Walmart manager's bad joke

This is a discussion on Walmart manager's bad joke within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You should have said something to the managrer at the LEAST. Maybe even emailed corporate if his response wasn't one of apology for potentially causing ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Walmart manager's bad joke

You should have said something to the managrer at the LEAST. Maybe even emailed corporate if his response wasn't one of apology for potentially causing panic.

2. Remove Ads

Going to Wal-Mart to buy oil and .45s. Only way that could have been manlier is if Chuck Norris was with you.

Not cool at all.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

A Taurus 1911 needs a full quart? Shoulda got a Colt.
    Hahaha!

Bad joke from the manager. Its too bad he didn't realize how he almost got his 'buddy' on the business end of your weapon. Good reaction from you i'd say. Its a shame there are still folks out there that don't understand that the reason folks carry a weapon is for situations like the one he put you in (if it were real).
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

Thanks for everyones advice on this situation. I am pretty new to carrying,I've only had my permit about 4 months now. I guess it just goes to show you never know when or where you'll be thrown into a bad situation. one of the things that kept me calm is what my CHL instructor said, "draw your gun,go to jail." and I'm a pretty calm person,it takes a lot to get me stressed or upset. my gun was still concealed but i was getting ready for whatever came next. I didnt have any intention of drawing until I was 100% positive he really was armed and was a real threat. Where I live we can defend a thtird persons liife if necessary,I'm really glad I kept it together and just walked out in a worse mood than when i went in. This particular Walmart store has a reputation with the police as a haven for criminals and troublemakers,since its open 24 hours. After all the bars close the drunks ,drug addicts,werewolves and vampires have to have somewhere else to go at 2 a.m. I have learned to watch people,to see who stands out,most people never pay any attention to you,they go on about their business oblivious to the rest of the surroundings and whats going on.

Chuck Norris didnt need any .45's. he had plenty. lol

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    After all the bars close the ... werewolves and vampires have to have somewhere else to go at 2 a.m.
    We ban Werewolves at ours. . . they kept destroying the meat department.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    WOW! I would make sure that the correct persons are notified... also re-enforcing that anyone legally carrying a handgun whether CONCEALED or OPENLY in Wal-mart is in the clear, because Corporate Wal-mart follows State laws when dealing with firearms.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Don't yell fire in a theatre! what if someone tackled the guy?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I can understand the OP's consternation of having a management-type yelling 'gun' over the radio. It makes you really wonder if there is a gun incident versus some OCer minding his own business.

So what if some of the herd had bolted and trampled some little old lady? Dude was an idiot. My apologies to any idiots here.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Geez. I'd have had a hard time not drawing. Not necessarily to shoot at the man in the red hat, but to have it out in case the man in the red hat decided i was a target. I would have at least pulled my shirt up over the butt of my M&P and put my hand on it ready to draw. At the same time I'd have been looking and moving for cover, which probably would have drawn attention to myself and my now-exposed gun.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Send an email to thier website. it WILL get to the managers boss, and the manager will hear about it.
    I complained about a nasty clerk, which happened to the wife, and we got a phone call from the store manager apoligizing for his clerk and a $20 gift card. The upper management wants to know when they have managers or any employee causing customer discord, and will take it seriously.
    Just tell them you were trained for this in the service and was about to "handle the situation". That will get their attention.

No excuse for what he did.

My personal beef is with the word "joke". A joke is a story that begins something like this:

"A nun walks into a bar with a parrott on her shoulder, and says to the bartender... blah, blah, blah.....punchline."

That's a "joke".

Making rude comments or immature shout-outs like this does not constitute "making a joke". Saying (or shouting out) anything to goof on someone else can't be plastered over by calling it a "joke".

The "manager" is a loudmouthed d-bag.

Joker? Not even close.

I would have just smiled at the men and said "hey man, you know that's not a smart joke to make at the ammo counter!" and chuckled *with* him at his poor decision.

that way you show him his mistake without making a fool of yourself or the manager. IME, people are more apt to change their behaviour when they aren't made to feel stupid or angry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    And OP would have realized his own when he was arrested for brandishing. It was a non-credible threat. You can't use someone else's reaction to gauge a threat, no matter how much adrenaline gets dumped into your blood. I don't know if I'd be able to resist telling the manager that I called 911 though. . . the look on his face as he tried to figure out a way to explain this to LE would have been priceless. Especially since the only one that would know they weren't coming would be me :)
    We know now that it was not a credible threat...

But in the miniscule period of time, the OP had to make a decision. IN CONTEXT OF THE EVENT, the OP **MIGHT** have been justified to draw based on what he heard and then saw.

So before people start throwing out the "brandishing" word....I think we need to re-look the definition: "To wave or flourish (a weapon, for example) menacingly." (from: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/brandish) ...empahsis added
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links