Traveling to Missouri; are there many 'No Gun' signs?

This is a discussion on Traveling to Missouri; are there many 'No Gun' signs? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. Anyone know if Missouri has many 'No Gun' signs posted on businesses within their major cities or towns? Thanks! -Droopy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Missouri; are there many 'No Gun' signs?

Smile Traveling to Missouri; are there many 'No Gun' signs?

Hi all. Anyone know if Missouri has many 'No Gun' signs posted on businesses within their major cities or towns?

Thanks!

-Droopy

2. Remove Ads

Not a lot.

More in St. Louis and Kansas City, but not even that many there. A few banks, for the most part. Maybe a few big malls.

Which general area are you concerned about?

If you have a concealed permit then signs don't matter here.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Quote Originally Posted by carryon View Post
    If you have a concealed permit then signs don't matter here.
    Thanks Dogzilla. We're not sure exactly where in MO we will travel yet.

Thanks Carryon, but http://www.handgunlaw.us says that we cannot carry on "Private Property with 11X14 sign with one inch letters." Are they incorrect about this?

-Droopy

It's not a violation to carry in signed businesses, but they can ask you to leave if they notice you, which is really true for anything. It's only illegal to not leave when they ask.

edit: What I meant by my post is that any business can ask you to leave at any time for any reason, and if you don't it's trespassing.

Quote Originally Posted by dogzilla View Post
    It's not a violation to carry in signed businesses, but they can ask you to leave if they notice you, which is really true for anything. It's only illegal to not leave when they ask.

edit: What I meant by my post is that any business can ask you to leave at any time for any reason, and if you don't it's trespassing.
    Cool stuff: MO seems like my kind of state!

Enjoy your visit.

We do of course have the normal restrictions inside Federal buildings, etc. but if you're just talking private restaurants and businesses MO is fairly gun friendly, particularly to CC. A little less for OC.

VIP Member
    This state statue pretty much covers where you cannot carry. http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000107.HTM
    Also you cannot carry on a city bus or metro-link train.

Missouri is an open carry state except any city town or village can prohibit open carry. Open carry is not legal in St. Louis or Kansas city.
    Printing a little while carrying concealed is not going to get you arrested here. Where there are signs posted on private property, the most that can happen is that you might get asked to leave.
    Enjoy your trip!

Edit: In St. Louis and around KC, Some supermarkets are posted, most of the major theme parks are posted. I don't remember if the Zoo is posted. The St. Louis Arch is Federal. You can carry on the grounds but not in the arch, the underground museum or the parking structure.
    Last edited by SIGP250; September 3rd, 2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Add Posted.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Thanks guys!

-Droopy

Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    Thanks Dogzilla. We're not sure exactly where in MO we will travel yet.

Thanks Carryon, but http://www.handgunlaw.us says that we cannot carry on "Private Property with 11X14 sign with one inch letters." Are they incorrect about this?

-Droopy
    Make sure you read the very last paragraph of this link. Those 17 places it says you can't carry do not apply to CCW permit holders. If the establishment owner notices you are carrying (somehow?) then they can ask you and your dollars to leave. That's it, no criminal charges unless you (once again, somehow?) refuse to leave. Enjoy your stay in our VERY CC friendly state. I love it here.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

MJK
    I live close to StL city limits and commute downtown daily. In my opinion there are not that many signs...of the ones posted not many meet state standards so they are easily overlooked. If you carry into one of these signed premises and are discovered, the proprietor can ask you to leave. If you comply then all is well. If you choose to stay then the proprietor has the right to call the police. If LE arrives and you're still pushing it, then you can be charged with a misdemeanor. I believe the fine is $100.

DO NOT carry on the public transit system if you visit St. Louis. Missouri has a quirk in it's law that would have you charged with a felony if you're caught. Personally, I avoid public transportation for this reason.

FYI...you may carry in your vehicle without a CCW permit AND Missouri has the castle doctrine.

So come on over and have some fun. Carry wherever you can and be safe.

Thanks again guys. We are now planning to travel to Cape Girardeau, St. Geneveve, and then on to St. Louis. (We will be VERY cautious not to cross the river into the non-free state of Illinois).
    We were going to go to Kansas City, but since it is split in half between Kansas and Missouri, and Kansas does not recognize my Mississippi carry permit, that is now a definite no-go!

-Droopy

I've only seen 4 places here with signs, 2 of which turned out to be federal facilities. I've been carrying for over 3 years here in MO and no one besides a couple of my friends have noticed (they actively look to see if I am, it's a game we play). I live in what some people call rural. I am 2 hours from any city with 100,000 people or more. To me, the only rural part of Missouri is inside the Mark Twain Nat'l Forest. Come her, carry here, and enjoy our hospitality and love of freedom.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    Thanks again guys. We are now planning to travel to Cape Girardeau, St. Geneveve, and then on to St. Louis. (We will be VERY cautious not to cross the river into the non-free state of Illinois).
    We were going to go to Kansas City, but since it is split in half between Kansas and Missouri, and Kansas does not recognize my Mississippi carry permit, that is now a definite no-go!

-Droopy
    St. Louis is split between Missouri and Illinois just like Kansas City is between Missouri and Kansas. It's pretty obvious when you're headed into East St. Louis, though.

There's this giant river in the way and it looks like you're driving on to the set of the movie, Trespass.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    St. Louis is split between Missouri and Illinois just like Kansas City is between Missouri and Kansas. It's pretty obvious when you're headed into East St. Louis, though.

There's this giant river in the way and it looks like you're driving on to the set of the movie, Trespass.
    St. Louis is not split across the Mississippi river. St. Louis is entirely in Missouri. East St. Louis, Illinois is not a part of St. Louis and never was. It is actually fairly easy to get in the wrong lane on the expressways especially during rush hour with no way to exit before crossing the river into Illinois. You will not necessarily be in East St. Louis depending on what bridge you cross but you will be in Illinois. If you do happen to end up in East St. Louis, roll up the windows, lock the doors and do not stop to ask for directions. East St. Louis is not a tourist destination.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links