I didn't know Denver was so safe... - Page 2

I didn't know Denver was so safe...

This is a discussion on I didn't know Denver was so safe... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In terms of population the Denver metro area is only medium. In terms of the square miles it covers it is on the larger end. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I didn't know Denver was so safe...

In terms of population the Denver metro area is only medium. In terms of the square miles it covers it is on the larger end. As the poster said, when you fly in at night it SEEMS really big, because the lights stretch for miles and miles. Basically, you have one continuous metro area that goes from Boulder down past Parker.

Back to the original subject, anyone who thinks that Denver doesn't have ANY areas that are dangerous to walk at night is either woefully unfamiliar with the city, or has their head buried in the sand all the way to their ankles!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n
    Back to the original subject, anyone who thinks that Denver doesn't have ANY areas that are dangerous to walk at night is either woefully unfamiliar with the city, or has their head buried in the sand all the way to their ankles!
    Of course, the same people would think it is safe to walk through Central Park in New York at night.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Denver has the same problems as any other city, but they tend to dwell on themselves more since its the only major metro area between KC and San Fran. And yes, it is trying to be the San Fran of the Rockies, aligning itself with Boulder to form a liberal haven from reality. I live in SE Aurora (eastern suburb) and it has its issues as well, but then that's why I always carry. My wife's sister's family live in the Highlands area of Denver and its full of nothing but Pollyanna libs and Mexicans, another good reason for carrying.

Most of Colorado despises the Denver/Boulder area as they try to be like Chicago by imposing its will over the state and sucking in tax money like a bum with money in a liquor store. As soon as we can we're going to move away from Denver, maybe to Ft. Collins since we both like it up there and its 2A friendly.

On a positive note, I got a call from the Arapahoe County Sheriff yesterday and they sent my permit app upstairs for approval yesterday. This means that I should have my CO permit in the next week or so! All they wanted me to do is change my drivers license so that it reflects my correct home address and send them the contact info for my NRA instructor from VA so they can verify the coursework with him. This will be my sixth permit and finally allow me to not have to carry on my NH & FL permits in Denver.

I lived 20 miles South of Denver in Parker until I retired 3 years ago. Federal Avenue and East Colfax are essentially "Free Fire Zones" during the Summer months. The last Cinque de Mayo "Parade" I saw on Federal was the site of several shootings, one of which was fatal.

Nice Town! Like all other "leftist" cities, they think outlawing guns will cure crime.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    They immediately assured me that Denver was very safe, and told us that they would walk anywhere in Denver at night and feel safe.
    Sadly, they sound as though they are one good mugging away from reality...

I live in a suburb of Denver, and can assure you that there are some areas of the city that I don't like walking unarmed in.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

For some reason, I've got it in my mind that the city of Denver made carrying concealed illegal within city limits? Is that so, or am I just imagining things or getting it mixed up with some other "anti" law they have?
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

Ya know, If they did a little google search on serial rapes in the Denver area over the last few years, They'd probably run out of town leaving their belongings behind for the homeless.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaltered
    For some reason, I've got it in my mind that the city of Denver made carrying concealed illegal within city limits? Is that so, or am I just imagining things or getting it mixed up with some other "anti" law they have?
    Well, for some reason they tried to, but a few years back the state passed a law making CCW state wide and preventing local entities from making CCW illegal.
    Otherwise it was illegal to travel up I-70 while armed unless you stopped outside Georgetown and disarmed before passing through on the interstate. Not too many ways around Georgetown without making a day of travel through the mountain passes.

That is my paraphrase of the situation anyhow.

I can even carry in Boulder if I want, though It would not be too bright of me to; First, go to boulder, Second let myself be identified by any authority in Boulder that I was CCW. (Bunch of pot smokin' hippies anyhow.)

Sorry if anyone here is from Boulder.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Boulder

I have in-laws in Boulder and minus the pot smoking you got them and most of the folks I met there pegged. A few to many yuppies, hippies, and college elite types for this red neck boys tastes.
    There are only 2 people I trust in this world and you ain't one of'em!

Senior Moderator
    My daughter lives in Denver - 8 or 9 blocks from downtown. She is always in condition orange when arriving at or leaving her office, and is not silly about personal security. I am going to start "lobbying" her to get a CC license - she'll do it someday.

Denver has some extremely dangerous areas - just as any city does.

We prefer to go get lost in the mountains and never see anyone not invited.

"He went on two legs, wore clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes. He had learned a good deal . . . and was a fairly clever fellow. What he had not learned, however, was this: to find contentment in himself and his own life. The cause of this apparently was that at the bottom of his heart he knew all the time (or thought he knew) that he was in reality not a man, but a wolf of the Steppes."

DC Founder
    I was in the Denver Police Reserve some years back and found the crime to be similar as other large cities. At that time we received an above average level of domestic and gang violence calls, lots of drug calls, robberies, burglaries and a few murders. It is as important to carry in Denver as it is here in Phoenix, or Dallas/Ft Worth, or Miami, or....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Back in the good old days, 1967, I lived in Denver for a year. I really would go anyplace 24 hours a day without any problems. Yes there were the flower children, moonies, and other dirt bags wanting money; but, there never was any threats made toward me. The last time there was in 1982, thanks anyway Denver; however, with concealed carry, some places would probably still be OK after dark.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I hate Denver , now that is out of the way , I have not been anywhere in Denver including east colfax at night ( go set at the Ihop and have coffee at 2 am LOL ) and I have never truly felt threatened ( as compared to going on a hot call LOL ) Point is I guess for whatever reason Denver does not seem to have a real high crime rate for folks that are not engaged in criminal activity themselves .
    That being said on Denver , its still the pustule on the armpit of Colorado only to be visited under duress imho .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Hmmmm If Denver is SAFE.Why do I feel I have to carry???????
    Lived some where in Denver and area most of my life.

VIP Member
    I'm glad my wife and I will be able to carry when we go to Colorado next. We visit her cousin who is a city LEO in Pueblo and we always go up to Castle Rock and Col Springs.
    I think we'll be safe
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links