Walmart manager's bad joke

This is a discussion on Walmart manager's bad joke within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to go to walmart yesterday and pickup a quart of oil and a box of .45's for my new taurus 1911. I decided ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart manager's bad joke

Walmart manager's bad joke

I had to go to walmart yesterday and pickup a quart of oil and a box of .45's for my new taurus 1911. I decided to check out at the sporting goods counter,thinking this would be quicker than the registers up front. I asked the guy behind the register for the ammo and he got it from behind te register and began to scan everything.Now things take a turn for the worse, a male walmart manager (Khaki pants and white dress shirt) walks past the sporting goods register where i was checking out,then suddenly yanks the radio from his waist and YELLS "Security! Security! man in the red hat is armed!" he yells this loud enough that people 4 or 5 isles over are looking. I casually glimpse over my left shoulder and see a man wearing a red baseball hat directly behind me. I dont have full view of the man because of a display between me and him. I cant see his hands or whats in them. at this point there is about 10 feet between the walmart manager on my right and the man in the hat and about 6 feet between me and the man in the red hat. Now the guy behind the register has finished ringing me up but he's as surptised as i am. My hand instantly goes for my 1911 because I dont knw what the guy in the hat is armed with,if its a baseball ball or a gun,there was a isle of baseball bats and other related items on the isle where he was standing. after about 5 seconds of dead silence the manager runs up and starts hugging the guy in the baseball cap. evidentally they were related someway. and hadnt seen each other in a long time. the manager's intention was to scare his long lost friend or relative,but, he scared me carrying a gun and thats even worse. I walked right past these two who were hugging and shaking hands and gave the manager a go to hell look,thinking I almost drew my gun over some bad joke. I was furious when i left that store.
    Last edited by poppy37; September 5th, 2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Remove Ads

I can assure you if that happened while I was in that store I would have been mad enough to go get the store manager and file a complaint. That kind of behavior is unacceptable. Who knows what could have happened depending on who was in the area.

I'm going to assume that you didn't pull your 1911. So good job for not panicking and turning the situation into something far worse for you.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    uh wow, this was a major failure to think on that managers part, can you imagine if a cop overheard this and had stepped in and drawn down or tackled the man? what a jerk wagon, that was imo not a intelligent man, and you most assuredly should have pointed out his lack of intelligence to his supervisor
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

GM
    Not very good
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

That was a pretty stupid thing to do.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The fact that you were armed has no bearing on this situation. What does matter is that case recently where a crazy woman grabbed two knives from the cutlery aisle and went berserk, slashing other customers.

I would have filed a complaint, with an eye toward getting this fellow reprimanded. You don't shout "bomb!" as a joke in an airport, and you shouldn't do anything similar in a store.

Now, with that out of the way, it's worth noting that for some perverse reason, which must involve Satan himself, Wal-Marts seem to be extremely safe places. It's weird, given the bizarre creatures that shop at them, that we don't have more freak-outs, robberies, hostage situations, protests, and so forth going on under the big yellow happy face of Chinese economic empowerment.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    .....pickup a quart of oil and a box of .45's for my new taurus 1911. ...
    A Taurus 1911 needs a full quart? Shoulda got a Colt.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    A Taurus 1911 needs a full quart? Shoulda got a Colt.
    Skippys...thanks for the laugh
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Maturity and professionalism go so far these days.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I should have filed a complaint,but I was way to mad. I think I will email the main office though. I didnt draw my gun but i had my hand on it ready for action. this particular walmart tends to hire college kids because I live in a college town. I would say the manager was about 25 or so. since I didnt hace full view of the man in the baseball cap i didnt draw my gun since I wasnt 100% sure he was actually armed. It took all i had not to draw it though. i'm still mad as hell over the incident. II'm not sure if he was a department manager or who but he needs to be fired.

Angry

This guy needs to be taken to the mangers office and turned over someone's knee. This incident could have blown up into a real disaster.
    You showed excellent judgment, at the time. However, I would have made a complaint before I left the store.
    If they hire college kids, that's their problem, but the sales floor is no place for fraternity stupidity.
    NRA Life Member
    Irish Diplomacy:
    The ability to tell someone to go to Hell, in such a way that they are looking forward to the trip.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What they all said--plus one!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Angry

What a jerk ! No different than yelling "fire" in a crowded theater. That could have been a very bad scene. Good job OP.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Amazing how common sense is becoming an uncommon virtue...

Cheers
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Why do people keep expecting Wal-Mart employees to be of sound mind and judgment? It's one rung above fast food......barely.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links