Need help from Arizona residents!

This is a discussion on Need help from Arizona residents! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I just found out great news! Arizona issues CCW permits to my state (Virginia) at age 18! do not have to wait till 21. ...

Thread: Need help from Arizona residents!

Exclamation Need help from Arizona residents!

Hello, I just found out great news! Arizona issues CCW permits to my state (Virginia) at age 18! do not have to wait till 21. Now my question is, They said I needed a NRA handgun safty, does it need to be NRA offical or just any CCW class taught by a certified instructor?
    Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and glorious, and fight for your friends, your families, and your homes! Nehemiah 4:14

2. Remove Ads

It just needs to be on their approved list...

One thing you might want to be aware of is the following from handgunlaw.us...

Nonresidents may apply for a permit upon completion of the initial 8 hour class. Training must take place in Arizona.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

Also...a non-res permit from another state is not valid in the state where you live...
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

JD
    Administrator
    And I'm pretty darn sure you still have to be 21 to carry concealed in VA, just because a permit may be honored, you still have to follow VA law.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    It just needs to be on their approved list...

One thing you might want to be aware of is the following from handgunlaw.us...

Also...a non-res permit from another state is not valid in the state where you live...
    He lives in VA and VA recognizes non-res permits issued to non-residents of that state...ok that sounds really confusing....there is no requirement in VA for a nonresident permit holder to be a resident of that state where the permit is issued.

JD
    Administrator
    18.2-308

P. A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, and (ii) except for the age of the permit or license holder and the type of weapon authorized to be carried, the requirements and qualifications of that state's law are adequate to prevent possession of a permit or license by persons who would be denied a permit in the Commonwealth under this section. The Superintendent of State Police shall (a) in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General determine whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of this section, (b) maintain a registry of such states on the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN), and (c) make the registry available to law-enforcement officers for investigative purposes. The Superintendent of the State Police, in consultation with the Attorney General, may also enter into agreements for reciprocal recognition with any state qualifying for recognition under this subsection.
    Sorry Macks, but you have to be 21 to carry concealed in VA.

Virginia honors Arizona CCW

but I see the catch

Training must take place in
    Arizona.
    Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and glorious, and fight for your friends, your families, and your homes! Nehemiah 4:14

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by macks View Post

Virginia honors Arizona CCW

but I see the catch

Training must take place in
    Arizona.
    Read the bold/underlined below
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    18.2-308
    P. A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, and (ii) except for the age of the permit or license holder and the type of weapon authorized to be carried, the requirements and qualifications of that state's law are adequate to prevent possession of a permit or license by persons who would be denied a permit in the Commonwealth under this section. The Superintendent of State Police shall (a) in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General determine whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of this section, (b) maintain a registry of such states on the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN), and (c) make the registry available to law-enforcement officers for investigative purposes. The Superintendent of the State Police, in consultation with the Attorney General, may also enter into agreements for reciprocal recognition with any state qualifying for recognition under this subsection.

Sorry Macks, but you have to be 21 to carry concealed in VA.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    And I'm pretty darn sure you still have to be 21 to carry concealed in VA, just because a permit may be honored, you still have to follow VA law.

He lives in VA and VA recognizes non-res permits issued to non-residents of that state...ok that sounds really confusing....there is no requirement in VA for a nonresident permit holder to be a resident of that state where the permit is issued.
    However, do they recognize another state's non-res permit for residents of VA? I could be wrong, but I don't believe any state recognizes non res permits from another state for people resident in that state (like a AZ non res permit for a VA resident in VA)...
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

wow unfair lol

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Yeah reciprocity means that they honor the permit, but you still have to follow VA law. Where did you get your info on AZ permits at 18? They won't issue a res permit until 21...
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Darn few states will issue to those under 21 unless in a LEO, or security capacity... So, move to a state that will, and become a cop, or an armed secuity guard... those states that will issue such permits for security guards, usually only let them carry on the job. Most police departments won't hire without some college. Most police departments have psych exams... someone under 21 wanting to get around the laws in their state by using another states issue permit, probably won't pass such a test...

just sayin'
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What this country needs is a Federal CWP, good in all fifty. But can you imagine the red tape?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    However, do they recognize another state's non-res permit for residents of VA? I could be wrong, but I don't believe any state recognizes non res permits from another state for people resident in that state (like a AZ non res permit for a VA resident in VA)...
    Unless there is a law against it, it's legal. There is no mention in the VA code regarding such criteria that a VA resident can only carry with a VA permit. Some states have such language in their code, others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What this country needs is a Federal CWP, good in all fifty. But can you imagine the red tape?
    Seeing daily how the federal government can muck even the simplest of things up I want no federal intrusion upon concealed carry.

At one time I did support the idea of a national CCW. Now, as I've gotten older and seen more, as well as receiving a paycheck from Uncle Sugar, I want as little federal involvement in my daily life as possible. Could you imagine someone like Nancy Pelosi writing a concealed weapons bill, and the restrictions it would have?

Biker

JD
    Administrator
    As the OP can not carry concealed in VA until the age of 21, this thread is closed. There are multiple threads on the forum regarding Fed. CCW etc.

Links