Utah Non-Resident Concealed Carry Course covers 32 States

This is a discussion on Utah Non-Resident Concealed Carry Course covers 32 States within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was searching for some information on why there is no reciprocity between Texas and West Virginia. Well I didn't find out why, but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Utah Non-Resident Concealed Carry Course covers 32 States

Utah Non-Resident Concealed Carry Course covers 32 States

I was searching for some information on why there is no reciprocity between Texas and West Virginia. Well I didn't find out why, but I ran across Utahs Concealed Carry Course for non residents, It cover 32 states and Utah has offered its concealed-carry permit to nonresidents since the mid-1990s. the link below covers classes,cost,contact information if anybody is interested.

http://www.windedbowhunter.com/resou...rmit%E2%80%8F/

2. Remove Ads

Be careful

Some states will not honor non resident permits if the holder is not a resident of the issuing state. For example, Florida will not honor my Utah non-resident permit because I don't live in Utah. I had to get a Florida non resident permit.

I was searching for some information on why there is no reciprocity between Texas and West Virginia.
    If you're specifically looking to gain reciprocity with Texas, the easiest way would be a Florida or Utah license by mail. Or you could travel to Texas, take the Texas class, and get a Texas Non-Resident license.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    If you're specifically looking to gain reciprocity with Texas, the easiest way would be a Florida or Utah license by mail. Or you could travel to Texas, take the Texas class, and get a Texas Non-Resident license.
    FL is much less hassle...to allow your RKBA
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm not sure, but it may have something to do with training. West Virginia only requires basic handgun safety and use training such as the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course, and Texas requires concealed carry specific training that covers self-defense laws. I haven't looked at them all, but many other states that Texas recognizes also require concealed carry specific training.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I don't understand how they work out their reciprocity agreements. For many years I remember states that had some sort of basic training requirement did not have reciprocity with PA and I assume it was because of the lack of training in PA. In PA you walk into the Sheriff's office with your DL, application and a check for $25 and they call you a week later when your background check was complete for you to pu your license. And here we are 15 years later and the requirements haven't changed - yet PA has reciprocity with about 24 states including states like VA and FL that require a basic training class and fingerprints which PA does not.

rson63 - try these sites if you have not already. I would got to the state's website as well (usually the attorney general page) and print the reciprocity agreement for my records. I carry a copy with me of the state I am visiting.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Be careful about Utah.

I believe Texas will soon remove Utah from its list of reciprocal states. Utah has recently lowered its standards or requirements for getting a CHL from their state. If I was going to get a permit from a state to allow me to carry in Texas I would look to Florida, or get a Texas non resident permit.

Utah's plan to make it easy for someone to get a permit to carry is going to cost their permit holders in the long run. States that have very low requirements for training or such end up having few states that reciprocate with them.

BTW, for a Texas non resident permit you have to come to Texas, since the course must be taught in our state.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    I was searching for some information on why there is no reciprocity between Texas and West Virginia. Well I didn't find out why, but I ran across Utahs Concealed Carry Course for non residents, It cover 32 states and Utah has offered its concealed-carry permit to nonresidents since the mid-1990s. the link below covers classes,cost,contact information if anybody is interested.

http://www.windedbowhunter.com/resou...rmit%E2%80%8F/
    From http://www.handgunlaw.us

“Florida will only honor permits from residents of the states they honor. They will not honor a Non-Resident permit from any state they honor.”
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I know there are a lot of people that will foam at the mouth about this... but wouldn't it be really nice if we had a national license to carry? All these various laws and who honors what and how you can carry this there and not here but you can there on the third Thursday in an even numbered year but the second Thursday in an odd numbered year and only if you have a dog named "Spot" rules are really annoying.

..and the federal law that backs up the right to carry and makes it illegal for a state or any other governmental agency to attempt to further restrict...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Be careful about Utah.

Utah's plan to make it easy for someone to get a permit to carry is going to cost their permit holders in the long run. States that have very low requirements for training or such end up having few states that reciprocate with them.
    We (READ: Me ) are not too concerned with where our permit is or will be valid, we are more concerned with making Constitutional Carry in Utah a reality, and loosening regulation within our own State first. Legislation will be introduced in January that is similar to Alaska / Arizona carry.

There are also rumors that if we do pass permit-less carry, then a "live fire" training option may become available as an "endorsement" to our concealed firearm permit. That way states like Nevada and New Mexico might reconsider their decisions.

But anyone that thinks that Utah is going to take a step backwards, before taking 5 steps forward, is sorely mistaken. We didn't get a "perfect zero" on our Brady scorecard by passing more restrictions.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

I was looking at Texas Non Resident permit Because I live in the pan handle of Wv and I can be in Md,Va,Pa in a matter of 20-30 minutes to each. I grew up in Maryland and is the only state that I can't carry into from Wv. The Texas NRP sounds like it would take care of me wondering in an out of Md. ? Thanks for all the help/links

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    I know there are a lot of people that will foam at the mouth about this... but wouldn't it be really nice if we had a national license to carry? All these various laws and who honors what and how you can carry this there and not here but you can there on the third Thursday in an even numbered year but the second Thursday in an odd numbered year and only if you have a dog named "Spot" rules are really annoying.

The problem with a "Federal Carry" permit scheme is that the federal government isn't known for making things easy, cheap, or effective. I'm a fan of mandated reciprocity, but a federally issued permit would not be good.

..and the federal law that backs up the right to carry and makes it illegal for a state or any other governmental agency to attempt to further restrict...
    With the federal government, it would be the other way around. It would be illegal for any state to make things easier. So, if the Federal guidelines were 200 hours of training with a 90% of 4000 rounds in the 10 ring, no state could make it more lenient. I wouldn't be surprised if there were background checks akin to getting a security clearance, calls to family, full background check, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    The Texas NRP sounds like it would take care of me wondering in an out of Md. ?
    Nope, Maryland does NOT honor any out-of-state CHLs.

The Texas non-resident CHL would do you no good carrying in Maryland... With Maryland's CHL, you can carry in Texas, but not the other way around.

VA doesn't require any actual training at all. You can take an online class and print out a certificate that says you watched a video and passed a 20 question test. Take the certificate to the courts with your application and money. A few weeks later you have your license. Its also up to each county on whether or not they fingerprint you. There is no set standard for the state.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

Michigan only honors out of state permits if your a resident of that state.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links