Attention Ohioans

This is a discussion on Attention Ohioans within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have asked BabyHulk if i May Post this information and gladly said yes. This excerp will be long but it asks questions and get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention Ohioans

Attention Ohioans

I have asked BabyHulk if i May Post this information and gladly said yes. This excerp will be long but it asks questions and get answers for you Ohioans, Native Ohioans and Travelers through the state within the Next Year! So Here it is it will be in several Posts Broken up by Each Persons question then Response I hope i Have all of it.
    Last edited by MrMrsPage; June 27th, 2006 at 09:27 PM.
    BU3 USN ACTIVE DUTY "WE BUILD WE FIGHT"

2. Remove Ads

My Original Question

Originally Posted by MrMrsPage
    I try to read up on all laws it is tough to keep up! I am from Central, Ohio and am traveling home in July i was wondering what the plain sight thing is. I have a florida CCWP, Florida State ID, Ohio's Driver's license, and a Military ID enough to drive me crazy and give the officer a fun time of sorting out and explaining. I was wondering if you could give me an idea of what you mean by this so I can prevent this issue if it were to arrise. Florida is a reciprocating state with Ohio. Thanks for any of your help

Supreme Court has not made Decision

Thank you for the info I am Active Navy as most know by know, i have so far as gone to find the house bill 347 for ohio to find out who is making the push for the amendment i also called the state highway patrol and asked them about plain sight, they read the law to me and stated carrying it on my hip in a holster is considred plain sight on person, i neglected to write the LEO's name down however i will call tomorrow and get the information again and take the name down and use that as proof if i have to speak to and LEO. I however and traveling on thursday to go there and wednesday coming back i hope it will be smooth sailing. I shouldn't have to give up a right to bear arms, because Idiot legislature in Ohio wrote a Law that way, too many people overlooked this issue and now the house is on break so we probably won't get an answer until November and then probably not even then why would let brew up a controversial issue right before election. I am going to try and do my part and call the representative for my home of record and where my father lives and see if i may be able to get active progressive record of what is happening and why it is taking so long. Larry Wolpert is his name and he is a co-sponsor of the bill, you can search for this information online by looking up Ohio HB 347
    and see if your rep is for it, it will say whether they sponsor or co-sponsor the bill some don't do either, those are the ones who need to be shaken'!!!
    Thanks again for your help, hopefully this may inform you a little aswell, i would imagine if an LEO gives me Law abiding information that he must be held accountable if repurcussions come about. Thank you, Best Wishes with the Future of CCWP.
    ~Chuck
    Last edited by MrMrsPage; June 28th, 2006 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Deleted Information due to controversy

This is where I made calls

I talked to a representative from the representatives office I hate Middle Men, however he informed me that Larry Wolpert the actual rep said that he hs absolutely no doubt that following the november election that they will be passage to that bill however until then they really can justify what is plain sight he read me the new manual from the Ohio AG's Office and it has thie direct quote" The Supreme Court has Not clearly Defined the Limitations of what PLAIN SIGHT IS" so in saying that the Law was reread to me he said as long as it is in a holster on person as long as it is not shielded whille driving that it may be carried on your holster just tuck shirt behind it is you have to deal with LEO. Further clarification is going to come hopefully before the year is up, as for right now the Ohio Attorney General's office in Columbus has 2 point's of contact you should be able to speak to them to find out whether or not tey are bothering prosecution due to impending trials of current legislation that does NOT STATE WHAT IT NEEDS TO. Those number are Doug Crew 614.995.0328, and Kelly Nomina 614.995.0326. I hope this Help with your permission i would like to copy this whole post so that other Ohioans can get this information or if you wanted to post it you have my permission to post my words. Again Best wishes!! Chuck

Final Post of Permission Given By BabyHulk, Thank You

Chuck,

By all means, please copy this post where you see fit. Thanks once again for 'going the extra mile' and getting down to the matter at hand.
    Take care!
    Eric

"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." - Matt. 10:16

Let me know if you have any questions i may be able to refer you to some answers or whom to call to find out if your local rep is on our side or not !

