Defensive Carry banner

Oregon - What's the problem with reciprocity??

2K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  FastDraw 
#1 ·
Someone tell me why Oregon doesn't honor other states permits? :confused::confused:

I would love to visit Oregon.. (AND SPEND MONEY!!!) ..... but my CO resident permit, and my UT non-resident permit doesn't work in Oregon.

#2 ·
Out of idle curiosity I'd like to know as well.

If you are resident of a state that touches Oregon you can apply for an Oregon permit. According to OR law, you must show a 'compelling need', and county sheriff's may then issue you one. I'm making a long drive in two weeks to do so.

#5 ·
Well, I hope no other States honor theirs! That way they can't travel and feel protected either!

#6 ·
Well...14 states do recognize our permits...but 12 of those accept all states' permits.

Unfortunately, a large portion of our population is in the NE corner of the state and part of the Seattle to Portland liberal enclave.

The rest of us do what we can to overcome the libs up north, but have been unable thus far to get this particular facet of our laws made right. We do have OC everywhere but in the Portland area that is accepted quite easily.

You can believe me when I say that every permit holder that I know supports full recognition...so why do you wish us ill?

#15 ·
Northeast...I guess I thought the "corner" would give it away.

#21 ·
1) California touches our state so some of the stupid will wear off on us.
2) Our goverenor is a dickless liberal as well as his 4 predessors.
3) Interstate 5 runs from Seattle to San Diego making it easy for the gelding pansies and bulldykes who live on the west coast to move between their bases of operation and Portland, OR is one of them. Go east of I5 about an hour and you hit common sense and people with intestinal fortitude.

I live in the northWEST part of the state and have the urge to shoot myself in the face if I watch the local news.
Many things about Oregon run contrary to intelligent thinking. Did you know that it is illegal in Oregon to pump your own gas? Yep, that's right, if you need gasoline in Oregon some numbnutz making minimum wage has to put it in your tank. That's because our government is smarter than you and there aint a dang thing you can do about it.

#22 ·
Woa, tell us how you really feel. . .

#27 ·
Too many anti gunners in Oregon, more specifically, the Portland area. I'm surprised this state is even a shall issue state. But if you are a resident with a permit, it's not that bad as to where you can carry and the rules. You can also open carry in the city's that have banned open carry with a permit.

There are many more than two cities in Oregon that ban open carry, I would suggest looking it up on opencarry.org for more info.

#29 ·
OR will need to do one of 3 three things to avoid a potential lawsuit:1) Make open carry legal throughout the state(no grandfathered bans) 2) Reciprocity 3) Make the non-res permit available to anyone regardless of proximity to OR.

#32 ·
Well-they don't call Oregon part of the "Left" Coast for no reason!! (Born, raised and formally educated in Oregon). Just be aware that in the really "politcally correct" I-5 corridor (Beaverton, Portlnad, Salem), that your weapon must be unloaded and you CANNOT have in your vehicle even a loaded magazine or speed-loaders...... which makes you even more defensless.

#33 ·
Just be aware that in the really "politcally correct" I-5 corridor (Beaverton, Portlnad, Salem), that your weapon must be unloaded and you CANNOT have in your vehicle even a loaded magazine or speed-loaders......
State preemption excludes CHL holders though, correct? From what I understand, CHL holders are protected from pretty much all of the insane prohibitions passed at Portland's behest.

#34 ·
State preemption excludes CHL holders though, correct? From what I understand, CHL holders are protected from pretty much all of the insane prohibitions passed at Portland's behest.
Yes-that is correct, which is fine if you have an Oregon CHL; but the whole point of this thread is that for example, myself: I had an Oregon CHL back in the mid-70's. Now I live in Montana, so when we go back to visit family, my MT CCP doesn't do me any good, I must go unarmed and unprotected (with my SA very high I might add). Not a situation that I am very happy with.......

#35 ·
I'm hoping that nationwide reciprocity comes back in a reasonable form. I'm fortunate enough to have an Oregon nonresident CHL, but my girlfriend has family in Northern California. So, when we go to visit them, I have to leave my firearm at home. We usually drive it straight through. So, we drive East to West through Washington, through Western Oregon, and into California. Most of this ends up being at night, we're stopping at convenience stores, rest stops, and other 'high risk' places.

It's almost enough to join the "2nd amendment is my concealed carry permit" crowd for that trip.

#36 ·
Really sad about Oregon......... I remember about 25 years or so ago touring along the OR coast....... (I may have had a gun in the car.... don't really recall:wink:)...... The coast is beautiful but I wont be back until OR grants full rights to gun owners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.