First run-in with an anti while open carrying

This is a discussion on First run-in with an anti while open carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On a serious note, she didn't sound like the complete ignorant normal anti. Maybe it turned a light on seeing someone with a handgun that ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First run-in with an anti while open carrying

On a serious note, she didn't sound like the complete ignorant normal anti. Maybe it turned a light on seeing someone with a handgun that was acting completely normal with it.

2. Remove Ads

Your account of what happened was precise and you stated the events appropriately. You did well in handeling the situation the way that you did.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday
    On a serious note, she didn't sound like the complete ignorant normal anti. Maybe it turned a light on seeing someone with a handgun that was acting completely normal with it.
    I don't see her that way. Did you see that she STARTED OUT by asking for a business card? If one has a benign agenda, they'd only ask that after they'd talked with the person. Instead, she asked up front, indicating that she had an agenda. My thought is that she had already made up her mind before she asked, and she wanted a business card so she could either write his employer to complain, or drop a note to the newspaper about Mr. John Smith who works for XYZ Corp ... you get the drift.
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

VIP Member
    Excellent job mzmtg!

I think many of us might have said some defensive and/or wise (but understandable) comment.

I might have asked her for her business card.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

BigJon I would have to agree, it was her way of saying, can I get a copy of your drivers license? You can't turn an anti's "light" on in that short of an instance. You could save an anti from a serious altercation, with your weapon, and they'd say thanks, why you carrying a gun, are you a cop?
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i think you handled it real well. Often times you can think of a million responses that you would have liked to say, but us good guys need to show a good front, and we aren't labels gun nut freaks,etc....put your lib phrase here.
    If she ever has the unfortunate occassion of running into a BG that wants to do harm, I hope you or another one of us good guys are there to show her why we carry. People learn best by example!
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Couldn't resist.

Great responses, all. But like Big John, I couldn't resist adding my .02:

"Why are you carrying that weapon in here?"

"Because I get quicker response from 1911 than 911."
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

You know, I'm starting to have one of those increasingly rare light bulbs go off in my head. It's this thread, and more specifically the mindset of our subject grocery-store do-gooder, that prompted it.

You know what occurs to me is in the mind of folks like this? Know what it is that I'm now thinking prompts folks to act that way?

Self absorption.

Think about it. The antis hold their opinion, but the opinion is logically wrong. Actually, it's completely NON-logical becuase it's not arrived at by analyzing any any facts AT ALL!

Now, why would they do that? Why? Well, first, maybe they lack the mental CAPACITY to recognize accurate facts and apply logic to them. Most of the anti types I know, though, seem to be pretty intelligent people - I mean that they can do long-division, and at least argue a political point (although, again without worrying whether the information they plug into the equation is correct or not). So, if they're not dumb, what's the reason?

Because they it makes them feel good.

I think this can trace its roots back to the '60s, when WWII-age parents gave their kids everything, and as a result, the kids grew up without a sense of who they really were, in an individual or a national sense. As a result, they moved from one cause to the next, supporting some and decrying others but always in the most vehement way, and found identity in a "feel good" herd mentality. Those folks and their poisoned progeny are still with us today, are equally intellectually challenged, and equally unequiped to meet that challenge.

And so, in the context of this thread, I think I have arrived at a better approach than the one I've used before (at least better for me), and that is to try to be pleasant, offer a response if it appears that the person is genuinely interested in learning something, and if not, just saying "excuse me," and walking away.

Because the fact is that these people could learn on their own what they don't already understand, but they have CHOSEN NOT TO. If someone wants to really learn, then sure, I'll talk to them all day long. But if they are like the lady in the original post who has an agenda, and wants to come after me over an issue she has not even bothered to take the time to learn the facts about, there's really no reason for me to waste my time on her.

Thanks to all here for keeping me thinking!

Jon
    Last edited by BigJon; June 28th, 2006 at 10:39 AM.

VIP Member
    You know, the question about the business card got me to thinking. Maybe we should carry business cards. Office Depot sells card stock that is perferated to print business cards on. We could go any direction we wanted to on that. Those of us who have a sharp tongue and wicked sense of humor might make one that says: Have Gun, Will Travel. But really we could put any information on that we wanted to.

How about:

George Washburn, NRA, USCCA
    Personal Responsibility & Self-Protection Advocate
    Second Amendment & Law Enforcement Supporter
    Licensed in 36 States and Certified by FBI Background Check
    http://www.combatcarry.com

You could put your own logo or some other graphic on it or you could put anything else on there that expresses your reasons for carrying. I may try something like that this week.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Well, George, you may just have something there. My next thought following your great idea that whatever is on the card should absolutely NOT be a smart-ass saying. We have enough folks who laugh at people carrying a "Concealed-Carry" badge. The information you suggested would be of a much better nature. Nothing to laugh at, and might also make the reader think. But if they are incapable of independent though, it does us no harm (again, no smart-ass remarks).

Good idea.

Yep ... good idea....

Jon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon
    Well, George, you may just have something there. My next thought following your great idea that whatever is on the card should absolutely NOT be a smart-ass saying. We have enough folks who laugh at people carrying a "Concealed-Carry" badge. The information you suggested would be of a much better nature. Nothing to laugh at, and might also make the reader think. But if they are incapable of independent though, it does us no harm (again, no smart-ass remarks).

Good idea.

Yep ... good idea....

Jon
    Jon, I'll try to make some and bring them when we get together in July. Send me a PM with what you want on yours and I'll make up some for you to.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

1943 - 2009

Business Cards

Good idea, George. I made up my own cards to carry around. Superimposed over an image of a Colt Government Model pistol is my name, below that is "Armed Citizen".

Lower left corner is NRA Member
    Montana CWP Holder
    US Army Veteran

On the reverse is my land line and cell phone numbers and e-mail address.

I'm extremely selective about who I give them to.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    Good idea, George. I made up my own cards to carry around. Superimposed over an image of a Colt Government Model pistol is my name, below that is "Armed Citizen".

Lower left corner is NRA Member
    Montana CWP Holder
    US Army Veteran

On the reverse is my land line and cell phone numbers and e-mail address.

I'm extremely selective about who I give them to.
    Terry, I never open carry so I will be selective who I give it to as well. There are always people who for one reason or another ask about firearms. I make no secret of the fact that I like firearms and like shooting so occasionally I will get a question. Of course the question is from a sheeplem, so I think the card will express concisely why I like firearms and shooting and the reason behind my having them. At the same time it will not call attention to the fact that I have one (or more) on me at moment.
    George

Looks good. Now here's an alternative tack for such a card:

"Thank you for your interest. To learn more about the United States Constitution, the rights it protects for ALL citizens, and most importantly how to exercise your right as a responsible, law-abiding American to protect and defend yourself and those you love, please visit www.combatcarry.com."
    No name, no contact information. My thinking is that if they truly want to learn, that tells them where to look. If they have a different agenda, I am not going to give them any ammo.

To the Moderators: If you guys would print up some very basic cards - no logos, no American flags, NOTHING but what's printed above, and then offer them for sale here, I will be your first paying customer.

Best,
    Jon
    Last edited by BigJon; June 28th, 2006 at 01:11 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    Might be worth exploring Jon - see what feedback others put in.

In fact it should not be too hard for most people to print up such on a card.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links