Conceal FAIL LEO encounter

This is a discussion on Conceal FAIL LEO encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A co-worker told me today he was in Richmond, VA this weekend with a .380 (holstered in a small thin pocket holster) in his back ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conceal FAIL LEO encounter

Conceal FAIL LEO encounter

A co-worker told me today he was in Richmond, VA this weekend with a .380 (holstered in a small thin pocket holster) in his back pocket (reminded me of the recent thread of the guy shooting himself in the butt) and was in a convenience store when a LEO approached and told him that in VA you could either OC or CC (with permit) but if you CC none of the gun could be showing. Apparently, the grip was sticking above the pocket just a tad. He said he wasn't about to argue with him and just pushed it down a tad and went on his way. I told him if you OC without a permit, it has to be in common observance, but with a CHP there was no requirement to conceal or any reference to the degree of concealment. The officer never asked to see his permit (not a notify state) and didn't make a fuss about it. What would you guys have done in this situation?

I probably would have said, "that's fine, but not accurate" and played the conversation by ear from there, staying low key and cool about it.
    Last edited by BugDude; September 3rd, 2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: holster clarification added
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    A co-worker told me today he was in Richmond, VA this weekend with a .380 in his back pocket (reminded me of the recent thread of the guy shooting himself in the butt) and was in a convenience store when a LEO approached and told him that in VA you could either OC or CC (with permit) but if you CC none of the gun could be showing. Apparently, the grip was sticking above the pocket just a tad. He said he wasn't about to argue with him and just pushed it down a tad and went on his way. I told him if you OC without a permit, it has to be in common observance, but with a CHP there was no requirement to conceal or any reference to the degree of concealment. The officer never asked to see his permit (not a notify state) and didn't make a fuss about it. What would you guys have done in this situation?

I probably would have said, "that's fine, but not accurate" and played the conversation by ear from there, staying low key and cool about it.
    IMHO I would have Pick another pocket in heinsight,but I would have gone with the flow... and have been on my way..If not asked for my CPL/CHL...

Glad that went well, and there seem to be no foul....I would call it a Good encounter.
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

I'd thank the LEO, correct/adjust as necessary, and move on discreetly about my business.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    What would you guys have done in this situation?

Book mark this post because you are not going to believe I said this

I would have said thanks for the heads up officer, then shoved the pistol down in my pocket and went about my business.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself "Is this the hill I want to die on?"

I'll say this. And it really doesn't matter where you live, or the written laws. There's always going to be gray areas, or quoted text up to interpretation. That's just the reality of it all since we are constantly suppressed with an ongoing legal ordeal that's subject to change at any time without our knowledge. Things have gotten out of hand the way I see it. Federal, state, local, etc...... How far we've come from the foundation of our country as a whole. Something so simple and laid out in simple terms (2nd amendment). Our nation.....indivisible....built on a solid foundation....is now...to this day questioned, harassed, defiled, and shaken based upon principles that didn't exist when we were born out of tyranny by our own right and the bloodshed of our brothers. The laws and the rights these days will just tear you to bits no matter who you are or where you come from. Take any paper money denomination from your billfold right now and look for the 'in God we trust' on the bill. Used to be fact...now....it should read 'in man we trust'. That's what it's become, and we've let it take it's course. Only we can help ourselves now, since obviously our nation has no values any more.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself "Is this the hill I want to die on?"
    Exactly. He was already foolish enough to carry his gun around in his hip pocket. After leaving the store he should have bought himself a holster and called it a day.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    or maybe he had it in a pocket holster in his hip pocket.................
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Exactly. He was already foolish enough to carry his gun around in his hip pocket. After leaving the store he should have bought himself a holster and called it a day.
    It was actually in a small thin holster, but the grip was showing...should have clarified that in the original post.

Fixed it and went on. It is not my duty to educate a LEO on the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Fixed it and went on. It is not my duty to educate a LEO on the laws.
    This is what I would hove done too.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

The only sure thing in a peeing match, is wet shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The only sure thing in a peeing match, is wet shoes.

Being that the LEO was the one with the Badge and Gun, you're the one that ends up with wet shoes.

Biker

When you want to win the war, you have to pick your battles...you'll never win them all.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In retrospect, if I was getting coffee and was caught off-guard with this benign statement and not having time to think about it, I probably would have done the same thing my friend did. Even given the benefit of having had time to think about it, that is probably the wise thing to do.

Yep, just thank the officer for pointing it out to you, shove the pistol down in your pocket and go about your business. The checkout line is for paying for goods, not getting into arguments about the finer points of a states concealed carry laws.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links