Concealed Weapons in National Parks

This is a discussion on Concealed Weapons in National Parks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hate that we are restricted from carrying in National parks. I\'m not too concerned about the wildlife being a problem, with a little knowledge ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Weapons in National Parks

I hate that we are restricted from carrying in National parks. I\'m not too concerned about the wildlife being a problem, with a little knowledge and common sense you can avoid conflicts with them. It\'s the two legged predators that are more of a problem.
    Hopefully someday we can fix this problem.

2. Remove Ads

I am not advocating carrying in National Parks however....

I AM curious about what the penalty is for doing so. I have never been able to find out just what it is.

Does anyone know of a government link that states the penalty for carrying in a National Park???

DC Founder
    Originally posted by logistar
    I am not advocating carrying in National Parks however....

I AM curious about what the penalty is for doing so. I have never been able to find out just what it is.

Does anyone know of a government link that states the penalty for carrying in a National Park???
    Hmmm, good question I would assume that it would be the same as acrrying in a federal building but not sure what that would be either. Anyone have any answers?

1943 - 2009
    Here\'s a link to NPS weapons regulations:

http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/e-mail/weapons.htm

This particular document doesn\'t address penalties, tho. I\'ll continue searching & will post anything I find.

1943 - 2009
    Well, I haven\'t found much on penalties so far. I did find one case where a guy was convicted of possessing a shotgun in a National Park and was fined $100.00.

The answer can be found somewhere in Title 36, Code Of Federal Regulations. I\'ll keep looking.

FYI, this is from the NRA/ILA web site:

Generally, firearms are prohibited in national parks. If you are transporting firearms, you must notify the ranger or gate attendant on your arrival, and your firearm must be rendered inoperable before you enter the park. The National Park Service defines inoperable to mean unloaded, cased, broken down if possible, and out of sight. Individuals in possession of an operable firearm in a national park are subject to arrest. Rules in various state park systems vary, so always inquire first.

1943 - 2009

Search update

I found this link:

http://www.ourcivilrights.org/36cfr.htm

Scroll to the section \"Will A Violation Affect My Gun Rights?\"

Also note this is not \"official.\"

Be careful. Theses federal bureaucrats have their own set of rules and are not above making them up as go.

Thanks for the help Captain Crunch! I never thought about the buildings being Federal Buildings! Interesting.

I have looked around but could never see where the exact penalties for being caught with a firearm in a National Park (or similar) would be.

- and you are right MTRAPPER, they DO seem to make up their own laws as they go along. I have seen this more than once.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I live near Harpers Ferry National Historic Park in WV. The Park Service owns a lot of land around here, and it is in many cases impossible to tell when you\'re on Park property and when you\'re not. Since I have a WV CCW, I don\'t really worry about it. Concealed means concealed.

VIP Member
    Last year, the local news station reported multiple rapes in a park in Nashville. The aggravating thing was that they did not name the park. I recognized the park that the reporter was standing in, and it is one I like to frequent.

No, no, you can\'t carry a gun here. Just spread your legs, lady, and then you can go about your merry way.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Betty

No, no, you can\'t carry a gun here. Just spread your legs, lady, and then you can go about your merry way.
    Right before Betty stuck a knife in his gizzard. Or elsewhere :kay:

1943 - 2009

CCW In National Parks Update

After many hours of Internet searching, the best that I can determine is that carrying a concealed weapon on land administered by the U.S. National Park Service is a misdemeanor, punishable by a $100.00 fine.

I can't find any info on whether the weapon is subject to forfeiture upon conviction.

Depending on individual state laws, a Federal conviction for this offense may or may not result in revocation of a CWP.

Senior Moderator
    We have a federal constitution that protects our right to carry and federal laws that prohibit the right to carry. That\'s just not right is it!

1943 - 2009
    Originally posted by Tangle
    We have a federal constitution that protects our right to carry and federal laws that prohibit the right to carry. That\'s just not right is it!
    The 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution gives us the right to bear arms. It doesn\'t say anything carrying arms. As you point out, there are federal laws that prohibit the right to carry. I agree there\'s a contradiction in that, but it\'s important to keep in mind the difference between the Bill of Rights and federal laws enacted by Congress.

The original thread on this topic was about CCW in National Parks. Some members were wondering about the penalty for this under federal law.

To bear a load is to carry it. Maybe if you were to enter the park witha military style rifle at sling arms, that might meet muster.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links