Quote Originally Posted by MrMrsPage
    Transported in a LOCKED mini-gunsafe of carrier works.

Or, unloaded on passenger side seat with slide open. My CCW instructor said that you could fasten your holster onto the torso part of the seat belt strap. Others on this forum have criticized this advice, so I don't know how reliable it is.

I honestly don't car carry 'cause I hate this part of the law , but there is progress in the state house to amend this part of the law. I guess essentially, if you happen to be stopped by Staties, the weapon has to be 'in plain sight' when the officer approaches your vehicle.

I put my loaded hanguns in my hatchback when I make the 30 minute commute to the local range.

!
    Wow! Tons of misinformation here that will get someone busted.

The 3 proper ways in Ohio to transport your "firearm" would be...,holstered on the persons person, locked in a glove box, or in a lockable container, in plain sight. No specifics on what a lockable container would be, but does not have to be a "mini gunsafe".

"Unloaded on passenger seat with slide open" is NOT a proper way to transport your firearm when you have a CHL. Where's your magazine at??? I sure as hope it's in the trunk!

I would really like to know who your CCW instructor was who gave SO much incorrect information to his students. You CAN NOT attached your holster to your seatbelt and be within the guidelines of our law. Again, it must be holstered on a persons person!

"I put my loaded (yes, you said loaded) handguns in my hatchback when I make the 30 minute commute...," Honey, you are SO looking to lose your CHL, aren't you? I don't know what the specific charge would be, but that is illegally transporting your firearm!!! You have got to get yourself in the proper mindset of either having a CHL or not. If you're choosing to merely transport your firearm (such as when you are going hunting) vs CCW'ing that day, you still have to have your firearm in a separate area of the car and your ammo in another, where you have to actually get out of the car to retrieve one or the other.

Might I suggest a great book to read by Ken Hanson, "The Ohio Guide to Firearm Laws". http://www.ohiogunlawguide.com/
    Last edited by Linda; June 27th, 2006 at 11:42 PM.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

I thought he said he had a Florida CCW so he would be OK to carry in his vehicle as long as he abides by our states' laws.
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Al.40cal
    I thought he said he had a Florida CCW so he would be OK to carry in his vehicle as long as he abides by our states' laws.
    Do you mean, abiding by FL's laws, while in Ohio, instead of Ohio's, because you have a FL CHL?

Sorry, it doesen't work that way...

When in Ohio, one must abide Ohio's many city and state laws.

Anything less, is likely to get you into a lot of trouble.

(I posted some tips on Ohio carry here)

Good info there, Linda.
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

In Plain Sight

I think people are getting carried away baby hulk stated he wasn't a lawyer The Law says Carried in holster on persons person "IN PLAIN SIGHT" (the part that was missed)correct however the plain sight thing!!!!!!! "THE SUPREME COURT HAS NOT I REPEAT HAS NOT STATED WHAT PLAIN SIGHT IS" direct quote from Representative Larry Wolpert's Office Ohio District 23 IF YOU SPEAK TO THE OHIO ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE THAT IS THE BEST BET, NO OTHER AUTHORITY HERE NOR THERE IS GREATER FOR OHIO'S LAWS AND HB 347. Please read carefully i asked a question he responded i call my local representative for Ohio because i am a Legal Resident of Ohio and a Temporary resident of Florida I have a Florida CCWP, i still abide by Ohio's Laws however if you make the necesarry leg work by calling the Ohio AG's Office you will find out the facts. This Law WILL be amended immediately following Elections in November! Call your Local rep then let me know if i misled anybody! There is publication about current proceedings in HB 347 which is in dispute do to the PLAIN SIGHT LAW! I will post that information when i get it in the mail it is FREE, what could be better something Free so you can remain free!
    Last edited by MrMrsPage; June 28th, 2006 at 02:19 AM.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Linda

The 3 proper ways in Ohio to transport your "firearm" would be...,holstered on the persons person, locked in a glove box, or in a lockable container, in plain sight. No specifics on what a lockable container would be, but does not have to be a "mini gunsafe".

