Traveling from Texas to Michigan

This is a discussion on Traveling from Texas to Michigan within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We will be taking traveling from Texas to Michigan soon. I just want to double check whether the staes we will be traveling through have ...

Thread: Traveling from Texas to Michigan

We will be taking traveling from Texas to Michigan soon. I just want to double check whether the staes we will be traveling through have a castle doctrine and that it extends to the vehicle like ours does. I do have my CHL on the way and may have it in time but its going to be close, may miss it by a day or two, so wanted to be sure was ok in the vehicle. The states concerned are OK, MO, IN and MI. will be through Illinois as well but already no its out of the question there. Any other helpful info is appreciated too. Thanks

Check handgunlaw.us

Find most of what you'll need right here... http://www.usacarry.com/
    The two maps in the upper left corner can be your friend.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You must have your home state CPL to carry in Michigan.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

This will give you all the information that you need for Michigan.

http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/

Reciprocity
    http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_ccwrec.asp

If you receive your Texas CHL in time, it is honored in OK, MO, MI, and IN. That means you can conceal carry your firearm on your person in those states inside or outside your vehicle. You will still have to obey any prohibited places in each state and each state is different. Stay out of Federal buildings, Post Office property, law enforcement/government buildings and bars and you should be OK, although some states prohibit concealed carry anywhere alcohol is sold and/or consumed.

If you don't get your CHL in time, and while traveling through Illinois you have one of two options. You can either obey the state law of each state you are traveling through and adjust the transport method of the gun in each state. OR if you are just traveling through and stopping for tourist activities in a state, you can transport your gun according to Federal law, 18 USC 926a known as FOPA (Firearms Owners Protection Act):
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...6---A000-.html

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    That means lock the unloaded gun AND ammunition in the trunk/exterior compartment of your vehicle; or if your vehicle does not have a trunk, lock the unloaded gun AND ammunition in a case and stash the locked case somewhere out of sight. Many people advocate putting the gun in the trunk or case and the ammo in the glovebox. This is faulty for two reasons: 1. If you are stopped for a traffic stop, where are your registration and insurance likely to be? This increases the chance of the LEO seeing the ammo and having a reason to ask you about weapons. 2. It violates FOPA and you will have given up any protection offered by FOPA right up front.

You can also call the State police in for those states. I did so on my way out to Montana last year and had a really nice chat with the trooper in IL.

You are ok in Michigan with you CHL... IN Michigan we horror 38 states carry permits. and viceversa...

So as was posted, handgun laws website, and us carry is a good source to get the info you need.
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by XDM40cal View Post
    You are ok in Michigan with you CHL... IN Michigan we horror 38 states carry permits. and viceversa...

So as was posted, handgun laws website, and us carry is a good source to get the info you need.
    Handgunlaw.us states that Michigan honors all other states' resident permits. Wouldn't that be more than 38? The same site only lists 36 states that honor Michigan's permit, three of those being AZ, VT and AK which actually require no permit at all to conceal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by LCDR View Post
    Handgunlaw.us states that Michigan honors all other states' resident permits. Wouldn't that be more than 38? The same site only lists 36 states that honor Michigan's permit, three of those being AZ, VT and AK which actually require no permit at all to conceal carry.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/michigan.pdf

Well i counted from being in michigan, AK*, AL, AR, AZ, CO, DE, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, NH, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, OH, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX,
    UT, VA, VT*, WA, WV, WY
    And you sir are correct, I must have some how mis-counted... I've mis spoke its 36..
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Sponsored Links