Can't Carry at the County Fair

This is a discussion on Can't Carry at the County Fair within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LibertyGal I wonder if they would/could prevent entry by a CCW, though? Just because they have a metal detector, doesn't necessarily mean ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't Carry at the County Fair

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyGal
    I wonder if they would/could prevent entry by a CCW, though? Just because they have a metal detector, doesn't necessarily mean that someone who lawfully carries would be denied, does it? Would it be worth another confidential conversation with the sheriff if you want to go back another night? I mean, you wouldn't want to just "surprise" them by going through the detector and then trying to explain your way out of it, but giving him a heads up beforehand . . . maybe you could come to an agreement if they really didn't have a specific ordinance or other lawful order in place but were just kind of screening off the cuff . . .

LibertyGal
    though they prbably would have allowed him as no signs were posted who wants to tell everyone they are carrying? I would of pulled the cop to the side and asked if i have a ccw can i carry inside. Simple as that only 1 person needs to know.

2. Remove Ads

Two or three years ago, before I had my CCW, I was stopped while entering the AZ State Fair here in Phoenix. The officer at the gate (I think he was DPS) had seen the clip of my pocket knife and pulled me back throught the gate. He then pointed to a "No Weapons" sign and made me put it in the car.

From what I've learned now, the knife I was carrying, a 3" pocket knife supposedly isn't considered a weapon in AZ. And when I was walking through the gate I could not see the sign at all.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by DParker
    My Kalifornia permit restricts carry at "a public event where alcohol is served or consumed."

I would assume that includes most county fairs. I wonder if paying admission changes the nature of the event from "public" to "private".
    Where does your permit state that? Mine doesn't say that anywhere???
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyGal
    The admission fee should have no effect on that.
    logically you are correct. in practice however, an admission fee changes everything in many areas. while visiting family in north carolina a few weeks ago we decided to visit a water park. i knew that NC honors my MT CWP but decided to check first on water parks. luckily this happened to be one of those rare times when packing.org was actually working so i pulled it up and found north carolina law specifically dealing with this issue:

ß 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

......i didnt make it to the water park.

Our fair is on the state fair grounds (against CCH rules), they serve alcohol and it's consumed there (against CCH rules), and it's a place that charges admission (against CCH rules). I'm not a fan of fairs and don't go anyway, but now I have three more excuses.
    Last edited by Todd; July 3rd, 2006 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman
    Where does your permit state that? Mine doesn't say that anywhere???
    It's part of my County's restrictions. Issuers in CA may add any restrictions they feel like to any permit.

Here is a scan of the restrictions added to the back of my permit by Madera County.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I hate carnivals.....
    I do like looking at the exhibits, though....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    makes me appreciative of my state's laws on chl and firearms (there are a couple of things I think need tweaking though)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links