"Unloaded on passenger seat with slide open" is NOT a proper way to transport your firearm when you have a CHL. Where's your magazine at??? I sure as hope it's in the trunk!

I would really like to know who your CCW instructor was who gave SO much incorrect information to his students. You CAN NOT attached your holster to your seatbelt and be within the guidelines of our law. Again, it must be holstered on a persons person!

"I put my loaded (yes, you said loaded) handguns in my hatchback when I make the 30 minute commute...," Honey, you are SO looking to lose your CHL, aren't you? I don't know what the specific charge would be, but that is illegally transporting your firearm!!! You have got to get yourself in the proper mindset of either having a CHL or not. If you're choosing to merely transport your firearm (such as when you are going hunting) vs CCW'ing that day, you still have to have your firearm in a separate area of the car and your ammo in another, where you have to actually get out of the car to retrieve one or the other.

Might I suggest a great book to read by Ken Hanson, "The Ohio Guide to Firearm Laws". http://www.ohiogunlawguide.com/
    This post was deleted due to people overlooking the facts and controversy, Thank you and sorry for any confusion!

HERE IS THE PLAIN SIGHT PART IN DISPUTE Directly post from the NRA website:
    Ohio House Bill 347 Update!

Friday, January 06, 2006

The House Criminal Justice Committee will be holding a hearing for proponent testimony on House Bill 347 introduced by Representative Jim Aslanides (R-94). This legislative proposal addresses several problems associated with the enactment of House Bill 12, "Right-to-Carry" legislation, that became law in 2004. This proposal will streamline an already successful law, bringing clarity for Ohioans and law enforcement alike.

This important piece of legislation will do the following: create a clear definition of "plain sight" in a motor vehicle; allow for off-duty law enforcement officers may carry a concealed firearm 24 hours a day 7 days a week (a.k.a. 24/7 provision); create statewide preemption for the regulation of firearms and ammunition therefore avoiding the current patchwork of laws currently in Ohio; and further prohibit journalists from abusing the open records' law.

The hearing is scheduled for January 10, at 2:30 p.m., in Room 121 of the State House.

Find your representative here and call them to get info on HB 347
    http://www.house.state.oh.us/jsps/Representatives.jsp

Here we go the AG Website's info:
    http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...0040319-72.pdf that is the Law!
    Now to the topic of Discussion Plain Sight, Left for Interpretation by Everyone from Civilians, to LEO's, all the way to the US Supreme Court!
    ***************This Most Recent Revission to date Publication you can view it at this site above************** Please read the Supreme court Part as I stated!
    Transporting in Motor Vehicles
    The transportation of loaded, concealed handguns in motor
    vehicles is permitted, but strict obligations are imposed by the law
    to protect yourself and law enforcement. These obligations apply
    to drivers and occupants. These obligations do not apply if you are
    not transporting a loaded, concealed handgun inside the vehicle.
    You may not have a loaded handgun in the vehicle if you are under
    the influence of drugs or alcohol. You may not transport a loaded,
    concealed handgun in a vehicle unless it is carried in one of the
    three following ways:
    ■ In a holster on your person that is in plain sight. So far, the
    Ohio Supreme Court has not defined the term “plain sight”
    precisely in the context of carrying a concealed handgun.
    However, in other contexts, courts have generally held that
    the term “plain sight” is a common sense term that means
    clearly visible or unobstructed.
    ■ In a closed, locked glove compartment; or
    ■ In a case that is in plain sight and that is locked.

Valuable Information here too: http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...arry/index.asp
    http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...ry/request.asp get your copy free of publication here
    http://www.ag.state.oh.us/ this is the Ohio AG's Home Page
    Last edited by MrMrsPage; June 28th, 2006 at 02:43 AM.

I deleted this post it was too controversial & Improperly quoted!!!

misquoted Statement!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links