CC While Skiing/Boarding( Yea have to include you losers to)

This is a discussion on CC While Skiing/Boarding( Yea have to include you losers to) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by INccwchris ... except for bears and moosen and the like Nothing more dangerous than a hibernating bear in a den 10 feet ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: CC While Skiing/Boarding( Yea have to include you losers to)

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    ... except for bears and moosen and the like
    Nothing more dangerous than a hibernating bear in a den 10 feet under the snow! Moose? Ski fast....you can't reasonably carry anything big enough to take one down. Not trying to bash you Chris....just gave me a chuckle.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ya know - this is one where I ('talkin about just me here) wouldn't carry.

I occasionally ski the envelope and have had some pretty violent yard-sales where there would have been no possible safe place to carry where it wouldn't have been surgically inserted into my anatomy.

Now THAT would be the ultimate concealed carry...er...rig.

I haven't addressed this yet but I was thinking that a small holster with a thumb break could be stowed in my Camelback backpack too. I have fallen hard too and the backpack (water, smooshed sandwhiches etc.) tend to add some cushion to my back, even with my spinal protector in place. I think I might be able to stash my MK9 in there amongst the PB&J...

UGH!

jon
    I made a thread like this last season, I eventually went with leaving my EDC locked in a car safe, and having Mace on my person.
    I guess spray and "point" would be my defensive strategy on the mountain.
    That and dodge you two-plankers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    No. Some events in life dont require concealed carry. Skiing is one of them.
    While I agree this may be true what about the security issue connected w/ leaving your weapon unattended in your car while skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by jon View Post
    I made a thread like this last season, I eventually went with leaving my EDC locked in a car safe, and having Mace on my person.
    I guess spray and "point" would be my defensive strategy on the mountain.
    That and dodge you two-plankers.
    Other way around! You snowboarding.......NOOB!!!!!
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Distinguished Member
    I think we have a business opportunity here for some brave soul - invent a padded ski-board carry method.

I skied yesterday and did not carry (H2O). Of course my holster went back on with my shorts after drying off.

Will be giving more thought to this as the season is right around the corner! I would think a camel back type device with a hard plastic stiffner against the body side, then lined inside could work. Or some type of ankle device with a hard plastic side against the body. If we put men on the moon we can surely figure out a safe carry method for skiing!!

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I figure it's better than starting a new one. Went skiing last weekend and left the gun behind. After falling on my locker key and getting a serious bruise, I realized there's probably no good way to carry while skiing at all, and it's probably not worth the effort given the likely risks, as has been mentioned. That said, in the two years since this was originally posted, have any new carry methods been devised for use during skiing? The CamelBak seems like a good start, if the bladder is between you and the gun it should prevent any injuries from falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Just remembered... SmartCarry
    That's just as bad as thunderwear. Seriously, I could never wear that and don’t advise anyone to try it. First off, I already have a huge God given bulge down there....add a baby Glock to it and people will start wondering what's going on!
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    This is the one place where a Fanny pack would not be out of place. That's how I carry a camera. I teach skiing and snowboarding, so I also carry a small tool kit in there. Al tho I have never done it a small gun could easily fit. DR

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    This is the one place where a Fanny pack would not be out of place
    Perhaps in front, wouldn't think of putting it in back given how I tend to fall (while trying to stop or turn too hard).

My coat has a pocket between the outer snaps and the zipper. It is a nice big pocket and my 238 inside its Remora would fit great in there.
    I also always wear a Camelbak but trying to get to that wouldn't be exactly quick.
    I have a bellyband and JUST got a Smartcarry so I may give each of those a try too.

I'm not hardcore so I'm usually not going fast when I fall. I can't see that it would either fly out or stab me, but I could be proven wrong...

Small tight fanny pack in the small of the back? I've seen some really cool ones just for a full size gun and a mag....was in my old Favorites list.

Have the same problem when riding....if I get bucked off, what wont I land on? Works out best - above hip (in curve....I'm a lady) or small of back.

Actually, have the same problem with cell phone. Dont want to keep it on saddle/in saddle bags because if horse gets away, then....no phone, no gun.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

What about on the beach? Where do you conceal it when you're languishing in the sun, on your beach blanket, or strolling amongst the lovelies in your speedo? I personally use the gun bag (AKA fanny pack) in that instance, but don't leave the blanket unattended (and the speedo don't leave the house). LOL
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I have carried a 1911 in a shoulder holster. It bounces a bit when skiing, but isn't too bad. I also carried it on a belt OWB on regular street pants under my ski pants. I did the same with my Walther PPS. I didn't notice the pistol OWB at all.

Neither method is particularly accessible. My answer to not falling is...don't fall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links