Penn State CC

Penn State CC

This is a discussion on Penn State CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading that some universities forbid concealed carry on their campuses. Is that for registered students only? I am planning to make a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penn State CC

Penn State CC

I have been reading that some universities forbid concealed carry on their campuses. Is that for registered students only? I am planning to make a trip to Penn State, my alma mater, and would like to carry if it is legal. Let me know what you all think. Thanks ahead of time for all your replies!

It is almost certainly illegal. Check the state laws, but I can't imagine otherwise.

The school may have a rule against students cc but it is not against state law.So if you are visiting just cc.Go to pafoa and search for carry at PSU.There are a few threads about it.

I DO remember reading carry of a firearm is prohibited. QUOTE from the PSU Schuylkill website and the same policy is on the Harrisburg site as well. I couldnt find the policies for the other campuses but would imagine they are the same? Thankfully my friends who go to PSU live OFF campus.

University policy prohibits the use, possession, or carrying of firearms while on University-owned or controlled property or at University sponsored or supervised activities. Likewise, keeping a firearm in any locker or storage area of any building of the University is prohibited. Firearms shall not be kept in any vehicle on Penn State Schuylkill property. Students having personally owned firearms may safely store them with Police Services.

Violators of this policy will face disciplinary action via the University discipline system. In certain circumstances (e.g. carrying a loaded firearm concealed in a motor vehicle without a valid concealed firearms permit, possession of an enumerated firearm under the Federal Crime Bill, etc.) such possession may subject the student to criminal prosecution under Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or federal statutes. Any weapon found in violation will be seized and will be returned to the student under proper court order.

Procedure for Storing

Students wishing to store their firearms at Police Services are encouraged to call 570-385-6144. Firearms will be kept in a secure Gun Safe in the patrol office.

To reduce delays, especially during evenings or weekends, please CALL IN ADVANCE when either CHECKING IN OR OUT A FIREARM. A written receipt will be provided. Students must personally appear to retrieve their stored firearm. Student identification and one confirming identification document will be required to store and check out a weapon.

All firearms brought to Police Services MUST BE UNLOADED and, if in a gun case, UNLOCKED. All firearms are subject to inspection prior to storage to determine whether or not they are loaded or unloaded. Firearms (long guns and handguns) will be stored in a separate locker. Ammunition will be stored separately.

In addition to firearms, the use, possession or carrying of explosives, fireworks, bows and arrows, slingshots, knives or other dangerous weapons while on University-owned or controlled property or at University-sponsored or supervised activities is prohibited.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

It depends on your state. In Colorado and Missouri, you'd be fine. However, the University can have a rule that it enforces on employees and students, even if it isn't against the law. This appears to be the case at Penn State. I saw nothing in the PA codes on www.handgunlaw.us that mentioned colleges being off-limits. I think you can safely expect to be bounced off the campus if you're caught.

None of us will be on the hook. Research the answer yourself.

My alma mater as well fellow Lion.

http://guru.psu.edu/policies/sy12.html

You're prohibited from carrying on university property ( unless you're taking it to the campus police station ). Guns, knives, bows, death rays and nunchucks are also prohibited.

If you stay on the other side of College Ave ( south side of the street ) you're fine ...

Quote Originally Posted by KSCarry View Post
    It is almost certainly illegal. Check the state laws, but I can't imagine otherwise.
    It's not even illegal in Kansas anymore, unless they have the official gun buster sign from the KS Attorney General on the building you're entering. None of the previously enumerated off-limits places are legally enforceable anymore unless posted with the official signage. This all changed with the passage of KS HB2528.

Check out www.handgunlaw.us for more info or look it up on the KS A.G. web site.
    Here it is from the AG site: http://www.ksag.org/files/Posting_of...or_Website.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Chirpy72 View Post
    My alma mater as well fellow Lion.

http://guru.psu.edu/policies/sy12.html

You're prohibited from carrying on university property ( unless you're taking it to the campus police station ). Guns, knives, bows, death rays and nunchucks are also prohibited.

If you stay on the other side of College Ave ( south side of the street ) you're fine ...
    The point is that it is simply against school rules, not against the law. He would be in violation of no law. Just like in a store, or other location, they could ask him to leave. That's about it.

I go to Penn State, and looked into the issue. Illegal to carry on campus, illegal to have a weapon in your car also.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkincin View Post
    I go to Penn State, and looked into the issue. Illegal to carry on campus, illegal to have a weapon in your car also.
    I'll grant you it's against school policy. I'll grant you they'd probably expell you as a student or fire you as an employee. However, there is no LAW that I can find. Do you have a reference for this law you refer to?

same kinda situation at my Uni. state law does not forbid carry at universities, but forbids carry in places where the owner says carry is now allowed...university has such a policy so there ban has the force of law.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Title 18 912 Possession of weapon on school property.
    (a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing
    instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife,
    cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or
    implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.
    (b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the
    buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or
    secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by
    the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school
    While school policy prohibits it, state law does not.

Laws will vary from state to state. Here in Virginia the only college that is specifically prohibited by statute is VCU/MCV.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

@mountain packer- yes, but every school is posted. Haven't found one that is not. I should know...Through work I've been to the majority of institutions of higher learning in the state.

If it's posted by the university then posession of firearms is a misdemeanor.
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...inal-trespass/
    I believe you would be referenced as a "defiant tresspasser" ... section ( b ).

"SOME" universities? Are you kidding? Try 98% of them. Their prohibitions of firearms are for anyone / everyone, students, faculty, staff, parents, visitors, vendors, etc., everyone except criminals of course.

I've never understood why criminals always get a pass on that pesky "No Guns" rule ... maybe someone can 'splain that to me someday. [/sarcasm]
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links