I didn't know Denver was so safe...

This is a discussion on I didn't know Denver was so safe... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I, while vacationing in the west for a month, stopped to visit one of her relatives, a niece, in Denver. We arrived ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I didn't know Denver was so safe...

I didn't know Denver was so safe...

My wife and I, while vacationing in the west for a month, stopped to visit one of her relatives, a niece, in Denver. We arrived at night, and I took note of what the area looked like, and it was anything but harmless looking. Since I'm legal to carry in CO, I had boned up on their rules about carry (which by the way are quite permissive) the day before we entered the state, as was my practice during the trip. That in mind, I made sure I had my trusty little Glock 26 on my person or nearby throughout the two-day visit.

To briefly describe the setting, these two young women rent a floor of an old home. Out the rear is an alley, containing among other things a crazy lady living in a truck that is stacked at least 12' high with junk atop it...it was hilarious, since there were 3-4 bikes entangled in the mess; I regret now that I didn't take a picture. Next door is an abandoned, boarded-up synagogue. Each night several street dwellers showed up to bang in the boarded up front door, and I think they gained access to stay within while we were there.

I was assured that it was safe to park my car on the street, since "...nobody's ever been broken into in this neighborhood..."; I noticed a lot (and I mean a continuous low pile) of shattered window glass lying in close to the curb for as far as I could see in each direction, which shook my confidence in that statement...so I totally unloaded the car, not wanting to lose even my owners manual or road atlas...heh.

OK, now that you got the picture, so on to the heart of this post.

While having a conversation about the city, where they have lived for about a year, I softly challenged their lack of concern for their personal safety, wanting to move into a discussion of firearms, or at the least introduce the topic of pepper spray into the talk. They immediately assured me that Denver was very safe, and told us that they would walk anywhere in Denver at night and feel safe. Frankly, that's when I decided it was too long a journey to undertake...we had a bit more of a chat about their lovely city, during which I assured them that they were taking way too many chances...they gently treated me as if I were way too paranoid, so I left it at that. Oh, at one point I mentioned that I legally and regularly carried a concealed pistol for personal protection, and was met with a mild reaction from them that basically meant they regarded me as some kind of kook--no folks, I'm not the weirdo here...heh...it was a frustrating time.

And, being women, they are even more prone to injury or death because of the element of sexual assault, so may as well have had "Willing Victim" tattooed on their foreheads!

The only caveat I add is that I'm not bashing Denver, for I found it to be a very nice city and we enjoyed our visit. I would feel the same anywhere, for I really don't know of any city where I would walk anywhere at night and feel totally safe; that's just reality.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; June 28th, 2006 at 12:49 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    ....These two people, both women who are even more prone to being victims because of the element of sexual assault, may as well have "Willing Victim" tattooed on their foreheads!
    I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. I run into the same stupid attitude from a friend of my wife's who STILL lives in Chicago. "Oh nothing ever happens here." Then I read the paper the next day, browsing through the police blotter section and see a half dozen calls into the neighborhood for various violations, including but not limited to attempted rape, rape, murder, attempted murder, aggrevated assault, and various lesser, but still violent crimes.

And people wonder why I carry a gun!

Assistant Administrator
    All I saw of Denver was as I came in to land one evening - boy is that LARGE!!! I could have imagined coming in to LA! Lights as far as eye could see.

Just by laws of averages in cities so large and even in ''good'' areas - stuff happens!! Of course statistically those folks probably will be just fine - but - they do lack the means and attitude to cope if Murphy chooses them one day for a FUBAR excercize.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Al, I just noticed you're from Lansing. I'm a Michigander by birth, grew up in Bay City, graduated from MSU in 1973 and worked for Farm Bureau Insurance Group out on W. Saginaw for a couple of years before heading out to WI and MN for the rest of my business career.

i live an hour north of denver. not so safe of a city.a guy i work with, his son was carjacked at a park in a good part of town. the carjacker had a gun and scared his son and girlfriend good.they have not been to denver since.
    "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Lived there, and travelled through. The young ladies sound like part of the wave of post-quake Californicators that have overrun the state. Nice people, but not overly bright. CO hasn't had a real winter in going on 30 years. Another blizzard and freeze like 1977, and there will be a mass exodus.....at least of those that don't freeze to death trying to walk to Starbucks.....

I just moved from Denver last year. I am constantly being elbowed in the rib cage by my wife for that move... we now live in Houston.

We lived Downtown Denver in "Lodo" on 15th street. My wife and I often walked to work. Now those of you who are familiar with Downtown Denver, there are seemingly a LOT of homeless and mentally ill running around on 16th street. There are no shortage Panhandlers about either. If I walk down 16th street and am not approached by a panhandler, I am shocked. It happens everytime. Its a way of life in some cities, and there is nothing I can do about it.

Now, I didnt have my CHL then either... however I did always feel safe walking with my wife downtown Denver no matter what hour of the night or morning. The bums, panhandlers etc... are for the most part just that. They may be criminals, as far as theft goes... but thankfully I;d be willing to bet that 99% of them are not Violent Criminals. Its the 1% or less that does raise the hair on the back of your neck. Now I live in Houston, and have my CHL.

We have bums and panhandlers here in Houston as well.... the only difference is from Denver is that the homeless here have Guns! Now I have mine too. Heckler & Koch... the Original point and click interface.

I lived in Denver (and surrounding area) for seven years. Not a bad place, but to say that it is without violent crime is pretty ostrich-esque.

All villages, towns, and cities have an undesirable element - no matter how many parks beautify the area. Draw a straight line from NYC to LA (or Atlanta to Seattle, for that matter) and you will bisect a predictable number of violent criminals.

Rosy glasses are fine in certain cases - but when it comes to crime those glasses can be fatal.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The only caveat I add is that I'm not bashing Denver
    Well go ahead bash away . All of us who live in real colorado detest denver , among other left wing looney sancuarys we have , ahh well the places serve to show the kids just how illogical liberals are lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Denver bad. Colorado Springs good.

:D

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout
    Not a bad place, but to say that it is without violent crime is pretty ostrich-esque.

Rosy glasses are fine in certain cases - but when it comes to crime those glasses can be fatal.
    You mis-read my post. I didnt say that it was without violent crime, and I dont wear rose colored glasses. I wear clear shooting glasses.

97Octane,

I think perhaps you have misread mine. My post was in response to the original poster's wife's niece and her friend. How's that for confusing. :)

You are here on this board and carry. I have no doubt about your glasses.

PapaScout
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout
    I think perhaps you have misread mine. My post was in response to the original poster's wife's niece and her friend. How's that for confusing. :)

PapaScout
    Im just an all around whipping boy today. I need another cup of coffee

By all means, go get your cup of coffee. And when you come back try not to be so sensitive. haha :)

Denver

First off, Denver is not a "large" city, as most cities go. Only has a population of 500,000. Of course, add in the illegal immigrants and it's probably closer to 1,000,000.

The best thing that could be done with Denver is to blow up anything with in the C-470/E-470 circle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links