First run-in with an anti while open carrying - Page 3

First run-in with an anti while open carrying

This is a discussion on First run-in with an anti while open carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That sounds like a great idea, Just my .02, I think I would put my signature from below on the back. I think that case ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First run-in with an anti while open carrying

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    That sounds like a great idea,

Just my .02,

I think I would put my signature from below on the back. I think that case says a lot about people's need to be able to protect themselves.

I don't know if I would want my name or contact info printed on it. Maybe write it on their for those trusted few.

Probably put something about the 2Admin on the front. I think the back would show my interpituation of the R2BA and it's relevance to today.

Just my .02

I like the other ideas too, and am sure some more worthwile one are on the way.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    It may be a good idea to have two sets of cards. One for strangers and one for people you know. I live in a town of 4000 people where ever I go in town if there are two people there one of them knows me. It iis hard to meet a stranger here, but it does happen occasionally. The no contact info card would be for the strangers. But since open carry is not legal in Alabama except on your own property it seems at least unlikely that any stranger will be asking about firearms. It could happen and so one might create 2 or 3 no contact info cards for every 15 or 20 of the ones for people who know you. The idea of leaving space to write in the contact info if you desired to is worth pursuing. It would eliminate the necessity of having 2 different cards. I'm still pondering the whole idea and the suggestions. I'll see what happens as I mull it over a bit more.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

So does this mean that I need to carry a primary card AND a BUC? :) Calgon! Take me away!!!! :))))))
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout
    So does this mean that I need to carry a primary card AND a BUC? :) Calgon! Take me away!!!! :))))))
    Yep! And separate card holders for each!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    Yep! And separate card holders for each!
    I bet that one of our excellent leather craftsmen could make those for you in fine leather. Give Gary, Eric, Kevin, Mark, Matt, or Rob a call and see what a little custom work like that would run. They could probably make them out of scrap leather and since there is not much boning required to fit a business card they could probably get them to you in a couple of weeks. Be sure to tell us who you ordered from and to include pictures when they come in.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Ok, Gary, are you out there? Gonna start making custom leather card holders for us?

I'm thinking of one that looks like a wallet and fits in my back pocke... uhhh.... nevermind... :)
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Great idea. I think I'll get working on one right now.

Because 99% of crime fighting that the police do is taking reports and trying to track the criminal down after the crime, and not before.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Johns' idea makes a lot of sense; I would be uncomfortable giving personal contact information out to someone such as the lady in the store. You won’t change her mind but you might light the spark of knowledge.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son
    I don't know if I would want my name or contact info printed on it.
    I would not want anything but the message, for these reasons:

First, why detract from the precise message? Second, why give them somthing written that can change hands over and over, and will tell whoever receives it that you own guns and what your name and address are?

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout
    So does this mean that I need to carry a primary card AND a BUC?
    A "BUC"! ROF!!!! GOOD ONE!!!!!!!!

Then, I guess it'd be smart to have the cards say the same things so that their messages are immediately interchangeable in a stressful situation.

Also, you'd want the card wallets to be identical so that you don't have to learn and practice two different systems for retrieving and delivering them.

And finally, of PRIMARY importance would be finding a proper mount to attach a SureFire to the cards in case the need arises to explain yourself at night or in a low-light environment. Pee Wee Herman might have some suggestions.

A "back-up card". I'm crackin' up.
    Last edited by BigJon; June 28th, 2006 at 06:53 PM.
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Administrative Ban Array Red Stick's Avatar
    I've always carried personal "business" type cards. No job related stuff on it. Just personal info such as name, address, phone numbers and email address. Why? Ever met an old buddy or someone who you wanted to give your phone number or email to? There you are trying to find a pen and something to scribble your info on before your buddy runs off. With a card you simply pull it from your wallet and hand it over telling him, "call me later about that, here's my card." Of course, there are those little fishbowls next to the cash registers at some resturants. Drop your card in and you are entered for a drawing for a free lunch.
    Personal info cards have lots of uses.

I now use a line I saw somewhere on this site a little while ago.

"Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?"...

"Because violence doesn't happen to someone else somewhere else. It happens to everyday people doing everyday things in everyday places. I just happen to be an everyday person normally in an everyday place."

Good job handling the situation the way you did. Quick, concise, and to the point without any slashing.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon
    I don't see her that way. Did you see that she STARTED OUT by asking for a business card? If one has a benign agenda, they'd only ask that after they'd talked with the person. Instead, she asked up front, indicating that she had an agenda. My thought is that she had already made up her mind before she asked, and she wanted a business card so she could either write his employer to complain, or drop a note to the newspaper about Mr. John Smith who works for XYZ Corp ... you get the drift.

I see your point, but at the same time she wasn't screaming about him having a gun, she was just upset over it. Perhaps realizing that it's nothing to be upset over could change a mind. I'm not usually optimistic, but maybe I am this time.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday
    I see your point, but at the same time she wasn't screaming about him having a gun, she was just upset over it. Perhaps realizing that it's nothing to be upset over could change a mind. I'm not usually optimistic, but maybe I am this time.
    Not necessarily! Being "optimistic" (hoping for the best) is a great way to be! As I said, if we can help folks understand our rights, which are also their rights, and how and why to responsibly exercise them, then we all win. I think that what it comes down to is this: no one can say for sure what was really on the woman's mind; every situation is different, so we have to go with our best judgement based on what we observe.

My general approach after reading the posts is that if someone approaches me with what appears to me to be a sincere search for knowledge, then I'll hang in there with 'em all day. However, if they approach me in an antagonistic way, and if after discourse commences I see that they are NOT willing to listen (have a pre-set agenda that they are not willing to re-examine), then I'll bid them a pleasant "Good Day" and be on about my business.

In most situations, I won't reply in a way that makes an enemy. I say "most situations" because I am imperfect, and I know that if someone is possessed of that single compound on earth that REALLY gets me mad (rudeness, which is a combination of ignorance and arrogance), then I'll bring 'em on down a peg. Why? Because its good for me, good for them and ...

... okay, I'll admit it: it's just fun to someone who really, really needs it! lol!

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Business card???

"Do you have a business card?" Why? are you need of some life insurance? Do you need to diversify your portfolio? What did the business card question have to do with your legal right to carry a firearm in the grocery store? She was reaching, trying to intimidate you! What would she have done if you had handed her one of your business cards?

"Do you have a permit for that weapn" Actually I do, but, it's none of your business!!! And for your information, here in Kentucky, no permit is needed to excercise my state constitutional right to carry a firearm openly! Do you have a permit for that steak knife that you just picked up in the kitchen ware isle??

"Why do you think you need that thing" Actually ma'am, I was just in the personal hygiene isle and I'm glad you asked that question. Much like the condoms that I have in my basket, I'd rather have one and not need it, then not have one and need it!!!
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links