Defensive Carry banner

Can't Carry at the County Fair

15K views 30 replies 28 participants last post by  royal barnes 
#1 ·
Went to the county fair last night. Met the family there after work. Had to park about 2 miles from the entrance and it was about 95 degrees. Got to the entry gate bought my ticket and noticed they were making everyone walk through a metal detector. I called my wife because she was just on the inside of the gate waiting for me. Told her that I had to go back to my car because I had my gun on me and they won't let me in with it.

Of course this gave her another reason to get on me about carrying. She is pretty anti. Anyways had to walk back and put the gun in my car safe and then it was back to the fair for a fun evening.

Talked to a sheriff who said it was due to all of the gang bangers that they have had to use the metal detectors. Thanks.......:aargh4:

#2 ·
I wonder if they would/could prevent entry by a CCW, though? Just because they have a metal detector, doesn't necessarily mean that someone who lawfully carries would be denied, does it? Would it be worth another confidential conversation with the sheriff if you want to go back another night? I mean, you wouldn't want to just "surprise" them by going through the detector and then trying to explain your way out of it, but giving him a heads up beforehand . . . maybe you could come to an agreement if they really didn't have a specific ordinance or other lawful order in place but were just kind of screening off the cuff . . .

LibertyGal

#3 ·
I recently walked through a metal detector carrying my H&K USPc .45 on my hip - even after wanding me I was allowed to pass - no one ever noticed I was carrying. This was a public place with dozens of LEO working, lawfull carry was permitted. I didn't worry about a thing and just went about my business.

#6 ·
I almost went to the Woodford County fair (next county over from me) a couple weeks ago. Instead, I kept my money and sent them a nice e-mail because they didn't allow CCW (not just metal detectors). I just don't get how businesses want to restrict a demographic of people that have just about the lowest crime rates ever.

#7 ·
Little closed minds abound in politics and government. We can only hope that the same condition will carry over to the mouth.

#8 ·
Shucks - the day my County Fair tries this sorta crap will be the last time I go!

Metal detectors or not - even they cannot guarantee a BG gun-free zone. I'll keep my insurance just where it should be thank you. :wink:

#13 ·
Time for someone to lobby for State Preemption of local gun laws.

In WA State, one can't carry at a Rock Concert but fairs, etc are OK with CPL (WA's CCW permit).

Cities and Counties are restricted from passing more strict laws than State. Makes for a little more uniform playing field.

#16 ·
LibertyGal said:
I wonder if they would/could prevent entry by a CCW, though? Just because they have a metal detector, doesn't necessarily mean that someone who lawfully carries would be denied, does it? Would it be worth another confidential conversation with the sheriff if you want to go back another night? I mean, you wouldn't want to just "surprise" them by going through the detector and then trying to explain your way out of it, but giving him a heads up beforehand . . . maybe you could come to an agreement if they really didn't have a specific ordinance or other lawful order in place but were just kind of screening off the cuff . . .

LibertyGal
though they prbably would have allowed him as no signs were posted who wants to tell everyone they are carrying? I would of pulled the cop to the side and asked if i have a ccw can i carry inside. Simple as that only 1 person needs to know.

#17 ·
Two or three years ago, before I had my CCW, I was stopped while entering the AZ State Fair here in Phoenix. The officer at the gate (I think he was DPS) had seen the clip of my pocket knife and pulled me back throught the gate. He then pointed to a "No Weapons" sign and made me put it in the car.

From what I've learned now, the knife I was carrying, a 3" pocket knife supposedly isn't considered a weapon in AZ. And when I was walking through the gate I could not see the sign at all.

#18 ·
DParker said:
My Kalifornia permit restricts carry at "a public event where alcohol is served or consumed."

I would assume that includes most county fairs. I wonder if paying admission changes the nature of the event from "public" to "private".
Where does your permit state that? Mine doesn't say that anywhere???

#19 ·
LibertyGal said:
The admission fee should have no effect on that.
logically you are correct. in practice however, an admission fee changes everything in many areas. while visiting family in north carolina a few weeks ago we decided to visit a water park. i knew that NC honors my MT CWP but decided to check first on water parks. luckily this happened to be one of those rare times when packing.org was actually working so i pulled it up and found north carolina law specifically dealing with this issue:

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

......i didnt make it to the water park.

#30 ·
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

......i didnt make it to the water park.
NC guys please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought this law had been changed a few years ago where the admission is no longer an issue with places that are not otherwise restricted.

#23 ·
makes me appreciative of my state's laws on chl and firearms (there are a couple of things I think need tweaking though)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.