases but it does get some use when my back is giving me trouble. To give an example it gives me less pain with a PT145(10+1 45ACP), than an LCP in my pocket. Maybe it's just me, but it's something to look into for those times when you just can't put on a traditional holster.

Take care:)

Luke

Thanks for the suggestions, all. We'll look into getting her a smartcarry, a mag holster to wear offside, and a stiff gunbelt, and see how that works. She spends a lot of time sitting during the day (as do I unfortunately), so an appendix holster might be a bit uncomfortable in its own right. I'll keep it in the list though.

Having a bunch of back issues that make carrying weight unevenly a problem, I'd second the recommendation to first try a *really* good belt. Getting a stiff belt made most of my carry discomfort go away.

The other suggestion I'd make is that holsters like the Comp-tac MTAC and the Crossbreed Supertuck can go a long way toward solving the problem as well. Those holsters have a big contact patch with your body, which means that a lot of the load is carried by that contact and not by hanging it off your belt.

Links